Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

Warning to anyone considering an M3000 competition from moa precision!!! Do not call them If you are easily charmed by super-nice,low key knowledgable people.That being said my new M3000 should be in my hands in a couple of weeks!

JB

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+20 on the MOA Precision M3000

I had Tom do mine early in the spring and I am tickled by that gun. Its just like my AR, its NEVER failed me once. EVER. It runs anything I stuff in it (shot, not tried slugs yet) and is just a pleasure to shoot. Probably one of my best investments and have Pat Kelley to thank for steering me towards it and then Tom for slicking her up for me.

What are the thoughts about polishing up the mag tube a little to let the recoil spring glide over it easier?

I bought a assortment of ver fine sandpaper at Walmart and worked over the mag tube when I was working on the loading port. I did it before I ever fired it, so I don't have any comparison but I don't have any complaints.

Anyone polished the mag tube and then Frog lubed for rust control and lubricity?I know powdered graphite has been mentioned but wonder if Frog-lubing might not be a good way to go...the whole treatment with degreasing,applying and heating etc.?

Edited by DFABOVE

On my personal gun I have started just giving it a hit of CLP on the outside of the mag tube. I use graphite only on the inside to keep goop out of the mag tube. Lube inside the tube gunks up the shells and the follower.

BTW, polishing the outside of the mag tube is now standard on the competition upgrade pkg. The tube comes out anyway for receiver porting, so we just throw it on the lathe and shine her up while it is out. WAY less work than hand polishing on the receiver. :)

7 trouble free matches with my MOA M3K! Close to 1600 Rds since the work was done. Still very happy with the gun and get compliments on the port work regularly.

I did polish my own tube. Good to hear it's now done at moa standard.

The TTI gate is a must have mod.

I also took a chop saw to my stock and removed about a 1/4 of an inch and now I can mount it easily without hanging up in my shirt.

After reading all of the information on this site, as well as www.thetacticalbay.com, I decided to take the M3000 Plunge vs a M2. I nabbed a 26" model from the local Gander Mountain for $499 (I know there are better deals to be had, but it was quick and easy).

I took it home and diagnosed the machine. The action was brutal, the safety was brutal, the overall fit and finish was brutal.

Knowing that many have made this a capable tool, I decided to go to work. Using both elbow grease and a credit card, I think we may have something worth writing home about.

I took 180->320->600->1000->2000 grit paper to the Recoil (magazine) tube until it was perfect from the top to bottom...buttery smooth. Zipper sound gone. Threw some White Lithium at it to lube it up. (For Now)

I then went to work on the trigger group. Added the Taran Tactical Oversized Safety. This was a vast inprovemtent in terms of control and operation. Much smoother, but wondering what the RO will say since there is no RED available to see at completion check.

Lastly, I installed the oversized Bolt Release. Took the gun apart per Tactial Bay and Tapped the head with a 5-40. Re-assembled and added the release with a copious amount of blue Loctite after it was aligned.

Next up is opening up the feed port, but I figured that could wait until it had a few rounds under its belt and the mods were still somewhat reversible.

Cant wait for th upcoming 3-Gun comps in WI. I will be using a HK USP 40 and a Custom Bushmaster (eeeek) for each class.

EDIT: This is a Nordic Components +8 Benelli Super Nova Tube on a 26" Gun. Holds 12x 2.75 shells with no modification to the spring at all. No modifications we're needed and the nut bottomed out just fine. Internal transition is as smooth as you can ask for for a tube extension. Ship date (To Gander of this gun is Aug 22, 2013

ScreenShot2014-07-25at105528PM_zpsd93bd1

Stoeger-1_zpsab1e9e2d.jpg

Edited by Bader3245

Honestly I'm not sure why you all make a issue about polishing the mag tube ? When I fire a gun I always wear double ear protection, and the boom from the gun can't hear any zipper sound what so ever

It may not have made a difference in the real world, but you cannot argue that its an improvement opportunity. Smooth running bearing surfaces make this Engineer happy. It was worth the effort, in the realm of satisfaction for me.

Hi Tom,

I can't wait to get my MOA comp. special!!! Hurry up brother....the wait is killin me! Did you ever think about a different color magazine follower that would be easier for the RO's to see? Maybe even something that could be glued,bonded or somehow affixed to the end?...Waiting for Santa!!!!

JB

Edited by DFABOVE

We have had a couple requests for different colors. Original thinking was that anything NOT brass or silver means no more shells, and hardcoat (type III) anodizing only comes in black. Red would be type II anodizing, which is not as wear resistant. Still considering the subject.

Santa says looks like your new baby should ship Monday. :)

Boom, reason for polishing is not to reduce noise, but friction. Theoretically, reducing drag on the tube increases reliability with the lighter loads as it reduces the energy necessary to cycle the bolt fully rearward. However, customers cycling the bolt in the shop rave about how smooth and slick the bolt runs, so it helps with sales too :)

Thanks Tom; This issue of noise was started many post ago, and it seems trivial to me. Wouldn't hard chroming ,or NP3 coating after polishing it smooth eliminate drag, and decrease friction better ? another opportunity LOL :cheers:

Anyone polished the mag tube and then Frog lubed for rust control and lubricity?I know powdered graphite has been mentioned but wonder if Frog-lubing might not be a good way to go...the whole treatment with degreasing,applying and heating etc.?

You don't want oil inside the mag tube it will attract dirt and dust. Graphite is all you need inside. I lube the outside generously with Mobil 1 after every cleaning and before a match.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Literally has taken me 3 days to read every post in this thread. Happen to see a reference to Jesse and the M3000 on facebook, found his videos and started my research on this gun. Needless to say, this fall I will have a M3000 to start shooting shotgun matches with but will have to get rid of my Supernova.

Thanks to Openclassterror for the upgrades for this gun.

Keep your SuperNova as it is a 3.5" Gun. Save up until you can buy a M3000. No reason to dump the trusty ol Pump.

I'll never part with my 870, and when duck season arrives, the Hot Rod M3000 will take a bad seat to the most basic 870 Super Mag. Something about pumping a Duck Gun!

Sent my trigger to MOA to fix my doubling issue, here's what they said after receiving it.

"There is measureable wear on the trigger hook, and a little too much nose clearance on the disconnector. Combine the two, and doubling is a distinct possibility."

Disappointing to see in a gun with only ~1,000 shots fired but the fix was cheap from MOA and I'm still happy with the purchase. I could have sent it to the factory but wanted a US disconnector and the lighter trigger is an added bonus. If this is the biggest problem I have with the gun, I'll be happy.

Sent my trigger to MOA to fix my doubling issue, here's what they said after receiving it.

"There is measureable wear on the trigger hook, and a little too much nose clearance on the disconnector. Combine the two, and doubling is a distinct possibility."

Disappointing to see in a gun with only ~1,000 shots fired but the fix was cheap from MOA and I'm still happy with the purchase. I could have sent it to the factory but wanted a US disconnector and the lighter trigger is an added bonus. If this is the biggest problem I have with the gun, I'll be happy.

I discussed this issue with our sales rep yesterday when he visited our shop. There seems to be some variance in the heat-treatment of the triggers. They are case hardened only (not through-hardened), and some are NOTICEABLY easier to drill and tap for the adjustment screws than others. On the softer triggers we can usually see wear on the trigger hook if they more than 600 rounds or so through them. In and of itself, this does not always lead to doubling, as there is plenty of engagement even when the corner is worn. It is only an issue if there is less than normal disconnector engagement, as the wear allows premature release of the hammer before the disconnector can intercept it. They seem to wear only to a point, then no more. We change the hook angle on the trigger to correct the geometry error, and install our own disconnector which allows us to adjust how early it grabs. The combination of the two changes corrects the problem even on the soft triggers. The factory rep said if they get one back due to doubling, they are simply going to swap in a new trigger and hammer, rather than try to correct the soft part. Which is good customer service, but isn't going to address the underlying issue (heat treatment error at the factory). Hopefully, they will become more consistent as they go. We are tracking the serial numbers of as many as we can, so we can determine if it was just one range, or random. To be clear though, we are talking about maybe 5% of the triggers we have seen, and most of them were not malfunctioning. We simply noted that they were softer when adding the adjustment screws. Only three have come into the shop so far that were experiencing problems from it.

Tom

Edited by openclassterror

This 50 page thread is what caused me to buy one of these Stoegers. I'm a pretty mechanically adept guy, and for things I'm familiar with, I have no issues doing the work on my own. Being new to 3 gun and generally new to shotguns, I decided to let someone who really knew what was going on to handle putting the gun together. I think what impressed me most was a business owner investing the time and equipment capital to develop competition solutions for a "cheap" shotgun, and on top of that they are elegant solutions. It obviously helps that Tom and his staff are extremely helpful and knowledgable about their product. I called and left a voicemail in early July and got a prompt return phone call, where I submitted my order for a complete shotgun. I had the complete package, with the addition of a Hi-viz sight, shortened buttstock and kick eez pad added, and had the trigger guard relieved. I also requested his left handed safety. I got the gun in Saturday and was very impressed with the workmanship and upgrades. I had a mostly stock m3000 belonging to a buddy to compare against. The trigger is substantially better than stock. Looking forward to shooting it this weekend. Thanks again Tom!

I had taken some pictures of the gun to post, but not allowed due to my post count.

Jmeyers89,I could not say it better! Tom,I picked-up my MOA special from my FFL today and would like to point out some stuff for those lucky enough to be following this thread. Let's talk Value;this shotgun which included the MOA competition pkg.,the Hi-Viz front sight and the Kick-ez recoil pad installed shipped to Maui for well south of $1,000.00 including about $50.00 in postage.Mind you this is a fully developed and refined gun that has everything needed to compete with the big dogs in 3 Gun.I was blown away by the machine work in the barrel and loading area!It is finished like fine jewelry!

I was faced with the delema of buying an expensive Big 3 gun ( Benelli Beretta Remington ) or marginal ( Mossberg ) and then spending Big $$ to bring it up too speed.I live in Maui and have just a few times a year to shoot 3 gun without huge travel expense.A big thank you to Jesse,Patrick and the other Big Dogs for bringing this reasonable option to light! A thought to my fellow shooters looking for a Value...Tom Hart at MOA invested the time,money and love in the Stoeger M3000 as an American small businessman and as such should be supported! Getting off on by RW&B soap box now!

Thank's,JB

+5 for 24 (9rd +1 capacity)

+6 for 26 (10 +1)

+7 for 28 (11+1, ends up a little shorter than barrel)

You can still feel the difference in the swing when 8rd mag is empty or nearly so. Harder to tell when fully loaded. Lots of people have been buying two tubes (one flush and one long) and using short tube for club matches with low round-count stages. In THAT case, the 24 is definitely faster from target to target.

+5 for 24 (9rd +1 capacity)

+6 for 26 (10 +1)

+7 for 28 (11+1, ends up a little shorter than barrel)

You can still feel the difference in the swing when 8rd mag is empty or nearly so. Harder to tell when fully loaded. Lots of people have been buying two tubes (one flush and one long) and using short tube for club matches with low round-count stages. In THAT case, the 24 is definitely faster from target to target.

Problem solved! The Nordic Components mag tube coupler. Get that 8-9 round tube that looked cool all flushed up with the end of your barrel then add a +3-4 for big matches when having a +12 capacity is an advantage.

http://nordiccomp.com/retail/shop/mxt-tube-coupler/mxt-extension-tube-coupler/