Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is an ugly youtube video of my fat self using the extended shell release button to speed load on an empty gun start. You may have to increase the default resolution since my computer is spracking out at the moment :)

That looks fast. I need a slow motion video to see waft your actually doing though. Im still confused.

Here it is nice and slow- Watch how the palm of the hand sweeps the wider latch.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB3m4tNDwkA

SOOOO you are a computer goo roo as well :) LOL. full screen video.. Thanks for doing a close up Tom gonna do some reps. Racesnake I will get some photos of my caddies up tonight. Don't laugh at them cause they work FLAWLESSLY!!!

Edited by Oskino

Here it is nice and slow- Watch how the palm of the hand sweeps the wider latch.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB3m4tNDwkA

Badassery! That makes a lot of sense now and is very cool. How had is it to hit it every time?

With the factory latch, nearly impossible, and the serrations tear your hand up. With the larger latch and 10 minutes practice, EVERY TIME NO PROBLEM :)

The silver one by the trigger guard IS the one I am hitting. Sweeping with the side of my palm to be exact. The factory one is too small to do this. On a "port arms" start, I use my thumb to pull the bolt handle and my index finger to sweep the shell latch. I will post a video of that when I have a chance. BTW, hitting the big button (bolt release) with the bolt closed and an empty lifter will usually result in a "death jam", with two shells leaving the magazine. Bad Juju. Ask Jesse, he had to clear one at the 3GN Western Regional, as I recall.

Edited by openclassterror

So, I shot my first match today using my new Stoeger. It ran very well, I did not.

I had a number of brain farts. I found out that if you have a round on the lifter and hit the release, a second round WILL feed onto the ramp thus preventing you from loading a found into the chamber. How did this happen? Simple. Load gun, no round in chamber, cycle one into chamber, timer goes off, load additional rounds, forget you have a round ALREADY on the lifter, hit the release and Viola! a second round locks you up. Not a gun problem, a user error. Second issue was not having installed a match saver, I ran dry, grabbed a handful of rounds (4), almost dropped one into the chamber,as I was moving to hit the bolt release, I flipped the round over backwards, of course I hit the release and had a round now backwards in front of the bolt!

Tomorrow is another day! another chance to learn what else can do to embarrass my new gun.

Jim

Where was there a mztch today? I had the whole day off. I would hve went too.

Sorryabout the brain farts. That is one of the reasons why we have to be familiar with whatwe have. You were just reminded the hard way in a match.

I will see you tomorrow, try and make the same mistake for me OK!

Brian

Did K-D steel at Old Bridge. Hopefully today served as some small amount of training for tomorrow. I learned a few things.

I ordered a box of dummy rounds to practice with, they were back-ordered, got an email last night that they have finally shipped, will arrive here just in time for me to not be here and shooting FNH. Oh Well.

So, I shot my first match today using my new Stoeger. It ran very well, I did not.

I had a number of brain farts. I found out that if you have a round on the lifter and hit the release, a second round WILL feed onto the ramp thus preventing you from loading a found into the chamber. How did this happen? Simple. Load gun, no round in chamber, cycle one into chamber, timer goes off, load additional rounds, forget you have a round ALREADY on the lifter, hit the release and Viola! a second round locks you up. Not a gun problem, a user error. Second issue was not having installed a match saver, I ran dry, grabbed a handful of rounds (4), almost dropped one into the chamber,as I was moving to hit the bolt release, I flipped the round over backwards, of course I hit the release and had a round now backwards in front of the bolt!

Tomorrow is another day! another chance to learn what else can do to embarrass my new gun.

You shouldn't be able to release two shells with one already on the lifter unless something is casting the shell catch to move at the hinge.

You shouldn't be able to release two shells with one already on the lifter unless something is casting the shell catch to move at the hinge.

If you hit the bolt release with a shell on the lifter, hitting it again released another shell. If you hold the lifter up, holding the bolt release in will dump the entire magazine out, Not good on the thumb holding the lifter up!

If you hit the bolt release with a shell on the lifter, hitting it again released another shell. If you hold the lifter up, holding the bolt release in will dump the entire magazine out, Not good on the thumb holding the lifter up!

Hmmm I gotta go try this.

The BOLT release (the round button on the side of the receiver) will let a 2nd shell out if there is one on the lifter already (death jam). The SHELL release ( silver button alongside the trigger guard) will NOT release a shell if one is already on the lifter. The ONLY time you ever need to hit the round button is when the bolt is locked open and you need to close it. Any other time is bad.

The BOLT release (the round button on the side of the receiver) will let a 2nd shell out if there is one on the lifter already (death jam). The SHELL release ( silver button alongside the trigger guard) will NOT release a shell if one is already on the lifter. The ONLY time you ever need to hit the round button is when the bolt is locked open and you need to close it. Any other time is bad.

Ah ha! You are correct Tom.

I was thinking shell release button. Shell release button won't release two shells but if you push the bolt release button just right you can get it to dump two shells. That is what happened to me at the Vegas regional and when I added an Arredondo extended bolt release it got way worse. I could do it on command with the Arredondo because of the extra torque. I thought the hinged shell catch was an upgrade over the Benelli but due to that fact that it can release a shell when you don't want it to I'm not a fan of it after all. I hear the beretta 1301 with it's hinged shell catch has the same issue with an oversized button. I took the Arredondo off and don't run a bolt release button. Has bet happened since. It is a good way to force myself to never run the gun dry.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

The big bolt release is very nice if you DO run dry, as you can quickly drop a shell in the port and slap the button. It also makes Match saver use blazing fast, as you slide the shell along the receiver with your forward hand until it falls into the ejection port, slap the button with your palm, and slide your hand back into position. As long as you don't hit the button when you shouldn't, the big paddle is a good thing. If you are worried about it, rotate the paddle 180 degrees so it extends backwards. That makes it still a big target but takes away the leverage. :)

The big bolt release is very nice if you DO run dry, as you can quickly drop a shell in the port and slap the button. It also makes Match saver use blazing fast, as you slide the shell along the receiver with your forward hand until it falls into the ejection port, slap the button with your palm, and slide your hand back into position. As long as you don't hit the button when you shouldn't, the big paddle is a good thing. If you are worried about it, rotate the paddle 180 degrees so it extends backwards. That makes it still a big target but takes away the leverage. :)

Running a shotgun dry and needing a matchsaver are two things that I don't support doing/needing. I've been running without an oversized button all year and don't see myself adding one ever. I don't use an oversized charging handle either. I have been trying to keep my gun as stock as possible because that's how new shooters are going to run it.

That being said the two guns Stoeger sent me have all the go fast cool stuff on them.

Got my MOA Stoeger M3000 today. Have practiced quad loading 3 times over pay week using Invictus 8 rnd caddy, 2 times with stock 870 the other a stock M1. Tonight practiced loading all 8 from the caddy approx 10 times doing quads. This is seeming like a very smooth operator. Talked myself into timing myself, late and have to get up early but am having fun and wanted to give first impression.

Did 3 quads and 8 times loaded all 8 doing 2 quads. Not sure of proper timer technique but this is what I did. Timer hanging from front pocket of cargo shorts, MOA shouldered, beep, load, slap timer upon completion of load.

times for the quads 3.76, 3.89, 3.36. 8rnds 2 quads 7.78, fumble x the next 4 damn that timer, 8.59, 8.30 never felt clean all me. The MOA felt great.

A little about me. I have almost no experience with the previous caddy system most of my 3 gun expedience is 2002 and previous using 3 gun gear side saddle and belt system.

First impression of my MOA and Invictus loaders is pure pleasure. Thank you Tom and Kevin

Got my MOA Stoeger M3000 today. Have practiced quad loading 3 times over pay week using Invictus 8 rnd caddy, 2 times with stock 870 the other a stock M1. Tonight practiced loading all 8 from the caddy approx 10 times doing quads. This is seeming like a very smooth operator. Talked myself into timing myself, late and have to get up early but am having fun and wanted to give first impression.

Did 3 quads and 8 times loaded all 8 doing 2 quads. Not sure of proper timer technique but this is what I did. Timer hanging from front pocket of cargo shorts, MOA shouldered, beep, load, slap timer upon completion of load.

times for the quads 3.76, 3.89, 3.36. 8rnds 2 quads 7.78, fumble x the next 4 damn that timer, 8.59, 8.30 never felt clean all me. The MOA felt great.

A little about me. I have almost no experience with the previous caddy system most of my 3 gun expedience is 2002 and previous using 3 gun gear side saddle and belt system.

First impression of my MOA and Invictus loaders is pure pleasure. Thank you Tom and Kevin

I got my Stoeger back from Tom last Friday, and I really like what he did. I have the new big double-headed safety, which seems to be fine. Cut the stock down-- that makes it feel like a different gun. And moved the bolt handle to the left, as I'm left-handed. Plus the usual other work.

It ran flawlessly at the local club match Sunday, though not a lot of shotgun shooting there. The real test will be Noveske Atlanta 3-gun this weekend. Say "hello" if you see the guy with the bolt handle on the left...