Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo's future availability?

robmont

Any very experienced shooters out there have a chrystal ball, or willing to speculate as to what the future may bring in regards to ammo and reloading supplies in general. In three months, six months, next year? I got into shooting just before all this madness began to escalate out of control. Really enjoyed it at first. But this insanity is really draining all of the fun out of it for me. I know that no one really knows, but you veterans, what do you think.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This all happened last time Obama got elected. As I recall, by 6 months things were becoming available again. I personally see no reason why it shouldn't be the same this time around. Of course, I'm an optimist by nature.

I read a gun industry report a few weeks ago where each major manufacturer gave their company status. Basically all ammo manufacturing is going to fill gov then LE orders with commercial a distant 3rd. There are no reloading components available as all primers are going toward manufacture of loaded ammo. The prediction was 6-9 months before the supply becomes anything like normal ... How true this actually is is anyone's guess.

Look on the bright side, Since you now have no excuse not to be able to dry fire 5 times a week for an hr you should have a sub one second draw and 1 sec reload by the time ammo becomes available ... :)

According to industry information they are running about 50% of maximum output. They do not want to hire additional people to catch up because they know the rush and stockpilling is over. Yes they could catch up faster but at additional expense to them in addition to having to layoff the new hires once they are caught up. I got this information from an employee in the know with one of the major companies in the firearms and ammo industry.

A guy I work with is well connected to some folks at a one of the major ammo manufacturers. Their comments to him a few days ago are that they're producing 1.4 million rounds a week, and their best estimation is that casual users are buying like never before. Instead of one brick of .22's, they're buying 30. Same with other calibers.

It's going to be some time before the supply chain pipeline is fully replenished.

Everyone take a deep breath and chant with me....

Gonna be alright I know.....

The only question I have is are the same ones that got caught short this time going to be the same ones who get caught short next time.....

I'll predict this won't be as bad as the last one ... because the dreaded predictions of

new negative laws probably won't happen - and experienced shooters have been

warned and are already stocked up on essentials.

Hope I'm correct ... :cheers:

Just like before, It'll pass, although I suspect it'll take a little longer this time. I'm taking a break from shooting, for the most part, and haven't shot a match since September. It's just a coincidence of course, but my timing to take a break couldn't have been better. Only shooting about 60 rounds a week, and good many of them I'm making out of pulled bullets from rounds found on the ground over the last few years. Man, I'm glad I saved those rounds.

I have been to two stores in the last week that had cheap .40 ammo on the shelf (quite a bit of it too), no 9mm or .223 though. Gun store today had maybe 100 AR mags on an aisle for $23 a piece, not behind the counter. AK mags, lots of them too.

Edited by old506

It is my understanding that ammo makers are working full time to produce ammo. It is probably correct in saying that most of it is going to the military and LEO but some of it is finding its way to us.

Richard

It is my understanding that ammo makers are working full time to produce ammo. It is probably correct in saying that most of it is going to the military and LEO but some of it is finding its way to us.

Richard

I'm afraid many of you are living in a bubble. I was in the same bubble when they passed our NYS new gun ban laws. Have you not noticed how many states are doing the same thing!

My SWAG is 6 months if nothing else happens to refresh the panic. The supply chains have been emptied out and it will take a while to refill them. People are buying for three reasons: to shoot, panic, or to resale. Once the panic subsides the resale demand will also diminish and the over demand will drop then supply will start to rebuild.

I am concerned as legislation starts to work its way through congress then a second panic will start.

It will get better but it will be a bumpy ride.

Dave

Guncontrol act of 1968 , I remeber in 1969 my Dad stocked up , But I don't remember a big problem with ammo. In 1994 Primers got very hard to get , but projectiles were still available in the quanites I was buying. Mags went up in price, and most every one went over budget on buying.

in 1993 I remeber an expserianced shooter telling me "Competition Shooting will not last three more years"

I think now with instant information on the internet no one bothers to look for the Sun Rise in the sky. They just check the intrenet log to tell them what time Sun rise is.

Edited by AlamoShooter

I have noticed at the last gun show I was at and a lgs that the ammo is out there and not that hard to find. You just have to be willing pay double to get it. While price isnt down that much from where it was, the avalibility is up. Lots of pmag at the gun shows, $25-$30 a piece. I think once prices start to drop people will start to stock back up again. I'm guessing if you look around on the internet, 3 months if you search hard enough for reasonalbly priced ammo/reloading supplies. 6-9 months for lgs

I can't help but wonder where all of this is ending up, and if people will really shoot up everything they bought, If it starts gathering dust in your closet, let me know-I'll take it off your hands....:-)

I think alot of the people buying it right now are placing it on armslist, gunbroker etc. Armslist looks just like a list of walmarts inventory at 2-3 times the price. Gunbroker, everytime a large place releases ammo cheap it ends up marked way up on gun broker. Cabelas has stopped the mass ordering now by placing limits on ammo(they use to be a huge source for the flippers) It will really take people to quit buying off these sites at the prices as the guys doing it are making a ton of tax free income off it. Take away the reason to buy like that and they are out of the buying market It will take a few months at least