Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10 round 9mm 1911 mags

USPSA1911

Dawson Magazines are polished Metalform with a Dawson base pad and I'm sure they will work great.

Metalform worked fine in my Trojan but I Preferred Wilson. Had to remove two coils from the magazine springs to get them to work with light recoil and main springs. Stock mag spring would slow the slide with the lightened recoil and main spring. Mine were the first series out and are over four years old. I like the feel, length of the base pad. They are easy to clean and I polish them about once a year. The inside of my mag well is polished lightly and the mags will drop with just a slight push on the release at any angle that's a few degrees down.

Once tuned, removed two coils haven't had any problems, gun runs 100%.

I did replace the extractor with an Aftec soon after the pistol purchase.

Dawson Magazines are polished Metalform with a Dawson base pad and I'm sure they will work great.

The Dawson mags are Metalform tubes, with Dawson spring, follower, and pad. And yes, they work amazingly well.

Tried Wilson, Chip McCormick .38 supers, Wilson ETMS, and Dawson's. The first three worked but where inconsistent and needed tweaking. The Dawson's have been perfect from day one with no issues what so ever. They're spendy but worth EVERY penny. YMMV

Cheers623

DVC

+ Many 1s on the Metal forms and the dawsons. The cobras are excellent but pricey and the Wilsons nose dive when loaded to capacity in my Fusion but are awesome in my STI Ranger.

BTW TGO likes Metalform and lets face it he's TGO. :bow:

Yep, Barney Fife reference to the 1 bullet. You load 1 bullet (or max), and at make ready, you load the chamber with that round. That way, you have one in the chamber, and a full magazine at the start, so you'll have 10+1. This means you can shoot 10 round arrays and will avoid going to slide-lock.

What I do is load all 5 of my mags up full. At make-ready, I pull the number 1 mag, chamber the round, take the number 5 mag and put it in the number 1 pouch, and take that first mag and put it in the number 5 pouch. Doing this leaves me with 4 full magazines first, and then a 9rd. mag for my last one on my belt. I don't typically need that extra magazine, and if I do, it's rarely the full 9 rounds.

Edited by polizei1

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the Dawson mags, the design of the lips won't allow the slide on my RIA to close completely.

It's kind of strange, the 9 round Metalforms I purchased for the pistol, and the one that came with it, have a completely different style feed lip than the 10 round Dawson/Metalform.

The upper mag in the photo is the Metalform 9 round, and the lower mag is the Dawson/Metalform 10 round. There's clearly a difference in the design.

The RAI's slide won't close completely on the 10 round mag.

Has anyone experienced this?

Is this a common anomaly with 10 round mags, or is there one out there closer to the design of the Metalform 9 round mag feed lips?

post-46459-0-22686100-1364005465_thumb.j