Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10 round 9mm 1911 mags

USPSA1911

I tried the Dawson mags, the design of the lips won't allow the slide on my RIA to close completely.

It's kind of strange, the 9 round Metalforms I purchased for the pistol, and the one that came with it, have a completely different style feed lip than the 10 round Dawson/Metalform.

The upper mag in the photo is the Metalform 9 round, and the lower mag is the Dawson/Metalform 10 round. There's clearly a difference in the design.

The RAI's slide won't close completely on the 10 round mag.

Has anyone experienced this?

Is this a common anomaly with 10 round mags, or is there one out there closer to the design of the Metalform 9 round mag feed lips?

Swap the followers and see if that changes things.

• 3 weeks later...

Dawson Precision hands down!!!! Never had a nose dive, have used them dirty and flawless all the time. They are worth every penny. If you can get the no gap ones and if I recall a Magwell is legal in SS so get an Ice no gap... you wont regret it!

• 5 months later...

Hi folks.

I'm having issues with 10 rnd ETM magazines in Trojan.

If i try to drop a mag with ammo in it, it's often stuck because the top round tends to follow the slide and the bullet touches the frame.

Any ideas for a fix? Would shortening the mag spring make a difference? Or how much impact does the rate of the recoil spring have?

Any info appreciated, thanks,

c

Hi folks.

I'm having issues with 10 rnd ETM magazines in Trojan.

If i try to drop a mag with ammo in it, it's often stuck because the top round tends to follow the slide and the bullet touches the frame.

Any ideas for a fix? Would shortening the mag spring make a difference? Or how much impact does the rate of the recoil spring have?

Any info appreciated, thanks,

c

I had the exact same problem.

I tried every 9mm, .38 Super mag available and still had the same issue.

I am now using Wilson ETM 10 round 9mm mags with no problem but I had to do a bit of tweaking.

I cut 3 coils (yes, 3) off of the mag springs. I also polished the heck out of the rail with the disconnector divot and keep it well lubed.

Gun runs flawlessly now.

Good luck