Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should USPSA allow 8-shot minor in Revolver Division?

Carmoney

Anybody else relish the chance to have it out with these revo guys or am I the only bottom feeder who is really gonna try?

What I want to see is somebody WIN 5 National titles this year. Single-Stack, Revolver, Production, Limited and Open.

It might have to be Nils. (or Bob or Dave) ...since you aren't ready to shoot the red dot yet. ;)

Too late. I won a bunch of open nationals when there was only open . Plus I won open in 1995, with an Aimpoint Comp sight, TRI frame, 9x25 caliber, 7 port compensator with Nowlin barrel shooting 135 grain Nosler bullets loaded with Vit N350 powder. Still have the gun in my collection of National and World title winners.

I can remember everything from that far back, not yesterday or as Kippi says, "to remember to take out the garbage". Soooo... I'm kinda your first, best hope. How's that for Irony....

Like Quigley said, "just because he never had much use for one didn't mean he didn't know how to use one...." You kids really need to brush up on your history.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anybody else relish the chance to have it out with these revo guys or am I the only bottom feeder who is really gonna try?

What I want to see is somebody WIN 5 National titles this year. Single-Stack, Revolver, Production, Limited and Open.

It might have to be Nils. (or Bob or Dave) ...since you aren't ready to shoot the red dot yet. ;)

Too late. I won a bunch of open nationals when there was only open . Plus I won open in 1995, with an Aimpoint Comp sight, TRI frame, 9x25 caliber, 7 port compensator with Nowlin barrel shooting 135 grain Nosler bullets loaded with Vit N350 powder. Still have the gun in my collection of National and World title winners.

I can remember everything from that far back, not yesterday or as Kippi says, "to remember to take out the garbage". Soooo... I'm kinda your first, best hope. How's that for Irony....

Like Quigley said, "just because he never had much use for one didn't mean he didn't know how to use one...." You kids really need to brush up on your history.

I read it that way to, but when I read it again I think he meant to win all 5 in one year, which would be pretty special to say the least.

Clearly you've won everything there is to win in general, so you are the likely guy to have a win in every division in your career.

I suspect Jerry will work very hard to make sure that doesn't happen and Matt is going to be circling to dash everyone's hopes and dreams...

Edited by seanc

Let the fun begin, it would be grand to have someone who has won a National Title in all of the Divisions. Whether it would be in one year or a lifetime.

How many will pick up the Gauntlet and beard Jerry in his own lair!

That doesn't mean Jerry or even Cliff, Matt or Josh will let some bottom feeder come in and steal the thunder, but it will be quite a show.

Edited by pskys2

I read it that way to, but when I read it again I think he meant to win all 5 in one year, which would be pretty special to say the least.

Clearly you've won everything there is to win in general, so you are the likely guy to have a win in every division in your career.

I suspect Jerry will work very hard to make sure that doesn't happen and Matt is going to be circling to dash everyone's hopes and dreams...

Can't win them all in one year yet. L10 and open are the same match.

I don't think we wanna push for a new division, open revolver when we can only get 17 to the nationals. This 8 shot minor thing is just a modification to an existing division. it is going to be real hard to convince the board of USPSA directors that we need a new division until we prove we are gonna support what we have now.

This whole 6 shot neutral thing can be handled by making any revolver only matches comply with no round count at a single shooting position more than 6 unless it is greater than 8. simple. I'm not saying I would shoot major, but if the shots were hard enough and there were partial targets, I might find it difficult to select minor if I was making the same number of standing reloads as I would with major. I like points! (Said as Dax Shepard in "Idiocracy")

This is not a modification of the Revolver division, it is a fundamental change of it. The rules of USPSA allow for up to 8 shots at single position and that is what you get a lot of the time. The last nationals was all 4's and 8's. Unless you change that rule for the whole of USPSA, the 6 shot gun that has been revolver division is dead. Not one shooter who finished top 10 at the nationals would shoot one because it would not be competitive. It is not just the standing reloads, it is extra shots on steel and swingers, it is being able to push harder because you have back up, and it is not having to make choices to what you will shoot when and where. What I liked about revo was having to shoot fast and straight and figure out how to shoot the stage to your skill set. Shooting revo is a challenge and that goes away with the 6 shooters.

We can talk about the ICORE guys and how can we get them into USPSA. I know for a fact that many of them have 625's or 25's and they don't come out. Equipment is not the reason.

Using the single stack comparison is not valid and foolish. SS works because we shoot in an 8 round world. 8 vs 10 is fine when you never have more than 8 shots. 6 vs 8 will never be fair in 8 round matches. Rob had said we could make a revo only match 6 round neutral to be fair. When do we ever have an revo only match. Not Area, State, or sectionals. No 6 shots in any of those matches with the rule change.

I am talking about competing at the top level. I realize that if Matt Griffin is shooting an Area match and the next best guy is B class; Matt can win with a 625. Who thinks they could have beat Matt shooting a 627 while they shot a 625 at the last nationals. The answer is NO ONE. There will guys shooting 6 shot for fun just like Vic shoots his open revo in open class but they will not win.

Before we completely change revo division, why not make a category in production for revolvers?? In a few years, we could see the number for people who are interested in shooting their 8 shots in USPSA. I know Rob has stated that they are not competitive but under the present rules, they are much more competitive vs 10 than is 6 vs 8.

I want to be clear. We are talking about completely changing the division not just adding a few new shooters.

Cliff, I'm pretty sure revolvers are already allowed in Production.

===========

20 Holster restrictions

•Suitable for everyday use. “Race gun” type holster prohibited.

•May not be manufactured or cut lower than, and must cover the slide up to, ½” below the ejection port (belt slide “Yaqui” type holster exempt).

Revolver holsters open no lower than halfway down the cylinder.

21.4 Grips

• For semi-automatic Production guns, grip tape, grip sleeves, checkering, stippling or other texture may only be applied in the areas shown in appendix E4. Glue and grit is considered the same as stippling.

• Replacement grip panels are allowed provided they do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a make-shift magwell.

Revolver grips may be replaced with OEM or aftermarket grips of any shape, profile and surface texture.

Special Notes/Clarifications:

• See 22.2, below, for specifics with regard to modifications on revolver grips.

22.2 Grips – any addition or removal of material which changes the factory profile or adds function such as beavertail or thumb rest.

As noted above (21.4) Revolver grips may be replaced with OEM or aftermarket grips of any shape, profile and surface texture. 22.2 is deemed to NOT APPLY to REVOLVER grips. Adding or removing material to change the profile of Revolver grips is ALLOWED.

Cliff, what are your ideas to grow the division?

In my opinion this stand alone nats is great but it isn't going to grow the division. People will show up and shoot because they will be able get a slot and it will be a good match. After that, they will just shoot what division is fun for them.

I am talking about what will grow the division on a smaller scale. Myself and another shooter that is local (cylindrically challenged) would like to shoot revo with our 8 shots. That is only two shooters at a local but it would double the amount of revo shooters at that match. I don't shoot production with it because it is not legal. You can't bob the hammer, remove the flag or lock, or remove the hammer block. All of those are common mods to a competition revolver. Limited 10 in Ohio is pretty much dead unless you are chasing wood at a major.

I do agree that it will change the stage breakdown. But it will still force you to reload on the move, and go one for one to avoid a standing reload. Two tasks that get complicated under pressure. Add in the minor scoring and it still a very real challenge.

I admit I am biased because I own an 8 shot. But I bought the gun long before I ever fired a shot in competition. I use it in the stand and shoot competitions and would like to enjoy using it in its full capacity in USPSA.

Edited by leas327

That might be the week's funniest post!

===========

20 Holster restrictions

•May not be manufactured or cut lower than, and must cover the slide up to, ½” below the ejection port (belt slide “Yaqui” type holster exempt).

21.4 Grips

• For semi-automatic Production guns, grip tape, grip sleeves, checkering, stippling or other texture may only be applied in the areas shown in appendix E4. Glue and grit is considered the same as stippling.

• Replacement grip panels are allowed provided they do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a make-shift magwell.

Revolver grips may be replaced with OEM or aftermarket grips of any shape, profile and surface texture.

• See 22.2, below, for specifics with regard to modifications on revolver grips.

22.2 Grips – any addition or removal of material which changes the factory profile or adds function such as beavertail or thumb rest.

As noted above (21.4) Revolver grips may be replaced with OEM or aftermarket grips of any shape, profile and surface texture. 22.2 is deemed to NOT APPLY to REVOLVER grips. Adding or removing material to change the profile of Revolver grips is ALLOWED.

I'm not Cliff, but category creation would be one way to determine category placement for shooting a wheelgun in production.....

Without that revolver shooters just blend in with bottom feeders....

===========

20 Holster restrictions

21.4 Grips

Mark, I know they are legal. that is the point. If all these people want to shoot their 8 shots, why is nobody doing it???

Cliff, what are your ideas to grow the division?

In my opinion this stand alone nats is great but it isn't going to grow the division. People will show up and shoot because they will be able get a slot and it will be a good match. After that, they will just shoot what division is fun for them.

I am talking about what will grow the division on a smaller scale. Myself and another shooter that is local (cylindrically challenged) would like to shoot revo with our 8 shots. That is only two shooters at a local but it would double the amount of revo shooters at that match. I don't shoot production with it because it is not legal. You can't bob the hammer, remove the flag or lock, or remove the hammer block. All of those are common mods to a competition revolver. Limited 10 in Ohio is pretty much dead unless you are chasing wood at a major.

I do agree that it will change the stage breakdown. But it will still force you to reload on the move, and go one for one to avoid a standing reload. Two tasks that get complicated under pressure. Add in the minor scoring and it still a very real challenge.

I admit I am biased because I own an 8 shot. But I bought the gun long before I ever fired a shot in competition. I use it in the stand and shoot competitions and would like to enjoy using it in its full capacity in USPSA.

I'm not sure all that is correct. You must leave the hammer block in but lock on the the side of the new guns is not considered a safety so that can come out. I also thought you can bob the hammer?? Anyone know about that???

If you want to shoot a local match, go and do it. If you are they only two shooters, shoot L-10 or open. You are only competing against your buddy. Do you really think a whole division should be changed to make your gun fit or should you just shoot your gun where it belongs.

I want to be clear. We are talking about completely changing the division not just adding a few new shooters.

Cliff, you might be right.

Now, I'm not completely sold on the notion that 8-minor would instantly overwhelm the division, and have been musing over that issue ever since that first discussion thread back in 2005. I would like to put the concept to a real test before jumping to that conclusion.

But for a moment, let's assume you're 100% right, OK?

Cliff.......buddy.......We need to completely change the division!! Or it's gonna die. We all know how participation in Revolver division has sucked balls the last few years. Last year, USPSA Revolver Nationals drew 17 people--that's like one squad! You hardly see any revolvers at the local levels. Most of the sectionals and area matches went virtually uncontested in Revolver division. It's frustrating, disappointing, and embarrassing, but it's true.

Maybe the new format in Barry will save the division. I'm really excited about having so many more people at Nats. But if that enthusiasm doesn't carry over, and trickle down, we need to figure out something else.

I'm glad you responded to this thread. You and I have discussed the topic off-forum, and I respect your thoughts on the topic. And I understand we don't have unanimity of opinion from the top revolver shooters on this.

Mark, I know they are legal. that is the point. If all these people want to shoot their 8 shots, why is nobody doing it???

Because 8-shot Revolvers are never going to be seriously competitive in Production, at anything other than the local schlep level.

I don't think we wanna push for a new division, open revolver when we can only get 17 to the nationals. This 8 shot minor thing is just a modification to an existing division. it is going to be real hard to convince the board of USPSA directors that we need a new division until we prove we are gonna support what we have now.

This whole 6 shot neutral thing can be handled by making any revolver only matches comply with no round count at a single shooting position more than 6 unless it is greater than 8. simple. I'm not saying I would shoot major, but if the shots were hard enough and there were partial targets, I might find it difficult to select minor if I was making the same number of standing reloads as I would with major. I like points! (Said as Dax Shepard in "Idiocracy")

This is not a modification of the Revolver division, it is a fundamental change of it. The rules of USPSA allow for up to 8 shots at single position and that is what you get a lot of the time. The last nationals was all 4's and 8's. Unless you change that rule for the whole of USPSA, the 6 shot gun that has been revolver division is dead. Not one shooter who finished top 10 at the nationals would shoot one because it would not be competitive. It is not just the standing reloads, it is extra shots on steel and swingers, it is being able to push harder because you have back up, and it is not having to make choices to what you will shoot when and where. What I liked about revo was having to shoot fast and straight and figure out how to shoot the stage to your skill set. Shooting revo is a challenge and that goes away with the 6 shooters.

"I completely agree with most of what you say. Some I do not. Personally I only care about the Nationals being a fair event. I would hope all could see that having the 6 shot neutral thing is all that makes 8 minor fair and equal. I agree, at any Area or lower match you are gonna get killed shooting a 6 shot against the 8. The same is true for every non National I have seen in SS for some time. Even making it 8 shot neutral for the SS guys doesn't usually overcome the advantage 10 minor has in those events. That being the case, I still want 8 minor because I enjoy shooting it more than the major 6." Rob L

We can talk about the ICORE guys and how can we get them into USPSA. I know for a fact that many of them have 625's or 25's and they don't come out. Equipment is not the reason.

Using the single stack comparison is not valid and foolish. SS works because we shoot in an 8 round world. 8 vs 10 is fine when you never have more than 8 shots. 6 vs 8 will never be fair in 8 round matches. Rob had said we could make a revo only match 6 round neutral to be fair. When do we ever have an revo only match. Not Area, State, or sectionals. No 6 shots in any of those matches with the rule change.

"Foolish? no it isn't. Again, I do not care about any event being 6 neutral except the nationaIs. I understand you want the standing reloads to be a major part of the performance in revolver division. This opinion I respect but do not agree with. And it is valid. Unless your position is you want no change and to have to do as many standing reloads as is possible. Were I to load like you I probably would also." Rob L

I am talking about competing at the top level. I realize that if Matt Griffin is shooting an Area match and the next best guy is B class; Matt can win with a 625. Who thinks they could have beat Matt shooting a 627 while they shot a 625 at the last nationals. The answer is NO ONE. There will guys shooting 6 shot for fun just like Vic shoots his open revo in open class but they will not win.

Before we completely change revo division, why not make a category in production for revolvers?? In a few years, we could see the number for people who are interested in shooting their 8 shots in USPSA. I know Rob has stated that they are not competitive but under the present rules, they are much more competitive vs 10 than is 6 vs 8.

"Who the hell is gonna shoot that? The revo is getting it's own National this year and that is of the utmost importance. Keeping everything else the same will not cause any growth at the state and local level. That's what we need next." Rob L

I agree, we are. Rob L

Edited by TGO

Because 8-shot Revolvers are never going to be seriously competitive in Production, at anything other than the local schlep level.

Just like 6 shot revolvers will no longer be competitive in the new revolver division.

Believe you can. Believe you can't. Either way you are right. . .

I have to disagree with you on this Carmoney. There are revolver shooters using 6 shots at every classification level who can give auto shooters of like classification a run for their money (aka. be competitive with them). Using an 8 shot revolver would likely make them even more competitive in production.

I have read several good ideas on ways to try and improve the participation in USPSA by revolver shooters. The ultimate challenge will be to impliment ones that will do the most good. Even if 7 & 8 shot revolvers are allowed in the future I'll likely

won't use one by personal choice. I just don't have any interest in shooting one. I will continue to shoot 6 shot revolvers. I am just stubborn that way.

I hear you Rob. You are talking about the nationals and not the rest of the year. If nationals is the measure of participation ( I think that is what Mike is using), then we have solved the problem. The answer is have a stand alone match just after another match that draws a lot of shooters. Problem solved.

Another factor is having it driving distance and the middle of the country is obviously better than Vegas. I think Tulsa would also be a good fit, maybe after the production nationals??

Rob, I'm not saying I want to do standing reloads. I'm saying that i like the challenge of not always having enough bullets to shoot every target at a position. I like the challenge of figuring out how to shoot a stage as well as possible playing to my strengths. I might have to take a 25 yard target at the beginning of a stage to avoid a standing load at the end or I might do the load if the shot is too hard. Shooting revolver is like a puzzle to be solved for me. If it goes to 8 shots, that is gone. How many production shooter shoot a stage different from the other on the super squad? and I don't mean go right or left from the start. That is very common in revo and it what I like most about the division.

I am an Icore guy and do have a 625 but I just don't find 6 shots any fun at USPSA matches. Dave

I shoot my 8 shot in L10 minor but at the end of the day my scores just blend in finishing in the middle of the pack instead of being recognized as the revolver shooter that I am. Dave

Edited by azczshooter

They are. And they are also allowed in Open, Limited and L-10. It does not mean it is smart to do so. Pick the right tool for the right job.

So 8 shot revolvers are allowed in all the classes but single stack and REVOLVER class. Now that makes sense. We need to put the 8 shooters where they're supposed to be, in revolver class.

So 8 shot revolvers are allowed in all the classes but single stack and REVOLVER class. Now that makes sense. We need to put the 8 shooters where they're supposed to be, in revolver class.

Exactly how I feel.

I predict that the rules will change to allow it soon because I've arranged to trade my 547 for a 5" 625.

-pat

I have read several good ideas on ways to try and improve the participation in USPSA by revolver shooters.

Is that the question? Or is it to increase participation in Revolver Division?

I don't believe that Revolver can do worse than it is now -- it would have to basically not exist. I also have no clue how to increase participation -- but I like that we're talking about it......

....and I firmly believe that we should make an attempt at changing the division to increase participation, or to perhaps create a category where 8 shot revolvers could play....