Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Was the Nats being in Vegas one of the reason you went?

ProGunGuy

I have never been to the Nationals. i was hoping to go next year as I like going to Vegas. Shooting and then hanging with others at a rest or bar in Vegas sounds enjoyable.

I shoot production only, but if i can get into the nationals next year, I will shoot limited as i can fly into Vegas and spend a few days there before going to St. George.

So did it being in Vegas in the past help you decide to shoot it or not?? Or shooters don't care where its going to be located.

Edited by ProGunGuy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vegas location made it less of a priority for me to go. Guess I just like OK bars better. I have enough ringing in my ears without all those slot machines making all that racket. I shoot for the matches and the people at the matches.

For me the venue of Vegas made the match that much more appealing. I think its an awesome place to shoot as there's all kinds of stuff to do when we're not shooting. I'm not even into gambling. Plus, I bring the wife with me so its a vacation/shooting trip. The closest Level III matches are 5-6 hours away for me since I live in the middle of the Pacific. Any further east of Arizona or Texas and I'll most likely not go since I hate flying. Wish they'd keep the Nationals in Vegas. Most of my squad at this past Nationals felt the same

Edited by blaster113

I've never shot a Nationals but would like to in the coming years. If Vegas is the venue for say 5 yrs then I would just suck it up and go. However if the venue rotated around the country I would try to catch it someplace more appealing.

Vegas the city doesn't really do anything for me, but I can see why it is a good location for an event like Nats.

Vegas had nothing to do with me going. I also shot a Nats at Tulsa.

I shot/worked Area 1 last year. St George is a GREAT place. Scenic area (Zion is about an hr away and Bryce Canyon is about 4 hrs), great range, great town with friendly people and lots to do.

Bryce Canyon is one of the most gorgeous and unique places I've ever seen.

Edited by remoandiris

vegas adds little value to the match for me (except the availability of good vietnamese food). I worked because it was close enough for me to drive to. I plan on attending (work and hopefully shoot) in st george, and I think st george will be a better location from my perspective. Less hustle and bustle, more outdoor things to do nearby.

I and alot of other people went to Nationals specifically because it was held in Vegas. Just look at whats gone on with the waiting list the last few years. Almost immediately hundreds on the waiting list. That was NOT the case in Tulsa. Tulsa also developed a bad reputation for mud and monsoons with poor drainage and a staff that didnt seem to care. NOW I have no idea if that is true but it was brough up alot after the final Tulsa nationals. Vegas is easy to get in and out of, cheap as dirt for hotel/flight/car combos. and dependable weather. Really good place for nationals. If you think there is nothing more to do than drink and gamble you need to get out of your hotel rooms. Vegas is a great fun place to be. Where is St George anyway ? Sounds like it is in same region without the night life. If it was gonna move why not move it east ?

If it was gonna move why not move it east ?

That is a question for the prez or maybe BOD. I'll bet a facility to hold such a match and local support staff to setup the stages well in advance is not that easy to find.

St George, located about 2 hrs NE of Vegas in the SW corner of UT, has both the facility and local support staff to put on a fabulous Area 1 match. They can do the same with Nats.

That is a question for the prez or maybe BOD. I'll bet a facility to hold such a match and local support staff to setup the stages well in advance is not that easy to find.

St George, located about 2 hrs NE of Vegas in the SW corner of UT, has both the facility and local support staff to put on a fabulous Area 1 match. They can do the same with Nats.

When we drove it from the strip, it was more like an hour and 20 mins. the range is beautiful and big. St. George is where Berry's Bullets are located at.

When we drove it from the strip, it was more like an hour and 20 mins. the range is beautiful and big. St. George is where Berry's Bullets are located at.

Well that's good to know, I thought it was a lot farther than that.

I went this year to the handgun Nationals and to the multigun nationals this year and the previous year because it was within driving distance. From the bay area it takes be about 10 hours to get to Vegas, it's a long day, or night, but it's doable. With good gas mileage, it's cheaper than flying and renting a car, even at Vegas prices.

It sounds like St George is still within driving distance, though farther so I'll consider it as the time approaches, but Tulsa... having to fly, rent a car and all that and the terrible stories I've heard about the range... it makes it less appealing. I might switch over and shoot Limited this year instead of Production.

Hello: I shot the Nationals in Vegas the last 4 years. Main reason---I can drive there :cheers: Thanks, Eric

+1 ... I can almost walk to the range!!

The people at St. George are going to do an awesome job as they normally do .. Travel time from Las Vegas to the range in St. George is about 90 minutes (plus time zone difference, UT is in Mountain Time).

The 2013 Area 1 in May will be a great warm up for them ..

Vegas is a great venue for a national championship event. There is no place on Earth with more entertainment options. And if you just feel like relaxing, you can ignore all the traditional Vegas stuff and simply stay at a decent motel near the range. The last two years I stayed at the Best Western on Sahara just a few minutes from the range, and it worked out great. You don't have to drink and gamble if you don't want to!

I see no point in St. George, Utah. If you're going to move the match away from all the entertainment options that Las Vegas offers, put it in another part of the country altogether.

I have shot in Vegas the last 2 years. It's a mini vacation for wife and I. I am not really liking all nats in Vegas. Hopefully they will move Production to Tulsa. I will be able to drive to Tulsa. It will be the only pistol match I plan to shoot next year. We will be at multigun nats again in 2013.

A Vegas trip would be alot easier to sell to the wife than a Tulsa trip.

"Honey, let's go to nationals! I'll shoot for a few days, then we can hang out for 3-4 more, see shows, and eat at some great restaurants"

vs.

"Honey, let's go to Tulsa. I'll shoot a match for a few days, then we can go cow tipping" :roflol: