Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Nationals in Tulsa, OK

Schedule 40

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Troy, David, et al, did a terrific job putting the match together with limited time and resource.

USPSA needs better strategic planning, improved operations, and thoughtful leadership.

Big shout out to Troy, John, david and the set up crew, prop builders, RO's and stats people. Thank you so much for putting on a good match.

Mike...I think it might have a "few" slivers of improvement. In short, we'll just have to agree to disagree. To avoid digressing too much from this thread, I'll limit my comments to this one last posting.

As someone who has experience in management consulting, corporate investment & restructuring, and non-profit corporate boards, I think USPSA needs to take an inventory of what it has, what it wants to accomplish, and then build a roadmap to achieve it. I believe USPSA's ability to execute operationally is quite deficient. Given limited resources, organizations need to plan, plan early, and then plan to execute. Just my two pesos worth of opinion.

*** Again, I want to give props Troy and David for pulling together the Production Nationals with limited resources. Nicely done. ***

USPSA can be so much more. As a relative new-comer, I really want it to succeed. Nonetheless, I'm not necessarily sanguine about it.

USPSA needs better strategic planning, improved operations, and thoughtful leadership.

I think we are seeing very nice improvement from USPSA in all those areas.

Edited by justaute

Mike...I think it might have a "few" slivers of improvement. In short, we'll just have to agree to disagree. To avoid digressing too much from this thread, I'll limit my comments to this one last posting.

As someone who has experience in management consulting, corporate investment & restructuring, and non-profit corporate boards, I think USPSA needs to take an inventory of what it has, what it wants to accomplish, and then build a roadmap to achieve it. I believe USPSA's ability to execute operationally is quite deficient. Given limited resources, organizations need to plan, plan early, and then plan to execute. Just my two pesos worth of opinion.

*** Again, I want to give Troy and David for pulling together the Production Nationals with limited resources. Nicely done. ***

USPSA can be so much more. As a relative new-comer, I really want it to succeed. Nonetheless, I'm not necessarily sanguine about it.

There's always room for improvement and what is optimal one year may not be the next.

Volunteer organizations make it even harder.

And USPSA is always looking for new blood, fresh ideas and strong backs. You're welcome to jump in.

This was my first USPSA Nationals match and I thought it ran super smooth. The RO's and staff were very professional and polite despite the the rain and cold and the awards ceremony was nice. :cheers:

The only thing that I was suprised by was the lack of hoopla, if that makes any sense. I think we only had two venders (Automatic Accuracy was one...can't remember the other...sorry) in a huge vendors tent. Not sure what I was expecting really. Maybe its always that way and my expectations were too high.

Probably won't make it back to another Nationals unless it finds its way back to the middle of the country again, but that has nothing to do with the quality of this match. The cost vs reward gets too high when I have to fly in and spend a week in a hotel.

Anyway I had an awesome time and met some great new friends. Hats off to squad 25...you guys rock! :cheers:

*** Again, I want to give Troy and David for pulling together the Production Nationals with limited resources. Nicely done. ***

Interesting thoughts. I am certain that useful, actionable suggestions and input would be welcomed by the USPSA. Posting your feelings and the general methodology of improvement for any organization here however isn't really helpful at all, it is just a negative comment. If you do really want USPSA to improve, whatever that means to you, then as pskys2 suggests come off the bench and into the game. Sorry, had to use a coaching reference given your background :-)

The only thing that I was suprised by was the lack of hoopla, if that makes any sense. I think we only had two venders (Automatic Accuracy was one...can't remember the other...sorry) in a huge vendors tent. Not sure what I was expecting really. Maybe its always that way and my expectations were too high.

Hit the nail on the head with this. There was little to no advertisement. Excitement? None! Vendors? none, they all went to 3 gun, we are losing the battle for new blood. I agree it's a volunteer sport, we all need to do our part. That being said, we PAY people to peform certain functions. Nationals are just one of them. All the national matches were short entrants this year, that kills the operational budget, and now we know why they are money losers. We need leadership.

There's always room for improvement and what is optimal one year may not be the next.

And USPSA is always looking for new blood, fresh ideas and strong backs. You're welcome to jump in.

I think this is a comment more intended to silence criticism (constructive in this case) than solicit participation.

This is a volunteer organization, and the volunteers did a tremendous job of putting on this nationals. Troy and his team accomplished a Herculean task with respect to this match. They have my respect and gratitude. This match was extremely smooth, despite the fact that there weren't even walls built a few days before the match! Yet Troy and his team pulled it off. That's impressive.

However, while this is a volunteer sport, there are paid positions as well. We can and should expect performance from the people in those positions. I think that's what Ken was getting at. Saying "jump in and help" with respect to a paid position in the organization doesn't really make sense to me.

Rick...as stated, I will make no more comments on this topic. Thus, I'll pm you with my thoughts.

Interesting thoughts. I am certain that useful, actionable suggestions and input would be welcomed by the USPSA. Posting your feelings and the general methodology of improvement for any organization here however isn't really helpful at all, it is just a negative comment. If you do really want USPSA to improve, whatever that means to you, then as pskys2 suggests come off the bench and into the game. Sorry, had to use a coaching reference given your background :-)

Rick...as stated, I will make no more comments on this topic. Thus, I'll pm you with my thoughts.

Could you do me a favor and PM or email them to me as well? Email is area1@uspsa.org. Can't guarantee we'd use all of them but I'll make sure they are passed along.

I saw a lot of the behind-the-scenes stuff at both the Back-2-Back and Production Nationals that I think cause a lot of problems for the match organizers, I have an article to write on the Production Nationals and I still have to write up the Ladies events from the B2B Nationals... (do we have an avatar that shows someone drowning under excessive workload? If so, insert it here--> )

Once I have those out of the way I will try to find time to document my observations and suggestions and send them to the BOD/HQ/President.

I think this is a comment more intended to silence criticism (constructive in this case) than solicit participation.

This is a volunteer organization, and the volunteers did a tremendous job of putting on this nationals. Troy and his team accomplished a Herculean task with respect to this match. They have my respect and gratitude. This match was extremely smooth, despite the fact that there weren't even walls built a few days before the match! Yet Troy and his team pulled it off. That's impressive.

However, while this is a volunteer sport, there are paid positions as well. We can and should expect performance from the people in those positions. I think that's what Ken was getting at. Saying "jump in and help" with respect to a paid position in the organization doesn't really make sense to me.

At least from me it's not meant as a slam. I'm a past SC, helped establish many clubs in my Section, been RO at Area matches, was even asked to be an AD at one time. Due to personal commitments, time and money I'm quite limited in what I can personally do now. But am supportive of thoughtful commitment. I enjoy and care deeply about the direction USPSA/IPSC takes. It is a grand sport and I have benefited from it many times over.

I always give credit where it's due and have always tried to give the benefit of doubt to things I don't agree with. I do wonder how USPSA has been able to do so much with the limited volunteers available. There efforts are never given enough accolades. I do think the current administration is doing well and willing to explore new options. I just hope they don't burn out too quickly.

This was my 6th Nationals and it was hands down the most organized, smoothest running one yet.

Perfect? Nope. Close though, close...

I cant say enough good things about the locals that put in the elbow grease to pull this thing off...some of whom were not even 'officially' involved. I shoot with these guys on a regular basis and they are just plain awesome.

Too bad there werent more vendors, their loss. USSA's pro shop and USPSA should have sold their wares down in the vendor area.

Too bad the food sucked. Too bad Nationals wont be back in Tulsa anytime soon.

Edited by The Antichrome

Yeah the vendor tent and concessions (or lack thereof) were embarrassing. For an otherwise smooth and well-run event, industry support was severely lacking. Too bad. At least there was respectable media attendance (Shooting USA, local news stations, LiveShots, etc).

I sure could have used a food/drink concession now and then, without going all the way to the lodge.

Overall, I would definitely come back. I don't know if I can swing a trip all the way to UT next year should I get another slot...

" For an otherwise smooth and well-run event, industry support was severely lacking. Too bad. At least there was respectable media attendance (Shooting USA, local news stations, LiveShots, etc)."

.Industry support behind the scenes was huge. The prize table had 50 guns on it and still had fantastic items when my lowly number was called to walk through. A well know GM and industry guy himself commented to me that he hadn't seen a table like this in years. The vendors have to make choices as to what events they will attend, and this was the last stop on a long season for them too. If I had to guess, a stand alone production nationals (if it continues in 2016) will be the place where we will see the most support from the big name industry, as production guns are their bread and butter sales.

Edited by cnote

I thought the match was very well run and well organized on the ground. The USSA facility is certainly in the top tier of ranges. I know some people got a little stressed about the perceived lack of communication before the match, but it was not that big of a deal to me. The ROs in large part did an outstanding job. We saw a few nitpicky hassles by a few ROs, but I think that is a result of the pendulum swing from not enforcing enough in the past. Stages were straight forward and ran smoothly.

The prize table was outstanding. There were a lot of very nice $200-$300 prize packs available with a decent variety of selection to the bottom half of the shooters. The staff working the prize table knew where stuff was and were helpful in pointing out specific items when asked. I was impressed with it, so thanks to all those who worked on that!

Kind of bummed that it won't be a stand alone match in 2014. The opportunity to see the top shooters from multiple divisions shoot the same courses in the same division was a good learning experience for me. I have a page of notes of things to work on in my pistol shooting.

Phil, Troy, John, Kim and all the staff, thanks for a job well done.