Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What hearing protection do you guys use?

shuter

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been very happy with Howard Leight Impacts, and see quite a few fellow shooters using as well. Electronic and not bad on wallet ~$50. I also prefer to double plug when wearing these, especially when RO'ing.

I don't RO, am fairly new to regular shooting, but i use the exact same setup and double when inside or using louder comp'd guns.

Surefire EP-4's. They're good, the only time I plug the little plug in on them is indoors or under an overhead when shooting rifles. For $14 they are great and allow you to converse without taking them out. Some say that when you get a cheekweld that they shift in your ear and don't protect as well, but I have not had that problem. Just have someone measure your ear like they show on the website to make sure you get the right size.

Cheers,

JP5

P.S. I have not tried any electronic muffs so I cannot compare to them

I have used Peltor electronic muffs for years and am very happy with their performance and comfort. However, for shooting 3-gun I have always preferred foamies due the way my cheek rests against long guns. After putting it off too long, I finally brought some custom molded plugs from Hear-Pro and they are great! They also have electronic plugs if you prefer those.

Andy

I've typically used full muff-type "ears" at the range. With 3 gun involving 2 long guns, however, I assume most use something else. What do you guys use and recommend?

Thanks

shuter

I normally use Pelor "shotgunner" muffs. I do have molded plugs too. The Peltor's don't bother me when I shoot long guns. After working over 40 years in machine shops and sheet metal shops, I guess I just need to tone down the "ringing" in my ears. :goof:

Thanks for the tips guys. Looks like some do use muffs, even with long guns. Might shoot some more with muffs and see if I can get used to them with the SG, especially. The recoil has tended to knock mine around a bit.

shuter

For long guns, just the el cheapo squeezable foam ones from work.

For handgun only, using the electronic peltors. A rifle stock or shotgun stock will hit the bottom of the electronic muffs and break the seal, plus just mentally it's distracting.

I do have some ones that were poured or moulded in.

I'd like to try the surefires mentioned above.

Then one of these days I will spring for the moulded in electronic ear plugs.

I can honestly say that I've used all types....foam plugs, muffs, electronic muffs, sonic plugs, surefire plugs, form fitted plugs, electronic form fitted plugs, etc, etc.

If I ever RO, I like to double up, plugs and electronic muffs.

But for shooting.....I've come full circle to foam plugs, been the most comfortable and most noise reduction. I buy them in bulk.

Tim

Like the little blue rubber ones that come in the small round blue case. They use to be $1.00 but I think they have gone way up in price, over $2.00 now. :surprise: I like them because they have if memory serves, a 24db rating and I can't accidentally tap them against the stock of my rifle, which drives me NUTS!! :blink:

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

I am a double plugger. I like to use the rope type rubber plug, cut the rope in 1/2 and tie a plug to each side of my Leight low profile muffs. I wear the muffs on my head and the plugs in my ears until its my turn to shoot I then put the muffs on as soon as I hear the "make ready" command.

If you get electronics.... Make sure you buy the "slim" version or you will probably brush one partially off while shooting. I have hearing problems , so I use electronics. The Calwell slim version can be had for $20 to $30 and have the same declible rating as the high $$$$ ones, plus they use only 2 each AAA batteries and have a "red" on light so that you don't forget to turn them off. ... Thru the years I've had Pro Ears/Dillons/Peltors.etc. Be mindfull that all of them have some feed-back if it's real windy outside. I'll sometimes use the rubber ear plugs for certain stages (prone).

MSA Sordin are the best muffs I have found. Thier headquaters and repair facility is loacted in Florida should you need any help. They had an upgrade on the headphones a couple of years ago. I sent mine in and had them back in my hands in 3 days. Excellent service.

I always use either surefires or just the cheap winchester orange plugs from walmart. They are softer then most of the rubber plugs so it doesnt make your ears sore from taking them in and out all the time. I have used both electronic and regular muffs. They are all to hot to wear in the summer for hours at a time.

Well........now my feelings are HURT! :huh:

We go to dozens of matches, sponsor shooters, sponsor this forum, donate thousands of dollars in products to prize tables, and no one recommends Hear-Pro?

We've got custom molded products that are BY far the most comfortable, and we also have our own line of electronic muff for $55.00.

Check out our dealers forum, or the main website (www.hear-pro.com), or our facebook page (www.facebook.com/customhearingprotection)

Just remember, when looking at other hearing protection, Hear-Pro is owned and operated by shooters, we wear what we make, and EVERYTHING we make is made here in the USA.........unlike most foamies and large corporation electronic muffs.