Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need another 1911

Pitt Bull

I'm kicking around the idea of getting another 1911. I shoot IDPA and want to start shooting in USPSA single stack. What would be a good one to go with? I already have a Les Bauer Heavy Monolith (Which I can't use in IDPA)and a Night Hawk Dominator. I also have a Kimber custom target 1 that I have shot the crap out of, the trigger is now never consitient. I was thinking about a Wilson Combat CQB or maybe a STI Trojan. Also, are there any gunsmiths who could build a custom gun for around $2500 that would be a good gun to compete with? Any suggestions?

I'm kicking around the idea of getting another 1911. I shoot IDPA and want to start shooting in USPSA single stack. What would be a good one to go with? I already have a Les Bauer Heavy Monolith (Which I can't use in IDPA)and a Night Hawk Dominator. I also have a Kimber custom target 1 that I have shot the crap out of, the trigger is now never consitient. I was thinking about a Wilson Combat CQB or maybe a STI Trojan. Also, are there any gunsmiths who could build a custom gun for around $2500 that would be a good gun to compete with? Any suggestions?

I"m not sure what a new CQB would cost these days, but I'm pretty sure you can find a gently used one for $2500 or less. I would refer you to Infinity Firearms without hesitation, but the $2500 would not get you there.......WC would be my second choice, period.

acguns.com

Shay at Akai makes some very pretty (to me pretty is the fit and attention to detail, not the cuts etc even though that is well done) very good shooting guns. I have a 1911 he built that is at least as nice as any I have shot. I have had a Wilson, and own a Nighthawk and have had some pretty nice STI's. This is a big step up from all of them. A friend just ordered a Ltd gun from him after shooting my SS. Shay will get to build my next Ltd gun for sure.

Probably a few hundred over your $2500 budget but not too much.

I built myself a STI spartan. I sent the frame to Clark Custom or their machine checkering on the front strap. Had a trigger job and ambi safety added by a local smith, swapped out the fat front sight for a .075 wide one from Dawson, refinished it and it is good to go. Oh yeah, I added grips and a magwell from Techwell.

That package is awesome for right around 1-1200.

If I wanted a custom, Shay has two or three that are available right now for really close to your price. I won a master series frame (square trigger guard) that I will have built at some point soon.

Instead of stone the factory Kimber guts throw down on C&S kit and have it installed. Depending on how good your barrel fit and bushing fit is you can always get a Kart barrel and have an oversized bushing fitted. Then you will be the limiting factor in accuracy. Slide fit is usually very minimal in the big picture of what gives the most accuracy. Bushing first, trigger and sights next.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been stunned by the performance of my sig 1911 traditional tacops. cleaned up trigger bow, and lapped bushing (which is an egw sourced unit out of the box). It runs like a champ with the checkmate or cmc mags and is accurate as he'll. I plan to swap in the f.o. front sight and shoot the crap out of it. I MAY dump the series 80 stuff, but am on the fence. I'm in it less than a grand.

Edited by mumzer

I just bought a Dan Wesson and am really impressed with it. For the money it's about as close to a custom gun as you will get from a factory as I understand it. I did a lot of research on MIM parts, build parts, barrels etc and kept coming back to the Dan Wessons. The slide to frame fit is very nice, very close to my custom build as is the barrel fit. It shoots amazing, I can't wait to put it in the rest to see what it will really do but I used a sandbag was getting sub 2" groups at 25 yards. My local rang is getting a ransom rest soon so then I can really get some data. The sights are a combat style but the trigger breaks nice and crisp. They are very highly rated as a production gun. Now could you get something better of course but for the money, I got a smoking deal on it, I'm not sure you could. The Trojans are very nice for the money as well but my Wesson feels as if it was built rather then assembled. If that makes sense. I was torn between a trp and a few others and some folks on the 1911 forum really technically explained the parts and assembly and why I went with what I did.

DAWSON PRECISION is the place to go for a Trojan (I have 2, 45 and 9).

Two options from Dawson. CRP and the Dawson tune (blessed by dave).

CRP options are on the web site.

Tune package will have the shop tune the gun, to include your choice of trigger job weight. Worth its weight in gold.

Last I checked, they wont sell both packages on the same gun.

Save yourself some coin for ammo, STI Trojan, blessed by dave, is a kick ass machine for the $$.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got about four USPSA Single-Stack matches under my belt now (my total experience is only 43 matches in other Divisions), and I'm shooting an STI Trojan. I'm left-handed, so I ordered it from Dawson with the Ambi safety and FO front sight, and I have added a magwell and Alumagrips. Out of the box, this was a very good gun. The trigger has had zero work and now pulls about 4 pounds, but it's so smooth and crisp that I don't want to mess with it.

I'm about to receive an STI Sentry that I ordered about five months ago. The main reasons for getting the Sentry were the internal magwell and finer checkering on the front strap. A little less bulk, and a little nicer finish.

The quality of the STI pistols I have seen is exceptional, I think they are easily worth the money and if necessary, the wait to get one.

By the way, the magazines I use are Chip McCormick Power Mags, they work nicely with the STI. Get a bunch, because you will be doing a lot more mag swapping! I carry five on the belt and one in the pocket: at "Load and Make Ready" I put a round in the chamber before putting a full 8-round mag in the gun.

Chris