Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Big disappointments

I have owned all sorts of guns, but I remember one that was a huge let-down. One day I found a used S&W M-29, blue, 4" that was the tightest S&W that I had ever picked up. The price was fair and I was sure that it would really shoot. I loaded every bullet - powder combo I could find, and finally gave in and traded the thing. I mean, the throats in it were a little large (no more than .433") but 6-7" groups at 25yds. with mild loads is unheard of in a M29. Now, if you loaded it to scary pressures groups occasionally would shrink to 3". That was my first chance to own Elmer Keiths famed 4" M29 and I had to sell it.

I'm sure that many of you have had a gun that you couldn't wait to get and it turned out to be a disappointment.

Guest Larry Cazes

Ruger P90 series, 9mm. It was my first semiauto handgun and I couldn't hit the side of a barn with it. It had the worst DA trigger I have ever encountered and the grips were made of slick plastic with zero aftermarket alternatives......Put it on consignment and took $180 for it just to get rid of it quick. What a dog!

Second choice would have to be a Berretta NEOS .22 handgun that I won at a match last year.

The Sig Trailside 22 auto pistol. $450 and the biggest piece of crap ever. Wouldn't feed. Wouldn't extract. Trigger mechanism couldn't handle short splits. Plus, every chamber was rough and it was up to the user to polish it or to cough up $35 to ship it back to Sig to fix a problem that was well-known to them.

The HK USP (first version to hit the US) runs a very close second. HK proclaimed their "carburized" finish to be SEAL tough. Totally impervious to the elements. Better than anything Glock could concieve...

!@%!@$^^! pistol rusted in the first week. What a POS...

I was never so happy as to see those two pistols go.

======================================

On a brighter note, my sleeper success was $165 impulse purchase at a gun show: The Springfield 22/410 survival rifle with the full grip trigger. Just for giggles, I put the gun on the bench at the range: 2 to 3 inch groups at 100 yards with the stock irons. Don't ask me what it's good for, but the silly thing shoots.

This will surprise you all but mine was/is a Jennings J-22. Who would have thought that a $54 pistol would be a piece of crap? :blink:

Disclaimer: I was young, inexperienced and thought that the cool looking stainless pocket pistol would make a great carry gun. I have aged and learned since then. B)

-Chet

Second choice would have to be a Berretta NEOS .22 handgun that I won at a match last year.

Larry, actually, I was thinking about buying one of these. what was the issue with it? :huh:

Before you make the purchase, get up to C-ville for a steel match and try out Anderson's or Iden's Beretta .22 (is is a different model than mentioned above).

Those things shoot great and they run better than most any .22 that I have seen so far. They are tough to get used to though. Very samll grip.

You will have to ask Steve or Ron what the model is. :unsure:

This will surprise you all but mine was/is a Jennings J-22. Who would have thought that a $54 pistol would be a piece of crap? :blink:

Disclaimer: I was young, inexperienced and thought that the cool looking stainless pocket pistol would make a great carry gun. I have aged and learned since then. B)

-Chet

I hate to admit it but I own two. :unsure:

One I purchased and the other one was given to me by my buddy who had bought his at the same time. I think I paid $60 for mine but since I now have two for that price, I guess they're only thirty dollar guns. :rolleyes:

And Dude, That's cheap plating on the Jennings, not stainless steel. :wacko:

I hate to admit it, but most of the 1911s I've owned have been huge disappointments until major work was done to them. I suppose I've been too stubborn to just get rid of them and get a new example that worked better. It all works out in the end, but it's very frustrating to buy a new gun that doesn't function properly.

The most recent disappointment was the 9mm Springfield. The extractor was a piece of crap, but that was easier to remedy myself than it would have been to ship it back to Springfield. The abysmal "accuracy" is another story, but hopefully that will be better in a month or two.

I think the only gun I've ever owned that I was disappointed in was a Browning BAR Semi-auto rifle. This is one of the only semi's available in a magnum caliber. If I'd bought it is something smaller than the 300 Win Mag, I probably would have liked it better. It was hard to shoot (recoil), expensive (80 grains of powder per shot), and had a very thin (read inaccurate after only a few rounds). Once the barrel heated up, that was that. Mind you that I bought it for all the wrong reasons. I sold it and picked up a model 700 Varmint in 308. The rifle I should have gotten in the first place.

Live and learn..

Vince

Guest Larry Cazes

BDH.....Re: NEOS .22. Horrible 8+ lb SA trigger with lots of creep, crappy iron sights, poor reliability with everything I tried. The trigger issues rendered the gun useless to me. I did find a forum that specializes in these and this setup was the norm with the users there. I sold it for half what it was selling for locally to move it fast.

Okay, thanks for the feedback on the NEOS. I certainly don't need another 22 pistol, as I have several that I rarely shoot anyway. I just wanted the NEOS because I think it looks cool. B) How's that for a stupid reason to buy a new gun?

Of course, if I don't shoot it much, then the crappy trigger won't bother me! :lol:

"Ruger P90 series, 9mm. It was my first semiauto handgun and I couldn't hit the side of a barn with it. It had the worst DA trigger I have ever encountered "

My 1st 9mm also - actually a P85 - ; it was ungawdly heavy & trigger was TERRIBLE (DA and SA). Glad it went away.

While I did not own one, my brother was talked into a S&W Smegma (or is that Sigma?) - a cheap knock off of the Glock. Unlike my Glock, the S&W jammed like crazy & did not shoot well at all; not to mention a crappy grip/trigger design. I like Smith revolvers over most other brands & I shot a cool old Model 39 once, but the smegma was & is, crap.

My gf's agency issue gun is a Ruger P95DAO. What a hunk of junk. The trigger pull on it is so horrible and so awkward that my finger cramped up after firing it 5 times and I couldn't pull the trigger anymore. It's eronomics are for %^ too and I got numerous blood blisters while shooting it. Not to mention that the thing rattles more than a Diamondback that just got stepped on. Of course, she has to use it, as the agency she works for won't allow them to use anything else. I think this was an obvious case of the low bidder winning the contract. What's worse, her's is the only agency that I know of that issues a Ruger. Wonder why.

What's worse, her's is the only agency that I know of that issues a Ruger. Wonder why.

Come on David I think you know why $$$$. Your right the Ruger centerfire pistols SUCK :ph34r: . They make good revo's and the rimfire .22's are hard to beat. I guess they have their priorities and centerfire pistols are not it.

The Sig Trailside 22 auto pistol. $450 and the biggest piece of crap ever. Wouldn't feed. Wouldn't extract. Trigger mechanism couldn't handle short splits. Plus, every chamber was rough and it was up to the user to polish it or to cough up $35 to ship it back to Sig to fix a problem that was well-known to them.

Same here. It shot fairly accurately... when it shot at all. Sent it back to factory, waited couple of months, got a brand new replacement gun, and sold it without even trying it out. Got CZ Kadet instead - it only likes hot ammo, but is considerably more accurate. There were no reliability issues untill I took it to a pin match. I guess I need to clean it or something... :lol:

I have one of the Copetition Model Trailsides and it shoots like a champ. The trigger is not great about 3# which is a tad heavy for my tastes on .22(my walther at >1#). But it makes a great backup.

Oh I also hated my ruger MK2 .22. What a pain in the rear to clean. That pull pin design. Sold it quick.

My first handgun, back in '97, a Colt Government Series-80- standard in .38Super. Didn't fit my XXXL hands (my mistake) but in this caliber it bounced like a Mustang, couldn't control it's recoil; its slide once cut the palm of my strong hand while trying to shoot supported weakhand. (I know...my mistake, the scar is still there, remembering me of past mistakes)

Sold it within a year for half the price. After that I found my way to Grand Prairie, TX :rolleyes:

I bought a Walther P22 for the kids to shoot and it was a mess. It had a gritty trigger and even from a sandbag I couldn't get better than 4-6" groups at 10 yards. I even bought the "target" barrel and that was no better.

My first 1911 was also a huge steaming turd. It was an Auto Ordnance (hey I was young and didn't know any better) government model. It was such a POS that the gunsmith I went to, after it cut my face with the ejected brass, gave me a flyer for the next gun show and suggested I find it a nice home there.

I used to think that those "old codgers" who told me to buy something of quality over something that I thought was a value were just trying to part me from my cash. Now I know better. Cheap isn't cheap. Damn. I must be an old codger now. Hey, at least my guns work!

-ld

My "disappointment" blaster was the Glock-34. The grip was atrocious. Now, Glock grips live in a world unto themselves anyway, and the 23 and such do fit a bit better (though I hate the plastic... don't get me started); but even with my long palms and long fingers I could NEVER figure out where to wrap my hands around this thing! It also tossed brass right back at my forhead nine shots out of ten, and boy did THAT frost my [body part] after just a short while. :angry:

I have a Ruger Mark II Government Model that I love, and just let my gunsmith clean it periodically. I just feed it rich-for-the-blood ammo and marvel at its uncanny accuracy. I'm actually looking for a duplicate. I eventually (if not sooner) want TWO of these in the SiG Lady gun stable. :wub:

lndshrk--

I, too, heard such tales about the Tomcat .32... from my range owners, no less. :o

Carlos--

The S&W Sigma also has a bad self-destruct reputation.... :o