Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trying to understand the benifits of reloading.

EvilBetty

I just about started a brawl in another thread suggesting shooting competitions should use off the shelf ammo to even the playing field. I realize now that people have a ton of different reasons for reloading.

If I were to begin doing this, my current reasons would be to build a competitive load for my guns, and to save some money.

But I haven't been able to make reloading work in my head. I don't really have the will or time for it, and don't have the mental assembly line ability to crank out a repetitive task over and over accurately. I am a perfectionist, but I also bore easily. I know I'd end up trying to watch TV at the same time as reloading and next thing you know I'm looking at a tray of loaded rounds wondering when exactly my powder dispenser ran empty. Or laying on my ass at the range wondering why my slide just exploded. No... I'd probably end up taking every round apart and starting over, afraid the scale lies.

But seriously these are my concerns.

How much time do you spend reloading say... 500 rounds of 9mm / 500 rounds of .223?

Assuming you collect your own brass and buy everything else, how much does it cost you per round for 9mm/.223?

How much of an investment have you made up until now in your reloading equipment (not counting consumables, assuming that's part of your round count).

Edited by EvilBetty

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time for 500? 1 HR 550B

Cost per rd? $.18

Shooting my own custom made ammunition in my own gun, and taking full responsibility for the results and loving it? PRICELESS! :D

Is that timem/money for 9mm or .223? I'm buying factory Federal 9mm for about $0.20 a round and .223 for about $0.30 a round.

my current to build a competitive load , and save money.

How much time do you spend reloading say... 500 rounds of 9mm / 500 rounds of .223?

Assuming you collect your own brass and buy everything else, how much does it cost you per round for 9mm/.223?

How much of an investment have you made up until now in your reloading equipment

Evil, if you don't have the personality to reload - then don't - be a mistake.

To reload .223, you can eliminate the Square Deal - so you now need a 550 - that,

with all the other equipment will probably run $750 or so (someone will give you

a closer estimate in a few minutes).

With the 550, you can probably reload 1,000 rounds of 9mm in 3 hours (+/-).

The 9mm will probably cost you $ 100 - 170/1,000 for all the components (used brass)

depends on weight & type bullet (lead or jacketed).

I believe you can save more on the .223, but I don't reload that caliber, and it

does involve more prep work - you can reload same number of rounds/hour, once you've

prepped the cases, which is another task.

You probably won't save any money until you hit the 5,000 cartridge range for 9mm,

but sooner for the .223. Loading 500 of each round doesn't begin to pay for the

equipment.

And then there is the learning curve, and having the space/time available to reload.

Sometimes it's better to keep buying commercial ammo - and some of our members do

sell loaded ammo - you might want to look into that (see Mr. Cardel, etc).

Good luck with it - I wouldn't jump into it until you've thought it

out - you can get better ammo by reloading, also - that might make a difference

to you.

:cheers:

I load 40. I have a buddy that gets me brass, so I don't have to buy brass so my numbers are a little lower than some. I reload 40 for about $0.13 a round.

On my 650 without working to hard I load about 800 rounds per hour.

You probably won't save any money until you hit the 5,000 cartridge range for 9mm,

but sooner for the .223. Loading 500 of each round doesn't begin to pay for the

equipment.

My 500 number was a number I figured I could stand reloading at a time (less than an hour) and which I was sure would cover a couple weeks of shooting. If I did this I would plan on reloading a batch of 500 every couple weeks.

You might consider purchasing a cheaper Turret style system like the Lee Classic Cast 4 hole turret. For $100 press plus dies, powder measure, scale, and components you can start reloading.

If a single stage press is an old S&W revolver and a Dillon progressive press is a Dillon Aero Gatling gun, the turret press is a semi-auto. Something in between.

You could cut your teeth on reloading for a cheap(ish) price to see if you like it before you spend 6 times that on Dillon equipment.

Here is a link to a cost calculator:

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

For me .223 works out to about 18 cents each (assuming an avg. 3 cent case cost) with a decent bullet (hornady 55gr FMJ) which is much more accurate than the mil surplus stuff. In 38 super it runs about 16.5 cents per round (assuming an average of 3 cent case cost) with MG bullets.

Some divisions/calibers pretty much require that you reload. Personally, I like the process and consider reloading to be a respectable skill and part of the sport.

I'd say if you have to ask what the benefits are, then maybe you aren't there yet. When you start asking yourself why you aren't reloading, that is when you should call Brian.

Edited by Bamboo

Another option is to find a place near you that sells reloads. There is a guy near me that sells reloads specifically for competition shooters. He costs a little more than if I did it myself, but there is no investment of time or money for equipment from me. He charges $14 for 50 .45ACP with brass trade, or $16 without. Cheap off the shelf .45ACP is $21 for 50 rnds. I usually don't trade in brass, but it save me $5 a box. And he will load to suit what I want. 9mm and .40S&W are cheaper, since they are cheaper to produce, and the prices go down a little if you buy in bulk.

Go to a good local gun store and ask them were you can get reloads. That's how I found the guy near me.

I plan to eventually start reloading my own ammo once I can get all the equipment and learn how to do it, but I'm not sure how long that will take me to do.

Here is a link to a cost calculator:

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

For me .223 works out to about 18 cents each (assuming an avg. 3 cent case cost) with a decent bullet (hornady 55gr FMJ) which is much more accurate than the mil surplus stuff. In 38 super it runs about 16.5 cents per round (assuming an average of 3 cent case cost) with MG bullets.

Some divisions/calibers pretty much require that you reload. Personally, I like the process and consider reloading to be a respectable skill and part of the sport.

I'd say if you have to ask what the benefits are, then maybe you aren't there yet. When you start asking yourself why you aren't reloading, that is when you should call Brian.

I have looked into this several times in the past. Usually I end up finding myself on Midway USA wondering how people are saving money buying bullets at that price. Then oogling all the reloading equipment (I love machines). I don't want to buy stuff I wish I had spent more money on later.

I've been told people buy there bullets somewhere else at quantity but I haven't found where yet. I've looked at Dillon and RCBS progressive presses but don't know why I'd want one over the other or how much of this automated add on stuff makes sense to buy. Both of these things I'll have to figure out later if I decide to jump into this this.

As I said my prime motivators are cost and custom loads. It turns out my M&P9 5" doesn't like 115gr loads. Shoots low. But with a heavier bullet it it shoots POA. I was looking at buying a lower front sight when I again started to reconsider reloading to build a more competitive load. The art and perfection apeal to me, just not the tedium.

That said I probably spend more time cleaning my guns than anyone I've ever talked to. My guns are spotless when I'm done, but some nights I'll spend 3 hours cleaning my shotgun, AR, and a couple pistols. I do this while watching TV or a movie though.

I don't really have the will or time for it, and don't have the mental assembly line ability to crank out a repetitive task over and over accurately. I am a perfectionist, but I also bore easily. I know I'd end up trying to watch TV at the same time as reloading and next thing you know I'm looking at a tray of loaded rounds wondering when exactly my powder dispenser ran empty. Or laying on my ass at the range wondering why my slide just exploded. No... I'd probably end up taking every round apart and starting over, afraid the scale lies.

You know yourself best. If this is really you and you can't see yourself changing your personality, maybe reloading isn't for you. Nothing wrong with that conclusion at all. Now if you think you can stand (and have time for) a half hour session several times a week, you might reconsider for the reasons mentioned - load customization and reduced cost. I used to leave the press setup and just crank through a few hundred several times a week to feed the weekend. On occassion, I'd do a marathon session and crank out several thou, but that was rare.

I'm buying ammo right now because it's convenient and because I sold my press when I quit in the late 90's. Since coming back and buying ammo, I'll say that I don't miss the press time or the sore back and knees from picking brass.

That said, there's a 1050 in my future and this time around, I'll buy brass from the Classifieds and save my joints.

I can reload .40 for about $.16 a round. THAT'S why I reload.

$103/1K Xtreme plated bullets

$24/1k primers

$25/1k brass

$11/1k powder

If I didn't buy brass it'd be much cheaper.

Going slow I can load 400 rounds/hour on my SDB.

I dont buy 9mm brass, and last time I checked, I was at about $.10 a round.

My brass is free so I am at around $111 per 1,000. My local Scheels sells 250 count boxes for $90. I shoot a good 1K a month during the summer so you do the math. I have a bit over $1,500 in equipment so at around $250 a thousand savings I started to break even at around 8,000 rounds and have been saving ever since then.

I will load off and on during the week so I will do around 1,000 over 3 hours. When I get below 500 I will spend the time to pump out another 1,000 rounds so that I have a decent cushion for a few weeks again.

Reloading sucks, taking the time to reload sucks, cleaning, sorting, and picking up brass sucks, making the first investment purchases sucks, dumping a ton of money at the beginning of each year to have components on hand suck. Screwing with your press because all at once it decides to not feed primers, or the cases feeder doesn't work, or some shit nickel part breaks and you don't have a spare parts kit. Then if everything works and you load 500 rounds you still have case gauge it, check all the primers to make sure none were smashed or are high, then you get them all put in the cases and head to your match.

And if you are at a big match you still get nervouse at chrono hoping that nothing went wrong, and that your powder didn't all of sudden drop 40fps!

If you can afford factory or Atlanta Arms and Ammo or DC Ammo then go for it.

I reload because it saves money based on the amount I shoot.

Otherwise at the begining of the year I would call up and order a pallet of ammo.

Reloading sucks, taking the time to reload sucks, cleaning, sorting, and picking up brass sucks, making the first investment purchases sucks, dumping a ton of money at the beginning of each year to have components on hand suck. Screwing with your press because all at once it decides to not feed primers, or the cases feeder doesn't work, or some shit nickel part breaks and you don't have a spare parts kit. Then if everything works and you load 500 rounds you still have case gauge it, check all the primers to make sure none were smashed or are high, then you get them all put in the cases and head to your match.

And if you are at a big match you still get nervouse at chrono hoping that nothing went wrong, and that your powder didn't all of sudden drop 40fps!

If you can afford factory or Atlanta Arms and Ammo or DC Ammo then go for it.

I reload because it saves money based on the amount I shoot.

Otherwise at the begining of the year I would call up and order a pallet of ammo.

I would probably still load even if I could afford to order a pallet of ammo, but keep the phone away from me if I ever get that rich, because I may be tempted. I like my ammo better than anyone else's but I agree, it's not exactly the most fun task ever.

Reloading might not be that much fun, but if I didn't load, I wouldn't shoot. I can't remember the last time I shot a round of factory centerfire pistol or rifle ammo.

I will say that if you're pricing midway components, that explains why you don't think we save money. If I had to order components from Midway, I wouldn't bother reloading at all.

I shoot .40 with the heaviest bullets you can get and the most expensive powder, and even then, I'm at less than $.18 a round if I'm buying brass. Less if I'm using range pick up brass or using my brass again. It would be way cheaper to shoot 9mm 115s but I only shoot .40 now.

reloads.JPG

Reloading to me is an extension of my shooting hobby. I love going to a Major and watching guys wince when the first round at chrono is announced. I like being able to tell somebody I should be at 173 PF and get 173 PF.

Besides, if you stop looking on midway and check the RIGHT places you can get down to a 50% savings.

Reloading to me is an extension of my shooting hobby. I love going to a Major and watching guys wince when the first round at chrono is announced. I like being able to tell somebody I should be at 173 PF and get 173 PF.

Besides, if you stop looking on midway and check the RIGHT places you can get down to a 50% savings.

3 majors now I have gone 179! That chrono is rigged.

I can't wait to get my 1050 cranking out the rounds. Never mind the savings, which as others have pointed out, takes time to realize, how about the simple satisfaction of looking at your loads and thinking, "I made that, it's a custom round all for me and my gun." I am the quality control officer, the purchasing department, the strong laborer, and the President and CEO of Lifeislarge Inc. manufacturers of fine ammunition.

For me, shooting will now be a lifelong persuit, and I suppose in the end, if saving a few bucks along the way allows me to enjoy it more often, then that's just the icing on the cake.

Cost per round is about 1/3 or less from retail factory loaded rounds. Reloading is not only for saving money, but for other reasons such as: enjoyment (people actually enjoy reloading), availability of ammo (ammo are scarce in some areas, or factories don't make certain ammo anymore), finding the most accurate custom loads, and re-cycling (saving mother earth.

Hibby - Component sources I would recommend:

Cases - Everglades, Brassman, or local brass rats for used. Starline for new.

Primers/Powder - Powder Valley

Bullets: Montana Gold for jacketed pistol and 55gr FMJ rifle, hornady FMJ for rifle (gotta watch for sales on these from places like Midway - Black Friday last year they had a good sale), Long range rifle Hornady/Sierra/Speer/Nosler (again watch for sales from the big outlets).

Others will add their favorites, or a search of BE.com will turn up favorites of others.

If I was rich I'd probably still reload, but I'd hire a person to do the tedious tasks like prepping rifle brass and do the reloading for me when I was just too busy surfing Costa Rica, skiing Alta, or just napping in a lounger on a cruise ship. ;) (Hey! it's nice to dream!)