Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lens Color

jnshapiro

So does anyone else have a fogging problem with wrap around lenses?

Yup. Look at the Rudy Kerosenes. You can pop the lenses down a notch in the frames so that there's a vent in the front - which helps break the fog-lock. I don't know how well the vent works for static use, but it's nothing short of a miracle for skiing. Rudys are the ONLY optic that doesn't fog on me skiing.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can fog up just about anything but my Rudy Kerosene Golfs stay clear as long as I have the vents going even with the Rx insert in them.

As for color...I find I am using the Rudy Racing Red >70% of the time. If it is exceptionally bright I will put in the smoke grey. During the winter in fog and very dim days I put in the yellow. When I shot NRA smallbore rifle I wore yellow indoors too.

I find that I need to use green fiber in my front sight when I wear the red. The red fiber kind of just disappears in the background clutter. But maybe that is just me. Which reminds me...I need to change out the fiber in the shotgun front site to green....

So does anyone else have a fogging problem with wrap around lenses? 

To help prevent fogging of glasses of all types, go to your local scuba shop and get a bottle of mask defogger. One application will last a couple of scuba dives. All day for your glasses. There are several different brands and types out there and your dive shop will help you decide which one is suitable for your application.

Or, you can use the Universal Scuba Divers Mask Defog Solution ... spit.

So does anyone else have a fogging problem with wrap around lenses? If I have my ball cap on (which I always do with my fair skin and 50 sunblock) and I shoot in the humid climate (Barry any time of year <grin>), as soon as I break a sweat - my glasses fog. Thus I have put practicality over fashion (I know - unheard of for a woman) and I wear the fly boy style frames with rose tint. I look like Geekamo Jones but it works.

I'm contemplating buying some Rudy Graal Fyol's as I like the idea of changeable lenses. They weren't my first choice though - I would have gone for the kerosene model except they don't have an orange replacement lens....What is up with that! Make a million different models but only certain colors come in certain frames...Argh! Oh that's right, there's more money in Golf than shooting.....(rant mode off).

I quit wearing the M Frames and the Rudy Kerosenes because of the fogging problem. I now wear the Rudy Jekyll's and don't have a problem with fogging at all. They are interchangeable lenses too!

I've found the least tint possible, just enough to keep you from squinting, is best.

My favorite shade, and I don't know if it's still available from Oakley, is a very light color that makes greens appear more green. And they also had a slight mirror coating on the outside of the lens. The overall tint was very light, but the combination of the mirroring and the shading allowed me to almost always wear them in the AZ summer.

be

So I bought a pair of Rudy Graal Fyol's (try saying that three times fast)....The orange frames come with three lenses; the action brown (high contrast, 22% Visible Light Transmission), orange (medium contrast, 70% VLT) and clear. All of that for close to a C note. For another $35 I can pick up a set of yellow lenses (87% VLT). Compared to other brands, it's a good value for the price. They also passed the fog test yesterday. It was high 90's with awful humidity. I wore my ball cap all day and not once did I experience my very own meteoric chamber! They wrap around nicely, good coverage. I though I would notice the lower frame in my peripheral but I don't. They also have a replacement guarantee for lens scratches...How cool is that!

• 3 months later...

I like a light yellow or amber tint. The vermillion are the next best but they tend to distort things a little too much for all day wear.

I really liked the Wiley X's with a "Light Rust" tint lens. Unfortunately, my head seems to be made of Wiley X kryptonite. The material around the temple hinge point is just too thin and I got tired of having to write in and request replacements all the time. I actually picked up a pair of Crews el-cheapo safety glasses just to get me by for a while. I think I paid about $3 for the pair. My plan was to replace them with something nice once they broke but that was a year and a half ago and I'm still trying to break that first pair.

When they do finally break or get enough scratches, I may try some SunBuster's. They're still pretty new but I tried some of these on a couple months ago and was really impressed w/ the lens quality/clarity and they're a good bit cheaper than the Wiley's, Oakley's, and Rudy's.

Oh, and nothing beats "Cat Crap" for anti-fog.

• 2 months later...

I have been using the Rudy Project Racing red lens mostly, they offer enough tint so your not squinting in the direct sun light and there perfect for shooting in the shade.

I wear Oakleys. As gray as possible. I tend to get headaches in the glare, so I tend to wear a little darker shade than some. I prefer as gray as possible - though in flat, overcast light, I find the VR28 lens (amber-ish/red-ish tint - does tend to make the greens "greener") really helps restore contrast. I use 'em for driving, golf, shooting, whatever, in that light. Otherwise, it's Slate Iridium (light grey w/ mirror). If it's really bright, I'll go to Black Iridium (which is also my standard sunglasses shade) - darker than the slate grey, and mirrored.

There's a list of Oakley's lens tints here: Oakley Lens Tints

Ive been wearing Oakley M frames w the vented holes at the top and yellow tint lately. They really brighten things up for me, I think Ill try the persimmon tint, its kind of orangish. I like the tints that create a contrast between the sights and targets as much as possible.

Been shooting with Decot Hy Wyds for a while now. Bought them originally to shoot sporting clays. The colors "romance" the target. In other words you can make the target stand out and you can also subdue the background by using different color lens.

Use the lightest tint that you can get away with because the heavier tint will restrict your depth perception as mentioned earlier. This web sight has a wealth of information on lens colors and why: http://www.sportglasses.com/content/produc...mmendations.asp

Rick

Ive been wearing Oakley M frames w the vented holes at the top and yellow tint lately. They really brighten things up for me, I think Ill try the persimmon tint, its kind of orangish. I like the tints that create a contrast between the sights and targets as much as possible.

Oakley persimmon lenses are really great. I've started to wear them more and more, especially on overcast days. Helps with contrast and "brightens" up everything, but warmly. I really like wearing them when driving on rainy overcast days.

When I started using the Sunbuster glasses, there was a lens color in the array called SportsEye Violet. I had never tried a violet or purple lens in anything I had used previously. I was surprised how much I liked it. I use it for indoors, as well as cloudy and overcast conditions outdoors. I change over to the dark lens only in full sun conditions and now pretty much use only one or the other for any situation. I'm starting to convert some of my friends over to the violet as well. If your array has a violet or purple lens, give it a try. You might be as surprised as I was.

• 6 months later...

I have an old generation pair of M frames, but they broke so I'm upgrading and trying to decide what lens tint to get... I already have clear.

I definitely want shaded first and foremost as my eyes are very sensitive to sunlight. From reading the posts and just from my experience, I'm thinking about the Black Iridium polarized, Titanium Iridium polarized, or the VR28 polarized. I also may get another lens for the partly cloudy days when I need more than clear but not too dark - I was thinking possibly the Gold Iridium, Black Violet Iridium, or Grey

(http://oakley.com/technology/lens_tints/)

Also, does anyone prefer the vented holes (I'm getting the Hybrid S lenses) and why or why not?

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks,

Rebecca

here in the tropics, vented lenses are the way to go to minimize fogging during humid days.

the persimmon/orange and red-brown tint lenses are excellent for reducing glare and enhancing contrast during cloudy/overcast days.

the iridium and dark gray lenses are best for bright sunny days but i experience some loss of depth of field when wearing very dark lenses, so i stick with the medium transmission ones

• 8 months later...
I have an old generation pair of M frames, but they broke so I'm upgrading and trying to decide what lens tint to get... I already have clear.

I definitely want shaded first and foremost as my eyes are very sensitive to sunlight. From reading the posts and just from my experience, I'm thinking about the Black Iridium polarized, Titanium Iridium polarized, or the VR28 polarized. I also may get another lens for the partly cloudy days when I need more than clear but not too dark - I was thinking possibly the Gold Iridium, Black Violet Iridium, or Grey

(http://oakley.com/technology/lens_tints/)

Also, does anyone prefer the vented holes (I'm getting the Hybrid S lenses) and why or why not?

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks,

Rebecca

Rebecca, I have an M frame set with the gold iridium lenses & really enjoy the high contrast these lenses have. They are relatively dark but the oakley numbers show a high light transmission number. Not sure how they achieve that. I can use them in the brightest days & not get eye strain plus if it starts getting a little overcast, they still work pretty well. Personally, I don't have a fogging problem so I don't have them, however, I wonder if they would be a little less hot with vent holes? The lenses are pretty tough, as well. I've caught several good frags & no chips, yet! I've been using them nearly two years, by the way. MLM

• 5 months later...

Before I took pistols seriously, I shot skeet. Everyone wears a violety red/blue combo out there. If you guys are wearing yellow outside, your burning your eyes out of their sockets! they are for indoor low light situations. I have a yellow pair just like flexmoney's for the indoor range. I only have my grey Gucci's, and When get my new prescripts, you can bet I'll get a pair of red racers. I would think for best target/sight aquisition that a more red or violet would make things really visible. I used to snowboard a lot and I would ride at night with YELLOW goggles to see the the contrast in the snow and for better night vison.

I'm a big Decot fan. I read Tubb's latest book and tried his recommendation. I agree!. When shooting you want to keep the pupil small which gives you the greatess depth of field. Which means seeing the front and rear sights as clear as possible. However a lot of light is blue, ultraviolet and isn't helpful. So Idea of blue blocker comes in. Decot has many different levels of blue blocker. I chose the lightest one looks slightly pink. It really makes the targets stand out, and I don't find myself squinting.

One caveat, as dusk moves in I found that color of target matters with the blue blocker. Red is easiest, followed by green, then blue. So for dusk shooting clear lenses is best choice.