Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lens Color

jnshapiro

Rudy Laser Red lenses are great for the above situations. They tend to cut through the haze and just make everything nice and sharp. As the light gets brighter during the day though, I'll switch out to a smoke or Blue reflective lens (forget the name of it). It definitely keeps things crystal clear and trims down the brightness substantially.

I just try to have my eyes relaxed with whatever level of tint I'm going for. When it's bright or gray out, your eyes (at least to me) seem to be working "too" hard to find targets and focus them. By finding the right level of tint, your eyes can relax and as such pick up objects more quickly.

I figured this out on the range, but verified since the job change on board Blackhawks. Yeah we have our visors, but I like the air on my face so most times it's visor(s) up and Rudy's on.

Rich

• 4 years later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

I recently added the photochromic clears to my set of Rudy glasses as well. They work great on my clubs range some of our bays have no cover and others are full shade. I never have any eye strain or squinting due to light conditions.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oakley guy here; VR28 is a great all around lens that is available in different frame styles. It gives good contrast yet is not too dark. When it gets overcast/dark in goes the clear lens. Recently switched to the G30 in my Half Jackets for shooting, contrast is a little better than the VR28, and... chicks dig it haha. Going to get the G30 for my Radar also. The G30 has a light subtle purplish tint which seems to make the cardboard targets and the iron sights stand out. Just enough tint to reduce glare from the sun but not too much to make small stuff hard to see.

I found the Oakley orange (Persimmon) to be too harsh during regular daylight, and the yellow even more so.

Edited by blaster113

• 3 weeks later...

With the current crop of lenses, what seems to work best with a green FO front sight for sharp contrast on the target? I have bifocals with a Rx insert in my ESS shooting glasses. Right now I have a clear lense for indoor/overcast conditions and a dark lense for sunny conditions. Thanks.

Jim

• 6 months later...

With the current crop of lenses, what seems to work best with a green FO front sight for sharp contrast on the target? I have bifocals with a Rx insert in my ESS shooting glasses. Right now I have a clear lense for indoor/overcast conditions and a dark lense for sunny conditions. Thanks.

Jim

I have found that a light/med yellow lens really make the green dawson FO front stand out nicely when shooting outdoors.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm rather pleased with my Oakley RadarPath VR50 Photochromic. The lenses are a bronze/red that fade to nearly clear in low light. I also like the vents along the top of the lens that allow moisture to escape rather than condensing on hot/humid days.

• 4 weeks later...