Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lens Color

jnshapiro

I've been experimenting with different yellows, but haven't really settled on one. I don't like the grey's and colors as they seem to give me problems seeing the front sight. The yellows increase the contrast, at least for me.

What do you prefer and why?

Thanks!

Joel

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're shields (eye protection) first, sun glasses second, and fashion statements third. Some folks have their priorities a bit turned about, though.

I ascribe to the good doctor eye cutter's school of light lenses, unless it's bright enough to make me squint, which adds its own distortion to visual acuity, or unless I'm just too lazy to change the shields.

I've been using the red Rudy Project Rydon lens...I have clear, yellow, and black (and have borrowed the blue ones), but found that the red worked worked the best. It really seems to sharpen the contrast of target arrays.

At least for me, of course :)

Alex

On a cloudy day I use clear lenses, but on a sunny day I really need dark lenses to shield from the sun.

I have pale blue eyes and can't really stand strong sun light. Sometimes it happened I was forced to use clear lenses in strong sunlight conditions for the whole day on the range; upon coming back at home, in late afternoon, I had my eyes burning and red a the point I was tearsing for several minutes.

This happens invariably when I use clear lenses in strong sunlight, but never happens when I wear dark ones.

OTOH, the optician stopped reading my sight at the 11/10 line, thus I don't feel I'm loosing practically any kind of vision clarity with dark lenses... ;)

I currently use yellow (bit darker than the night driving kind) for cloudy/shady/night shooting and dark gry (nearly black) for daylight shooting. What was important in my lens selection is the amount of colour distortion (prob my perseption) they gave. I hate lenses that turn the world into another colour.... :angry:

I think that lens choice should be made individually and based on what you are trying to see.

I use orange lenses, and a green f/o front sight. Orange makes anything green stand way out. The green f/o looks like it has a battery its so easy to track.

This is only what worked for me. Try a bunch of different colors out with different colors of front sights make sure you are pointing the gun at cardboard so you can see the contrast of sight against target. I found one combo that looked great until I had the front sight on the target then I could barely see it.

Dan

doc kevin: since we all have chinky eyes, we look like we're perpetually squinting anyway! :lol:

<_<:lol::P;)

(The last one is half and half, which I have been accused of being. AAMOF, I apparently am so unchinese looking that, visiting my wife's home town village in Toisan, I kept getting looks from the locals, who had heard she'd married "an American", aka, a "round eye", as in :rolleyes:)

I use S&W safety/shooting glasses from wal-mart they are not yellow they are more like orange.. they don't make things SUPER bright thought. they make USPSA and IDPA paper jump out at you though. I've noticed slightly better hits and quicker "target finding" abilities especially when brown target is in front of brown dirt it lets me seperate them quicker.

These can cause some eye strain if worn for hours on end. but to me it's kind of worth it, i also wear a hat bill kind of low. they wrap around to give good protection adn are cheap so when i scratch them up i can buy a new pair.

Happy Shooting

I use the oakley orange lenses in mid to low light, and the black irridium in realy bright light. The orange makes the details stand out IE the perfs on the targets, we use them in the sand dunes to find the ridges and drop offs, which if you don't see em you are in for a ride of a lifetime. :o

Ivan

SCS Vegas

I liked my yellow Wiley X's, especially on overcast days. They make everything look post-apocolypse-ic, like the landscape in 28 DAYS LATER. Also made plates pop. However, I've now been told numerous times that the yellow lenses "make you look like a complete dweeb" on television.

Okay guys....do I look like a compete dweeb in yellow glasses???

I've got Uvex in clear, just in case!

MB

I use clear under lower light conditions (rain, dark clouds, very late in the day), but 85% of the time, Oakley VR28 lenses in Half-jacket frames is the only thing I'll use. They're pretty amazing.

Phil

Phil,

You like the Oakley half jacket frames? Which ones, the half jacket or half jacket XJ? Also, you like the half jackets better than the M frames?

Ive got M frames and both kinds of half jackets and love them. I havent tried the half jackets for shooting yet though, only the M frames. They just seem to cover everything vision wise, top, bottom, left, right, everywhere.

I have the black half jackets for casual wear though and love them.

Kevin,

I use the clear Pro-M frames, and the VR28 in the regular half-jackets. I have VR28 lenses for my Pro-M's, but I only need to see directly in front of me when shooting, so the half jackets work just as well. It really just comes down to cool points.....chicks dig the half-jackets! :D

I agree, the half jackets are great for cool points. Then again, Phil, anything you shoot with has cool points.

I might try my half jackets for shooting, I love to wear them otherwise. I have urban camo M frames for my SWAT glasses and love them on call outs.

I'll have to try the VR28 lenses in my half jackets.

Thanks Phil,

Hope everything is going well otherwise.

I promise you'll see more of me at more major matches. I haven't shot a match since Florida Open this year. Had a SWAT school to attend and then had shoulder surgery in May so Im just now getting back into it. Ive really enjoyed shooting my Sig 226 though.

Rudy Project RB3 to facilitate my prescription lenses. I use clear probably 90% of the time. If it is REALLY bright I have some greys that seem OK, for those dark dank damp days where you just can't see right I find the vermillion works well and I stil can see the fiber optic dot on my new front sight.

Jim

So does anyone else have a fogging problem with wrap around lenses? If I have my ball cap on (which I always do with my fair skin and 50 sunblock) and I shoot in the humid climate (Barry any time of year <grin>), as soon as I break a sweat - my glasses fog. Thus I have put practicality over fashion (I know - unheard of for a woman) and I wear the fly boy style frames with rose tint. I look like Geekamo Jones but it works.

I'm contemplating buying some Rudy Graal Fyol's as I like the idea of changeable lenses. They weren't my first choice though - I would have gone for the kerosene model except they don't have an orange replacement lens....What is up with that! Make a million different models but only certain colors come in certain frames...Argh! Oh that's right, there's more money in Golf than shooting.....(rant mode off).