Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SIG,Kimber or Colt 1911

Two friends recently bought Kimbers, and both sent theirs back. That was a total of three guns BTW. Both bought the CZ Dan Wesson pistols and are very happy with them. My dad recently purchased a couple of SA pistols, and he really likes them.

What are you calling "target" shooting?

If bullseye, best would be a Clark or some other custom gun made up for Bullseye.

Otherwise, it's like buying a car. Look at the features you want, look at the guns having them, and select the one having the features you like for a price you are willing to pay.

Jimmyzip - what was the problem with the Kimbers?

Guy

I have an STI Trojan purchased from Dawson Precision with there super tuning package. It's always reliable, accurate and fun to shoot. There's one every now and then in the classified section. Good luck with your purchase.

I have a kimber stainless 2 45 and it is an amazingly accurate pistol. Shoots smaller more consistant groups than my x5. I have had several FTFs and FTEs with it though. I am thinking its the cheap mags (or I want to think that) but havent tried any other yet. I am a big SIG fan and I dont think you can go wrong with what you get for the price. Quality pistol with great customer service if you have a problem. Do not own a sig 1911 yet though it is on my to do list.

I have an older kimber,,,,,that pistol has been rock solid. Very accurate, very reliable. My mags are almost all cmc's that I have had for over a decade and the just run and run and run. Not sure about their newer pistols, but my old pre-series ii has been a great pistol.

However, if I were to buy a single stack today, I would probably either look for an older kimber,,,,go with a new sti.

I have three Kimbers and they all run like a top. Have not had one issue with any of them. I just started shooting matches with my team match but it has 4000+ rounds through it prior and is as good as new. Not sure what series they are but the oldest is 6 years and the newest is less than a year old. Most of the shooters I shoot with have Kimbers and all love them....Just my experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you looking for target rear sight? If not you just opened yourself up to a whole world of possibilities. :D

Dan Wesson: Heritage or Valor

Kimber: Gold Match II line, or any of their Pro(4") or Ultra (3") models.

I have nothing bad at all to say about Kimber. I've owned them for several years along with Nighthawk Customs and Wilson Combat pistols. You can't go wrong with a Kimber. Regardless of the 'internet garbage' you hear about them. Ninety percent of the failure to eject issues with Kimber's II line have been due to limp wristing. I've witnessed it first hand!

Springfield makes good guns, but you have to inspect them prior to purchase. I have seen some pretty sloppy machine marks and fitting on their slides since August of 2011.

I've never owned an STI, but they've gained quite a following over the past several years, so they must be doing something right!

If you are looking for a fun and sturdy gun with all of the bells and whistles .... hunt you down a Ruger SR1911. They are sweet for the money and have features that are usually only included on higher end custom models.

Hope that helps, and remember ... with 1911s you can't own just one! It becomes an addiction really fast. :)

Edited by roostershooter

• 2 weeks later...

Ive heard all there was to hear about kimbers as far as being bad guns, just had a buddy that didnt care what was being said and bought a grand raptor 2, we have put around 500 or so rounds through it and it had a failure to load once. Made me laugh ALOT at first until my XDM did it about 2mins later :roflol: Ill own a kimber stainless II before months end, I want to try limited 10 :cheers:

I would not buy any of the above either. Sig uses an external extractor and a non-standard slide profile, Kimber's quality control is crap, and Colt never had any at all. In fact, there's a video on the internet somewhere of the Colt factory and you can see that they don't even bother to fit the slide to the frame.

+1 on the STI Spartan suggestion.

For such poor quality control and such crappy guns I myself cant believe kimber is still in buisness. :rolleyes: lets not get started with how much of a sorry company colt is either, gha the audacity of someone who would buy a firearm stamped colt :huh:

But a sig? Theres haters on kimbers and colts but no haters for sig? Am i the only person that has takin a sig out and well lets just say not impressed...Im not gonna hate on them because Im a hands on critic and believe that I may have gotten my hands on a lemon.(practically brand new with 400 rounds) Ill save my comments just in case theres a rebuttal of sorts.

• 8 months later...