Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Let the primer shortage begin!

Sarge

Folks can think it is a made up shortage if they want but as a dealer we have had difficulty getting in orders of small pistol primers from distributors for the past two months. We were warned by one distributor in January to expect shortages of components and from the looks of things they were correct.

So if you find what you want on the shelves you had probably best buy and not quibble over a few dollars difference in price.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Commercially speaking....

We are seeing all the supplies dry up, when we used to receive orders in days, now it is weeks and we are being quoted longer than that....

Things are going to get tight, and I am afraid that this will make 2008 shortages look small.

Let's put it this way.....

I just received XTPS that were on order for months....and am loading bianchi ammo which is 2 weeks away..... :eatdrink:

I am having to push new orders out 30-60 days....And my bigger commercial loader buddies are hurting worse than I am....

Get what you need for the next two years and feel better....

DougC

• 3 weeks later...

I was hurting pretty bad this last election season also. I decided that this would never happen again. I have decided to keep a larger stock on hand for several reasons. Saving money on the Haz Mat shipping charges and not having to go around scrounging in every WalMart looking/fighting for a box of ammo. So a minimum of #12lbs of powder, and 40K+ plus primers on hand.

I am actually saving money by ordering in larger quantity.

Sportsman's Warehouse had a full selection of primers last weekend and was well supplied in each model. Their prices had not increased like I have seen elsewhere.

I have about 50K on hand so I am not worrying about primers. I need to increase my supply of bullets. Probably will call CZ Custom this week.

This is puzzling. The people that were hoarders 4 years ago still have huge supplies... so who the hell or what the hell is causing it this time????

All the people that were begging for primers because they did not plan ahead are now buying more, and more, and more, and more :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

I just got 25,000 Fed SPP and 25,000 Fed LPP delivered last week from Ellet Brothers, and I think they still had ~60,000 Fed SPP and ~200,000 Fed LPP in stock. I don't think there's any sort of shortage.

Edited by iShootguns

I just got 25,000 Fed SPP and 25,000 Fed LPP delivered last week from Ellet Brothers, and I think they still had ~60,000 Fed SPP and ~200,000 Fed LPP in stock. I don't think there's any sort of shortage.

260,000 is not a very big number. Remember a few years ago when PV had over 50 million on back order? If somebody feels panicky they would order all 260k without blinking an eye. Heck you just ordered 50k. A few more orders like that and they will be gone.

Well, I went in the store on Thursday for my usual primer "tax". I should buy them in bulk but instead I buy a few thousand here, a few thousand there. Anyway, not a SPP to be found. This is the only one they were out of though. This is also the second time I have gone in (month) that they haven't had any SPP's.

Man I gotta get my orders in before the hoarders start

I am not hoarding. I just decided to buy primers once a year instead of several times a year. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Same here. I keep 5,000 on hand but when I order I usually order 10,000 - 15,000. It may seem like a lot to some but that's only two to three cases.

Edited by retarmyaviator

I'm not seeing any shortage yet. None of the major online sources are back ordered and all the local stores have all sizes in stock, from at least a couple manufacturers. Not to say a shortage is not forthcoming, but I don't think it has started. We just ordered about 40k primers from PV and none were on BO. Same with bullets and powder.

It will happen. We do it to ourselves around the elections. Manufactures don't have to increase production to make more money. They just sit back and let us fear a shortage and we start stock piling on reloading components when they become hard to find and are at the highest price.

Rant off...

It has nothing to do with manufactures making more money with increased production. They sell them at the same price to their contracted distributors no matter what the "demand" is. Now if they wanted to fill the demand (if they can) it will cost them more to do use b/c of paying over time and keeping the factory "on" this will in turn force them to raise their prices to make the same % of profit.

• 4 weeks later...

It has nothing to do with manufactures making more money with increased production. They sell them at the same price to their contracted distributors no matter what the "demand" is. Now if they wanted to fill the demand (if they can) it will cost them more to do use b/c of paying over time and keeping the factory "on" this will in turn force them to raise their prices to make the same % of profit.

There are too many factors to say whether a business makes more $ on increased production. How many employees are required in a shift and is there a big enough labor pool to avoid OT pay? Rent is $x.xx whether they run 1 shift or 3. Does the raw materials cost decrease when doubling/tripleing their requirements, leading to quantity discounts?

I just went to a friends house and he has a pallet of SPP in his gun room. I can't see how his giving them at low prices, can make anyone think that there is a primer shortage. I asked him if I should stock up, and he said no, to just come back when I needed some. Gullet guy has bullets, powder guy has powder. IDK, but it seems there is no shortage here.

He's a distributor who sells at matches. He is not maxing out anything.

That would have made more sense in your initial post. roflol.gif

Some would say a pallet for a distributor is not very many!sight.gif