Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Let the primer shortage begin!

Sarge

Hoard/stock up what ever you want to call it, if you run out of anything its your fault. Heck I still have some supplys from pre AWB days and plenty of what I shoot often to last me until the market calms back down from all you guys "panic buys". I was nice enough, back when LGS were raping reloaders with $100/1000 primers, to give fellow shooters enough to get by and they could repay me when prices fell again.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so what is the going rate for primers now--to get them in your hands--$130.00--$140.00 ???

My last order was $24.00 per 1000 and that was the same for Federal Small pistol or large pistol. But then there was the Hazmat fee. So if I max out the order it helps pay for itself.

Winchester and Tula are still out there for the standard price. I don't see any CCI anywhere. My hoarding order arrives today, hopefully it will last. Otherwise I will be fashioning a flintlock conversion for the XDM. If it works out I will be moving over to the dealer forum and getting rich!

please stop this madness mods please delete as many have said we do this to ourselfs.....stop freaking out and hoarding

Run if you must but as a long time dealer I was warned by my distributors in the Jan/Feb time frame to expect long term shortages of reloading components. Hardly sounds like the hoarding generated on this forum had anything to do with that.

If it's real, I'm not seeing it. My local stores are all stocked up and even my small gun club has good prices on Winchester and Federal primers. Like everyone else, I've always got a sleeve or two squirled away, but honestly, it's been years since I've seen the shelves as well stocked as they are right now.

If it's real, I'm not seeing it. My local stores are all stocked up and even my small gun club has good prices on Winchester and Federal primers. Like everyone else, I've always got a sleeve or two squirled away, but honestly, it's been years since I've seen the shelves as well stocked as they are right now.

I'm not seeing it either.

Another thing people need to remember if there ever IS another shortage.

Don't put names out there on the internet of companies you order from! :roflol:

If you start a post and put something like this out there. Never include the names of your suppliers in the same line. It's a self fulfilling prophecy. In other words, if you say there is a primer shortage then 200 people that read the thread and don't respond are immediately going to go to YOUR supplier and order supplies.

I realize people are innocently trying to help, but in a situation like a 'Primer Shortage' it's all about self preservation and every man for himself. :D

Also, it isn't that there is a shortage due to hoarding on a mass scale. It's that the manufacturers can't keep up with demand, and only run certain primers throughout the month.

Edited by roostershooter

I'm not seeing it either.

Another thing people need to remember if there ever IS another shortage.

Don't put names out there on the internet of companies you order from! :roflol:

If you start a post and put something like this out there. Never include the names of your suppliers in the same line. It's a self fulfilling prophecy. In other words, if you say there is a primer shortage then 200 people that read the thread and don't respond are immediately going to go to YOUR supplier and order supplies.

I realize people are innocently trying to help, but in a situation like a 'Primer Shortage' it's all about self preservation and every man for himself. :D

Also, it isn't that there is a shortage due to hoarding on a mass scale. It's that the manufacturers can't keep up with demand, and only run certain primers throughout the month.

Great advice, but remember, PM me with your sources :devil:

Edited by zhunter

The shortages I am seeing are with distributor sources whose website stocking information is limited to dealers.

Strictly speaking of pistol primers some stores in my area are completely out and some have a good stock only because they bought very early in the year. I also suspect a lot of this is regional based on the local demand, in some areas of the country it may be heavy and in others not so much.

In addition the shortages vary from brand to brand, Winchester has been difficult to order for some time while Tula seems to be available but my customers do not want Tula. Magnum primers have not been in short supply while standard are. It all depends on what you are looking for, shelves may be stocked to the roof with rifle primers but if you are looking at empty shelves where the small primers used to be you see a shortage.

Edited by retarmyaviator

Having gone through the Clinton years I learned a few lessons. Those shortages back then were far worse than what we have seen from the Obama administration SO FAR........

I keep a case of 5000 of all four primer sizes stached back in reserve. I never touch the reserve, just buy replacements and rotate stock.

This keeps my anxiety levels pretty low.

Some may consider this hoarding, I consider it as prudent as the three months of food stock I keep in the pantry or the spare tools and medical kit I keep in the truck.

Having gone through the Clinton years I learned a few lessons. Those shortages back then were far worse than what we have seen from the Obama administration SO FAR........

I keep a case of 5000 of all four primer sizes stached back in reserve. I never touch the reserve, just buy replacements and rotate stock.

This keeps my anxiety levels pretty low.

Some may consider this hoarding, I consider it as prudent as the three months of food stock I keep in the pantry or the spare tools and medical kit I keep in the truck.

I don't consider that hoarding. That's simply an insurance policy.