Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will gas prices affect the matches you shoot?

We pretty much carpool to all the matches we go to, even local matches and split gas. The more that goes up the more that hurts but not as bad if split 4 ways. If I can't car pool though, I usually won't go. I just can't afford to drive 3-4 hours by myself and afford the gas.

Truck gets 18 MPG hwy.

100 miles @ $3/gal = $16.6

100 miles @ $4/gal = $22.2

100 miles @ $5/gal = $27.7

1000 miles @ $3/gal = $166

1000 miles @ $4/gal = $222

1000 miles @ $5/gal = $277

So going from $3/gal to $5/gal cost $11 more for 100 miles or $110 more for 1000.

Compared to the other costs skip the dunkin coffee for a week and your good for another match! :cheers:

David E.

We pretty much carpool to all the matches we go to, even local matches and split gas. The more that goes up the more that hurts but not as bad if split 4 ways. If I can't car pool though, I usually won't go. I just can't afford to drive 3-4 hours by myself and afford the gas.

Great idea Corey. Come by and pick me up on the way to Wilmore.ph34r.gif

Truck gets 18 MPG hwy.

100 miles @ $3/gal = $16.6

100 miles @ $4/gal = $22.2

100 miles @ $5/gal = $27.7

1000 miles @ $3/gal = $166

1000 miles @ $4/gal = $222

1000 miles @ $5/gal = $277

So going from $3/gal to $5/gal cost $11 more for 100 miles or $110 more for 1000.

Compared to the other costs skip the dunkin coffee for a week and your good for another match! :cheers:

David E.

That's pretty much my take. I'll be driving slower, and not warming up the car for 10 minutes in the morning, but if I can afford to take a couple of $1500-$3500 guns, a few hundred dollars worth of belt, bag, holster, and misc gear, $100-200 worth of ammo, pay a hotel bill and feed myself on the way to and from the match, and extra few bucks aren't going to stop me. I'll eat at home more and go out less and make up far more than an extra buck or two a gallon. I might even consider borrowing the wife's car for the extra 5 mpg if it's an especially long trip. But miss a match? Not likely.

it wasnt gas prices, but it was the distance. I live in a really gun friendly lots of handguns, state. With nowhere to shoot. I got tired of the 2 hour up 3 hour back trip to the nearest match. Not to mention it was so full you had to reserve a spot a week out.

Sure will. Not so much the local match (9 miles from my house) but the larger (State match) and major (mainland) matches will.

We have to fly to the larger and major matches since we are in the middle of the Pacific Ocean (cost of living in paradise). Just might have to cut costs on accommodations such as hotel rooms and food.

Other option is to work 'special duty' jobs for additional income.

Plus, it's getting close to April 15th :angry2:

The way I look at it the price of gas is going to have to be a $10 a gallon before going to the bar the night before and not shooting is cheaper then not going to the bar and shooting the day! That being said we have a long way to go before I cut back on matches

Carpooling is the way to go especially with 3 or 4 people and a vehicle that gets like 26+mpg

So when you guys carpool, is it a given that its split or do you guys take turns? I carpooled a couple of times, but all i got was a thank you each time.