Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this a "BS" target?

lawboy

I'm just a steel shooter, but, isn't the P in USPSA for "practical"? So the bad guy hides behind a pole and we cry, "foul!"? Our steel shoots regurlarly feature 8" plates with 2" holes in the center. Sometimes the shoot plate is behind the no-shoot hole-in-the-center plate. Nobody cries. We shoot it and have fun... I think the loudest whiners are the guys trying to hold back those who are probably better... Great stage! I'd love to shoot it! Keep up the great work...

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the ideas. We've got a local match Thursday, and I haven't done the stages yet. Hmmmmm.... :devil:

Quite the interesting stage, thanks SkyRock.

Edited by Tizzo

Why the 1 support hand shot at the end?

The rules are a crazy amalgamation of things in this league. Make up shots had to be weak hand.

You might want to check the rules on that one....

JT

Hmmm, found a through the use of props, but nothing else. Anyone?

Edited by JThompson

• 2 weeks later...

The 2007 Area 1 match had a James Bond theme. As such, one of the stages had targets that were painted up to resemble tuxedos. All of the black paint was hardcover. They were neat targets, but a pain to tape. I can only imagine how long it took to prep several dozen of those targets ahead of time. :surprise:

The rules are a crazy amalgamation of things in this league. Make up shots had to be weak hand.

JT

No rule check needed. We aren't sanctioned by USPSA, but we do use the safety rules.

Just for kicks (and maybe if I'm feeling especially evil), what do you guys think of a "hard cover lattice fence."

post-37958-0-38017900-1330578060_thumb.g

25% of the A zone is available. It never says it has to be all in one section.

I know pasting and scoring would be kind of a pain in the ass. I figure if you paste then tape the lines it wouldn't be too bad. Just an extra step and a bunch of tape.

How would you guys shoot something like this? I think if they were far enough that you couldn't clearly see your hits a lot of people would hose them and totally destroy their reload plan by running dry early from makeup shots. I might have to consider taking the time to pick a square and aim 2 good hits in it vs blasting it with 4 rounds and hoping for the best.

Now that's a BS target. Thoughts?

Just for kicks (and maybe if I'm feeling especially evil), what do you guys think of a "hard cover lattice fence."

I'm not sold on that one. Unusual hard cover forces shooters to slow down and aim. The only way to shoot that target is to throw 3-4 rounds at the A zone and hope for the best. Combined with the potential headache of scoring and taping, I don't that one catching on.

BB

This thread made for great reading. The videos were awesome. Seeing the different stage designs is an eye opener for a new shooter like myself. Hell I've never even shot a match but that stripey target wouldn't scare me off! I would think that most new shooters, which I most definitely am, would be excited by creative targets. Part of why I found USPSA so amazing when I first learned of it is because it looks immensely more fun than just plain ol paper targets. The vid Chris Keens posted had some crazy stuff after he opened the door there at the end...

That uber fast spinning and flopping back an forth targets all in the same spot looks scarier than the stripes to me!

JT

No rule check needed. We aren't sanctioned by USPSA, but we do use the safety rules.

If the club/organization is not sanctioned by USPSA then what gives you the right to use our rules. Why not IDPA instead. Or is it something about failure to do right.

JT

If the club/organization is not sanctioned by USPSA then what gives you the right to use our rules. Why not IDPA instead. Or is it something about failure to do right.

<_< It's called Liberty and Fair Use.

These kind of targets just turn the stages into a test of luck verses a test of shooting skill. When using Hit Factor based scoring it does not make sense to take forever and shoot two shots in the A/C scoring zone. Not when you can "Sling" three shots at it at normal shooting speed and hope that two of them will end up in a valid scoring area.

For the people who think these kind of targets are good to use in a match, you need to poll your shooters after the match and see how many really "Liked" it or felt that it was a valid shooting test for our game.

Setup practical shooting challenges that are fun but still test shooting skills. This will make happy shooters who will come back to the next match. Or you can setup unrealistic shooting challenges that test luck more than skill and you will end up with unhappy shooters who may not come back to your match. I will let you decide which direction to steer your club.

JT

When I first read your reply, Leroy, I thought that was a snide remark, but it really wasn't, was it?

I'm a lifetime member of USPSA and a CRO, so I'm familiar with "our" rules. I've never shot an IDPA match (although we did have a stage named, "I Don't Practice Anymore" :rolleyes: ) so I can't make any informed comments about them. I do have some issues with their rules, as I have about USPSA's, too. I'm NOT refering to the safety rules!!!

We aren't a club/organization, but just some folks that want to shoot indoors in the winter (as I'm sure you can appreciate!). Most of us are current USPSA members, and many are IDPA'ers as well.

The matches we run are designed to be safe and fun, and I like throw a curve into them to make them a "learning experience." So far, I've gotten good comments from both experienced and new shooters, alike.

Thanks for asking, and thanks for your service.

Mike

For the people who think these kind of targets are good to use in a match, you need to poll your shooters after the match and see how many really "Liked" it or felt that it was a valid shooting test for our game.

You will also set your reputation as 'that guy' stage designer :sight:

These kind of targets just turn the stages into a test of luck verses a test of shooting skill. When using Hit Factor based scoring it does not make sense to take forever and shoot two shots in the A/C scoring zone. Not when you can "Sling" three shots at it at normal shooting speed and hope that two of them will end up in a valid scoring area.

Setup practical shooting challenges that are fun but still test shooting skills. This will make happy shooters who will come back to the next match. Or you can setup unrealistic shooting challenges that test luck more than skill and you will end up with unhappy shooters who may not come back to your match. I will let you decide which direction to steer your club.

Valid points. That is why I posted here after getting the BS comment. I wanted a broader, more "intellectual" response. I also talked with a lot of shooters at the match about it and people were positive.

I think given the close ranges involved you could quickly aim two good shots but you HAD to do that if you wanted to KNOW where the hits were going to land. Typically, at very close range, people just look over the slide and put two very fast shots into the A zone. With the stripe, even though the range was close, you had to use the sights to verify where the shots would fall. Now, you could do as you suggest and sling a few shots and hope and honestly is a valid strategy for each shooter to evaluate for merit on their own. Part of the test was to see if the shooters could recognize that something different might be required on these close targets than what is required on open close targets, or close targets with an uninterrupted hardcover zone and "open" zone.

I shot this target (single stripe) recently. It didn't present any additional challenge or needed any additional skill. I put the dot on the left side of the A zone instead of the center. It didn't make me slow down or get a better sight picture, it was just a whole lot of meh..

I know pasting and scoring would be kind of a pain in the ass. I figure if you paste then tape the lines it wouldn't be too bad. Just an extra step and a bunch of tape.

How would you guys shoot something like this? I think if they were far enough that you couldn't clearly see your hits a lot of people would hose them and totally destroy their reload plan by running dry early from makeup shots. I might have to consider taking the time to pick a square and aim 2 good hits in it vs blasting it with 4 rounds and hoping for the best.

We use "punch plate" shaker screens in our crushing plant that would give you that exact target presentation...and it's made up of steel that's AR500 or better...I could send you one of our discarded ones, but the shipping might be prohibitive....

Hmmm...I am running the matches this month....

You will also set your reputation as 'that guy' stage designer :sight:

Hmmm...I might be "that guy"... :roflol:

We use "punch plate" shaker screens in our crushing plant that would give you that exact target presentation...and it's made up of steel that's AR500 or better...I could send you one of our discarded ones, but the shipping might be prohibitive....

I think it'd be awesome to have real steel hardcover in that pattern, but at 23 feet that might be really difficult. I think the trick would be to make it a virginia count stage where the mikes and penalties of saying f-it or extras from hosing it would be enough of a deterrent so you have to take the time to thread the needle. I'm the kind of a_-hole that loves to hear that heartbreaking ping sound of real hardcover though.

The 2007 Area 1 match had a James Bond theme. As such, one of the stages had targets that were painted up to resemble tuxedos. All of the black paint was hardcover. They were neat targets, but a pain to tape. I can only imagine how long it took to prep several dozen of those targets ahead of time. :surprise:

Yup, it took some time to make those targets. I think there are still some more leftover in the trailer. The club breaks out every now and then.

The 2010 Northwest section match at a different club had a Looney Tunes theme. One of the stages had skunk stripes on targets in honor of Pepe Le Peu.

No circles and squares please :ph34r: