Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who Makes the Best Steel Targets at the Best Price

mjl

I have been authorized to procure some poppers and a steel plate rack for my club, I am also going to buy a couple Max Traps. I am planning on getting the targets made out of AR500 steel. Any recommendations regarding AR500 or not? Also, what are some recommendations for suppliers. Feel free to PM me. I am looking hard at Action Targets poppers and plate rack - looks like a good design and good price. Am I missing something? Look forward to hearing your experience and recommendations.

Bar none MGM.....

1) The quality of their targets are second to none.

2) MGM's customer service and support after the sale is incredible.

3) Noone....noone supports the sport more than MGM. Not only with match and target support but with the MGM Junior Camp as well.

4) And they're OK folks to boot :cheers:

Their prices may be a little higher, but IMO the value is far superior to other target systems.

Edited by smokshwn

Bar none MGM.....

1) The quality of their targets are second to none.

2) MGM's customer service and support after the sale is incredible.

3) Noone....noone supports the sport more than MGM. Not only with match and target support but with the MGM Junior Camp as well.

4) And they're OK folks to boot :cheers:

Their prices may be a little higher, but IMO the value is far superior to other target systems.

I would agree with all of these things.

Am I missing something?

Well, you could mention where you are. Shipping can be a big factor in cost and if you can find something close to you you might be better off. For example, if you are somewhere in and around Area 8, you might want to contact GT Targets.

Good point Graham. Changed my profile - I am in East Tennessee

Am I missing something?

Well, you could mention where you are. Shipping can be a big factor in cost and if you can find something close to you you might be better off. For example, if you are somewhere in and around Area 8, you might want to contact GT Targets.

Check with Max at www.gunsteel.com (Home of the Max Trap)

He's been making targets for lots of clubs for Local, Area,

and National type match's for years.

If you can't get anything locally, I'll second the motion for Max's stuff. It is quality that I have seen at other major matches several states away.

Go with MGM. Too easy.

+1x100.

MGM has great service and great products. I am slowly trying to build up a collection of MGM steel for my matches. I am ordering the things that are not too big to ship in the mail. So far I have 3 Colt speed plate style auto poppers and 3 standard auto poppers and 7 knock over 6 inch disks. I plan on getting 2 of the auto reset smaller poppers that are on sale this month.

Pat

AR500...yes

Many people have no idea what AR500 stands for, but it is actually not even related to "Armor" at all. It is Abrasion Resistance and it relates to heavy equipment, bascially rocks scraping on the steel of buckets and such. Within the spec of AR500 there are actually different qualities of steel. The resistance to coring, benidng and fracture must be considered. Without getting into a metallurgical discussion, the MGM steel is at the very top of the heap when it comes to the intended application. I've seen AR500 targets with the same thickness and size from other makers fail when the MGM stuff keeps taking hits.

Edited by MarkCO

AR500...yes

Many people have no idea what AR500 stands for, but it is actually not even related to "Armor" at all. It is Abrasion Resistance and it relates to heavy equipment, bascially rocks scraping on the steel of buckets and such. Within the spec of AR500 there are actually different qualities of steel. The resistance to coring, benidng and fracture must be considered. Without getting into a metallurgical discussion, the MGM steel is at the very top of the heap when it comes to the intended application. I've seen AR500 targets with the same thickness and size from other makers fail when the MGM stuff keeps taking hits.

I'll have to look through my big "welcome to becoming a Steel Challenge Club" packet, but IIRC, there are only like 3 sources of AR steel in the whole United States. And again IIRC, the AR400/450/500 title is some designation (probably ASTM) and actually there is a range of abrasive resistance-ness allowed. So a piece of steel might test out to an actual AR375, but it can wear the AR400 label.

Another piece of steel might test out at AR539, but gets the AR500 classification instead.

MGM has serious cred. They earned it.

But in that same vein, I bought my Steel Challenge (full) set from GT Targets and they were awesome to work with.

I suspect either would be a suitable source.

Our club bought 18 mini-poppers from MGM a few years ago -- and they still look virtually new....

Our discipline -- USPSA -- bought ~6 plates from GT Targets, a mix of 6" squares and 8"circles, back in 2003 or 2004, and they're still like new, despite having been shot over and over. On the plates, I really like that Karl welds in a perpendicular support between the splatter shield and the front surface of the plate -- as the splatter shield seems to be what breaks most often on other plate designs.....

I'd go confidently with either or both of these suppliers, depending on your needs....