Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

does anyone shoot a singlestack 45 anymore?

kimberacp

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40s are cheaper, I think 45s run better

I shoot my 45 Better than the 40.. It just feels more comfortable. Less recoil, slower inpulse? Not sure, just feels right

9mm is the other option... just getting one all set to try out

with all the posts on SS 40sw guns, am wondering if anyone shoots a SS 45acp anymore? Am just about to buy some

45 magazines and thinking of just waiting and see if I should build a 40sw SS gun. )

It all depends on what you are going to do with it. For IDPA - CDP - it is the only 1911 you can shoot.... USPSA your choice of .40 or .45.

I still shoot SS in .45 in both USPSA and IDPA because I have them and when I started shooting USPSA the .40 S&W didn't exist and when it came out I didn't want to switch. I shoot a Para P14 in Limited and L10 also because it is easier for me to see .45 holes in distant targets. Like the .40 though. The extra round/s don't do me much good at my age!!!!!!

FWIW

Richard

Edited by chirpy

I started in SS and went with a 45 because it was a round i was familiar with and I knew i could get it to run well. A lot of guys like the 40 as its a bit cheaper and its especially nice if they already are set up to load 40 and can do two division with one caliber.

40 might let you choose... to load 8 and shoot Major power factor, or load 10 and shoot Minor power factor ???

(though...Minor sucks. :) )

yup the system mags with the flex followers will let you do that but your gun better be 100%! :ph34r:

As long as you're staying Major, there is no capacity advantage to 40 S&W in a Single-Stack.

The advantage of 40 (to me) is that it just FEELS faster. The recoil impulse, assuming that we're talking 170 Power Factor loads in both guns, is a little snappier in the 40 and doesn't feel so "lopey".

The 45 also has a little more torque in its recoil impulse than the 40 S&W. When a 230 grain bullet hits rifling and starts to spin, it imparts torque onto the gun and makes it want to twist. A 180 grain 40, spinning closer to its axis, imparts less torque.

I have a 45 load for the 185 grain Nosler JHP that makes the 45 feel a lot like a 40, for those who prefer that feel.

If somebody just GAVE me a 45, I wouldn't feel at a disadvantage (if I wasn't shooting Hardball loads).

I love my .45. I'm not opposed to .40, and if I was going back and forth between lim and ss, I'd be a lot more interested in having one load for both divisions. I had a .40 for a while, but got talked into selling it to some guy from Louisianarolleyes.gif. But I'm 90% SS these days, and I'm set up for .45, so there I am. If I went to .40, I'd have a whole shelf full of safe queens keeping me awake at night.

I'm also pretty fond of the giant holes, the fact that I can run factory ammo if I want, and un-tweaked mags from nearly any manufacturer will run in my gun. I like the recoil of both 200 and 230 gr loads, and the fact that I can run Clays without worrying about pressure spikes. I've also found that .45 is more tolerant of the occasional piece of funky brass than .40.

Latech.

Did not the first John Mos Browning Auto Pistol patented as a .38 very close to todays .38 Super.

During the Colt / Army deal it became 1911 .45 acp as we know it today. Ole John Mos & brothers was interested in making money. And did right well for that era of time.

Have you visited the museum in Utah? GREAT !!!!

Perry