Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

does anyone shoot a singlestack 45 anymore?

kimberacp

I have a 9mm Trojan, a 40 caliber Trojan and a 45 Springer. I have tried them all in Single Stack. I do score up a little better shooting major regardless of 40 or 45. I shoot 200 grain bullets out of my 40 and 230 grain bullets out of my 45 so I recoil wise, I don't notice the difference, but the muzzle of the 40 seems to return to target a little quicker than the 45.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished putting 500 rounds through my ranger 2 in .45, and it is a sweet shooter. I sold my glock 9mm to help fund the purchase, and couldn't be happier. The .45 recoil is more of a push than a snap, if that makes sense. I feel like I can muscle down on the .45 for faster controlled pairs than the 9mm, but maybe that's just perception. I think I always over compensated for the 9mm snap and had to bring sights back on target; with the ranger, I just grip hard and the front comes right back. The bull barrel might help, too. Just my .02 and ymmv, but .45s rock...oh, and 100% reliability during the 500 round break in was icing on the cake!

The bull barrel might help, too.

surprise.gif Appendix D5, item 22.

BB

Yep, D5, Item 22 "Coned barrels, bull barrels, or barrels with flanges, except in 1911 compact pistols with a barrel length of 4.20 inches or less."

Ranger 2 is 4.15in barrel :cheers:

BB

Yep, D5, Item 22 "Coned barrels, bull barrels, or barrels with flanges, except in 1911 compact pistols with a barrel length of 4.20 inches or less."

Missed that bit.

I shoot a SS .45 in both USPSA SS and with 10rd Mags, Limited 10 also CDP in IDPA. I have heard that Shooting .40 may be cheaper however, I've noticed that the .45 in Jacketed are only slightly more per 1000 if you use 185 JHP. If you use 230 RN, ZERO Bullets are $122.00 per 1000 and .40 180gr are 122.30 per 1000. If anyone knows of better prices in jacketed let me know.

BB

Missed that bit.

It's an easy one to miss! I don't think there is too much of a disadvantage to going with a 4.15in barrel vs 5in, and I just happen to like bull barrels. That's one reason I picked up the ranger 2 in the first place; I like all my guns to be double duty. Ranger for carry and could work nicely for SS, and a Tactical 5.0 for limited, home, and actually I carry that sometimes too! Both .45, both sweet. After seeing the holes from a .45, I think it'll be hard to downsize if I ever had to.

I have not started shooting SS yet but I run a Les Baer .45ACP in Limited 10 and LOVE it. I find that although I built a XD Tac9 for Production thinking I would shoot it next year, in reality I cannot bear to leave the .45 at home on match day and the XD is gathering dust. It's a shame too because I sunk over $1k into the XD just to discover that I prefer to shoot my .45. :blush:

Edited by lawboy

I shoot .45 1911's in IDPA - CDP and USPSA - SS. Have for .... 5yrs.

The .45's are the most reliable of all the other calibers, in my experience. The design was/is meant for a .45 230gr RN bullet. Get fancy with the bullet shape (hollow points, SWC) and there can be issues, but gunsmiths have figured out how to make those shapes work well, too. And you don't have to reload all your ammo; store-bought works perfect.

The .40 bullet shape is hard to make reliable in the 1911 format. 9mm is, as well, but there are occasionally some very reliable 9mm 1911's around.

But for self defense, what's more intimidating -- in a pistol -- than staring down the barrel of a .45" hole? :surprise:

Hey, You guys all realize Dave Sevigney is the current SS Division National Champ and he shot a .45 right?

The difference in the .40 v .45 when loaded to major issue is immaterial with regards to actual shoot-ability. It just doesn't matter! If however you are shooting long .40 in your Limited and L10 guns, than having one less round to keep loaded and the fact that it weighs less when shipping or flying it, then you have a real point. Bullets are cheaper also.

I first shot the .40 in the old days to get the extra round in the mags. That is no longer the case due to rules permitting only 8 rnds in the mag if you shoot major.

There are reasons to use either, but speed of shooting is not one of them, not really.

I think I'll try a .45 this year, see what it was Dave knew that I didn't?

Rob

I've been doing lots of analysis on 9mm/.40/.45 in SS and convinced that I personally like the quick snap of my 134pf 9mm and 174pf .40. They both feel great and have a valid purpose. I've shot the gun that won the 2011 SSC side by side with my 9mm and .40 and don't feel that any offer a significant advantage. After a number of practice sessions, local matches and then a recent training day shooting over 750 rounds, I formulated a strategy for 2012.

I'm about 5% faster with the 9mm than the .40 and have similar hits. So, if I'm running smoothly, it's about a wash. It really comes down to the match dynamics. If there are tons of steel or I anticipate make-up shots, shooting minor makes much more sense. If there are lots of long/tight shots and I anticipate a few more C's and D's in the match, I'm going to shoot it Major. I'm planning on declaring PF before first shot fired except at SSC which is clearly setup for major.

If I had a press setup for large primers, I'd give .45 a close look because with the load that Braxton1 built up, it would give the same snappy response and make bigger holes. Bottom line, I think it's personal preference. Take the time to get to know your own style, strengths and weaknesses as well as the intangibles that give you confidence. No matter what, it's the hard work and not the gear that makes the difference.

Hey, You guys all realize Dave Sevigney is the current SS Division National Champ and he shot a .45 right?

The difference in the .40 v .45 when loaded to major issue is immaterial with regards to actual shoot-ability. It just doesn't matter! If however you are shooting long .40 in your Limited and L10 guns, than having one less round to keep loaded and the fact that it weighs less when shipping or flying it, then you have a real point. Bullets are cheaper also.

I first shot the .40 in the old days to get the extra round in the mags. That is no longer the case due to rules permitting only 8 rnds in the mag if you shoot major.

There are reasons to use either, but speed of shooting is not one of them, not really.

I think I'll try a .45 this year, see what it was Dave knew that I didn't?

Rob

Thanks

I'm going to be shooting a .45 at the SS Nationals this year. I don't have a .40 at all and mostly shoot .38 Super so it's not a big deal to me to shoot .45....though I wish someone like Springfield would make something like the RO in .38 super and I might be tempted to shoot that...wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I'm saying?

I started in USPSA competition last year w/ SS .45 in major, I learned the value of planning mag drops in stages and efficiency in movement on mag changes, then I had a chance to get a STI Edge in .40 for a ridiculous price, I tried Limited and loved the Edge and .40 in Major and got spoiled, I do like runnning the hicap 2011 in .180 JHP and makes me feel quicker overall and free to shoot away without as much round count tracking, although most of my Class wins came in Limited with the .40 and its what I shot at A2, I still shoot my SS in our weekly matches running Zero or Montana JHP 230's and they run great, I agree the .40 in major seems to snap and recover a little quicker, and the .45 is a different torque / impulse that I have no trouble recovering from either, and I have done well with the .45 also and its still my first love at the loader. I entered the WSSSC to have some fun there in a few weeks, it will be an awesome event.

.45 SS oh yea!!, .40 for Limited you bet! ........SS 9mm..uh..not so much.(although theres nothing wrong with that) :rolleyes: