Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the best once fired 9mm brass?

mizer67

I bought a bunch of 9mm brass from Fireant. It was mostly PMC brass. I use an undersized sizing die and that stuff sized smoother than anything I can remember. I just chamber checked 500 rounds with a Dillon gage and I had less than 10 rejects which is pretty exceptional in my experience. I'm interested to see how the SD numbers compare to my usual batch of mixed brass. So far I've been really impressed with this PMC stuff.

I no longer use picked up 9MM range brass, I have watched too many 9Major shooters who shoot it and leave it lay. They don't want it even if someelse picks it up for them. I have even done the same thing with a brand I no longer want to use because I only have 5-600 of. Next spring I have 1000 or more to give to a Production at the local club because I am switching to Open 40.

Let me re-phrase my question, if you were shooting for 50 yard accuracy, and couldn't use a new case, which once fired brass would you pick?

Would you pick the same case for durability?

I never shoot 50 yards but I think that the bullet and the load you choose would be more of an issue than the case.

Let me re-phrase my question, if you were shooting for 50 yard accuracy, and couldn't use a new case, which once fired brass would you pick?

Would you pick the same case for durability?

I never shoot 50 yards but I think that the bullet and the load you choose would be more of an issue than the case.

That's my opinion too.

If you want extra consistency, supposedly once fired same brand cases, preferably from the same lot of ammunition, might be more consistent, if you already had the specific load tuned to your gun, and had superbly consistent reloading technique. Any of the major brands will do.

In our game (IPSC/IDPA/SS), if you can consistently get the shots into a six inch circle at 50 yards, the load will do the job 99% of the time.

I have recently loaded up just over 3500 rounds of 9mm on my 650 using all range pick ups. I save PMC, Fed, R-P, RWS, Speer, Top Brass, CCI, Win...I have had no issues so far with anything and I gauge all my reloads in a EGW block. I have had very few not gauge in the EGW but that have all gauged when I try them in my Dillon gauge. They have run frine thru my factory Glock barrels.

I throw all other "off brands" in the scrap bucket to recycle i.e. Geco, S&B, NT marked brass

OP: Let me re-phrase my question, if you were shooting for 50 yard accuracy, and couldn't use a new case, which once fired brass would you pick?

If you want accuracy at 50 yds, measure all your cases and separate all that are 0.750" or longer. These will, almost always, be the most accurate (minimize head space).

I use Starline for new cases if I feel spendy, but what's the "best" brass that's available once fired?

All my reloading is done to fit within my budget. So I am a major proponent of S&S's once shot brass. No particular headstamp assocation BUT it sure is affordable and cleans up nice.

for all the winchester fans out there. How long do the primer pockets stay tight? I load on a 1050 and it seems that if i ever have primers that don't seat it's a winchester case. Most all my brass is run thru a fullauto uzi or my millinium custom 6" 1320fps 124gr bullets. just curious

I no longer use picked up 9MM range brass, I have watched too many 9Major shooters who shoot it and leave it lay. They don't want it even if someelse picks it up for them. I have even done the same thing with a brand I no longer want to use because I only have 5-600 of. Next spring I have 1000 or more to give to a Production at the local club because I am switching to Open 40.

I realize that 9mm major brass has a limited life, but I don't believe that thinking the brass is bad once it's been shot is the reason that many shooters leave it lay. I think it's because it's cheap and plentiful. I shot a Steel Challenge match yesterday and most of the 9mm shooters weren't picking up brass.

For our 9's I've always had a preference for WIN brass. It's always been really consistent for me.

How big is the difference between "WIN" marked white box brass and the new stock "WINCHESTER" marked brass?

I've used quite a few different Winchester headstamps and it seems to be extremely consistent from type to type, but especially so within the same headstamp. I've purchased quite a bit of once fired WIN brass and always been happy with it. Honestly for most types of shooting some of us probably obsess too much over brass.

Hello: Free brass is the best. The longest lasting is Mil spec brass with the crimped primer pocket. The alloy of the brass seems stronger to me. Winchester brass for 9mm major seems to last about 6 reloads. Some of the other brass is lasting a little longer. Blazer brass lasts about 4 reloads in major. I have not used Starline in 9mm. For minor loads I use any brass and have not had any problems at all. The Case Pro I think makes the brass last a little longer since it does not shorten the overall length like the sizing dies do. I would start collecting brass now. Thanks, Eric