Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the best once fired 9mm brass?

mizer67

I no longer use picked up 9MM range brass, I have watched too many 9Major shooters who shoot it and leave it lay. They don't want it even if someelse picks it up for them. I have even done the same thing with a brand I no longer want to use because I only have 5-600 of. Next spring I have 1000 or more to give to a Production at the local club because I am switching to Open 40.

A better way to state this position for me is, I will reload my 9 major brass..., if somebody else picks it up and gives it to me.

I realize that 9mm major brass has a limited life, but I don't believe that thinking the brass is bad once it's been shot is the reason that many shooters leave it lay. I think it's because it's cheap and plentiful. I shot a Steel Challenge match yesterday and most of the 9mm shooters weren't picking up brass.

For our 9's I've always had a preference for WIN brass. It's always been really consistent for me.

I guess I'm not the only one. I prefer WIN as well but have had no issues with RP brass either. Starline is just as nice. Speer is nice but seems to have looser primer pockets than the rest, but it works just fine for minor.

• 1 month later...

I frequent a local indoor gun range where everyone leaves their shinny once fired brass laying all over the floor, then it becomes mine! its a mixed bag, but mostly WIN since thats what they sell for the range shooters. Its free and its mine! plus I follow the shooters at our fun match at my club, brass heaven! I'll use any brand.

I prefer Winchester, but Federal works fine. Not a big fan of CCI/Speer as I have had to many primer pocket problems. I really don't like S&B as I have run into metal cases that were copper clad. I routinely cull them and throw them in the scrap bucket. I think for pure accuracy you would want all cases from a particular lot, to eliminate as many variables as possible. As to those 50 yard targets, they seem much farther away than they did 25 years ago. :surprise:

Minor loads only.

I really like Speer and Blazer brass for the first 3-5 loads, always seem to loose it after that many loads, not very common brass where I am at. Otherwise - Win - 6-10 loads per, easy, before I loose that brass too.

Never had isues with S&B brass brass, I never reload steel or alloy cases (duh, some of you may be very surprized, but I encountered some ppl who even re-use unburned powder off indoor range's floor).

Just DON'T treat your brass with chemicals, like vinegar and so on.

Edited by CeeZer