Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15.com Rockcastle Pro Am Aug 24-26 2012

I'll shoot the clays and then move on to the steel. I might try to load one between each clay, but two seconds is going to be a lot faster than you think. I think the fast way to do it would be shoot a clay then steel then load one and repeat, but I'm not good at flying clays.....so I won't. ;)

Edit- You never know, Kurt may have this set up for a bunch of doubles just to lure people into a horrible trap! Hard to say until you see it in person.

Edited by assaulter

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sight unseen, my plan is load 2, shoot 2, repeat until I've loaded 18 (18+9=27, 1 extra) edit to fix the math.

I will be trying to maintain a load 2, 1 steel, 1 clay sequence and skip the steel if needed and when going from box to box.

With 10 seconds per miss, even with the scoring system used, I think this stage is a game/match changer.

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

Sight unseen, my plan is load 2, shoot 2, repeat until I've loaded 18 (18+9=17, 1 extra)

I will be trying to maintain a load 2, 1 steel, 1 clay sequence and skip the steel if needed and when going from box to box.

With 10 seconds per miss, even with the scoring system used, I think this stage is a game/match changer.

David E.

David,

Is that new math?

A buddy and I practiced some aerial targets the other day with basically the same strategy as David suggested. If you're using 4 round caddies, grabbing ONLY two shells can be a bit tricky, about half the time I found myself shooting a bird with one shell still in my hand from grabbing three. It will be interesting to see what the top times on this stage will be. Can it really be done in 20? I'll be thrilled with a total time less than 40.

David,

Is that new math?

Why yes it is, I meant 27 not 17.

Starting with 9 in the gun, load 18 while shooting the 10 birds and some steel, goal is not to go dry.

16 steel and 10 clays for 26 total targets, 9+18=27 so I will have 1 shell left over.

Man this is going to be really hard since I can't count, add, or subtract much less hit birds in the air!

David E.

Hey guys,

I can't see where the clays have a 10 second penalty.

Is there more info on the stages somewhere?

Thanks

They are assuming a 10 second miss penalty like most of the other targets last year I'm betting. IS there a penalty for missing these flying (and maybe disappearing) targets?!? might change up the planning a bit....

From the official rules.

Frangible targets must break to score. (One BB hole is a break.)

I would say it being a disappearing target USPSA style is only a pipe dream, at Gary's club matches there is no such provision for disappearing targets.

Really if you game this sucker out, unless you're trying to win the match, you might be better off just shooting the clays and then waiting to get all the steel after. Lets say by just sitting there you can go 1 for 1 on the clays and break all 10. Versus shooting faster and picking up some of the steel and missing 2-3 clays or messing up your load plan etc.

I know I'm gonna go all out and try to get most of the steel in between the birds, but if you know you can get all 10 by waiting on them it is a valid strategy. Better to finish clean than crash and burn.

Hey guys,

I can't see where the clays have a 10 second penalty.

Is there more info on the stages somewhere?

From the rules:

Frangible targets must break to score. (One BB hole is a break.)

Engaging a frangible, knock-down or swinging style target by firing at least one round at it but not breaking it, knocking it down or causing the target to react will result in a 10 second miss penalty per target.

A frangible, knock down or swinging style target which is not engaged by firing at least one round at it will receive a 5 second penalty for a Target Not Engaged (TNE) procedural per target added to time, in addition to the miss penalty time.

So from what we know; stage brief and rules, 10 secs for a miss and if you fail to engage add another 5 secs.

No mention of disappearing targets in the rules.

Maybe shooting the 10 clays first is a better idea.

David E.

Like I said, game/match changer.

Edited by Nuke8401

My opinion, so take it for what its worth. I personally think flying clays should only be a 5 second penalty. No way to confirm if you actually hit it. That being said, not sure what Gary's take is on it.

Actually flying clays are much easier to call than flipping clays, if I'm not mistaken they even use them on an Olympic sport!!!!!

And I'm sure we'll take necessary steps to ensure consistency in calling those hits so just worry about hitting them

Trapr

Maybe the clays could be sealed with a clear epoxy of some sort such that they don't break apart when they hit the ground struck by shot. Then they could be inspected for that one BB hole ?????

:bow:

That sounds like a herculean task.

Epoxy 10 clays x how many hundred shooters?

This stage looks like FUN! 2 seconds is just enough time to get me into trouble.......

Edited by Vespid_Wasp

Actually flying clays are much easier to call than flipping clays, if I'm not mistaken they even use them on an Olympic sport!!!!!

And I'm sure we'll take necessary steps to ensure consistency in calling those hits so just worry about hitting them

Trapr

Its a lot easier to call a hit on a flying "Spinning" target than a flipper. But thats the only thing a clays 'Referrer' has to look at

I understand there was something like 50 walls made in the last 2 1/2 days for the match, Gary is building steam up, you guys better practice, because Gary's twisted mind will have all the stages tweeked for no gaming, for the ones who have never shot one of his matches is in for a treat, :D

I understand there was something like 50 walls made in the last 2 1/2 days for the match, Gary is building steam up, you guys better practice, because Gary's twisted mind will have all the stages tweeked for no gaming, for the ones who have never shot one of his matches is in for a treat, :D

Yeah, those D#&$ walls... :devil:

Gary is the king of making a stage look deceivingly simple on paper and devilishly tricky when you see the real thing. There is always one more target hiding just around the corner or behind the edge of a wall.

This is going to be a LARGE time. I think I'll go practice and then start packing :D

Edited by GunCat

START POSITION: Standing behind charge line with loaded shotgun at low ready
Engage aerial clays from anywhere behind charge line.

Where is the "charge Line"? Are the shooting boxes behind the charge line?

I'm going to have plenty to do just hitting 1 clay every 2 seconds and leaving the "charge line" with a full gun (10+1 or 12+1, depending on the size of the car in the other stage) much less shooting some steel in between clays and loading.

Now if the boxes are behind the charge line, well then it's going to be real fun. And I would expect the real Pros to all have the same time; 20ish seconds.

David E.

The charge line will be along the front lines of the shootings boxes. It will be possible to engage the clays from the boxes or while moving between the boxes.

okay, time for my dumb question. being a true 1st open shooter, i know a bipod is legal, but does it have to stay on the gun for the whole match or as needed?

Thanks!

Are coupled mags allowed in Tac Optics?

From the rules:

Tac Optics Class

Rifle supporting devices (i.e. bipods, etc.) are not allowed in this class.

Or are couple mags considered supporting devices?

I searched this thread but could not find an answer.

David E.