Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom Guns

blue edge

I voted for straight out of the box. Mine has not malfunctioned one time that was the fault of the gun or builder(CCGunworks).

Have had one mag related issue and one stoppage when I tried to shoot it from a rolled up towel rest.

Oh yeah, there was the time I tried to run my minor powderpuff loads through it and it wouldn't cycle.

So yeah, straight out of the box is possible.

Most of mine have run 100 percent 'out of the box' but is that because the builder already put a few hundred rounds through them and which load/bullet was used? I don't remember asking the question and maybe some of the builders on the site will comment on the 'break-in' specifics/procedure they use. That being said I would not be suprised if a custom gun needed additional rounds fired to run 100 percent.

Mine have ran out of the box, but I wouldn't be shocked if they needed a few hundred rounds to get broken in. Most custom builders can't afford to test fire more than 2 mags of ammo, so that isn't a significant amount of rounds... In other words, if they fire 40 rounds w/o a failure, most would call it good...

Edited by SV-COP

voted for running straight out of the box. for the amount of money a custom gun cost it had better run 100% out of the box, but I know thats not the case. been lucky so far I guess; custom Open gun ran 100% for the first few thousand rounds; the few malfunctions in my semi-custom Limited gun were mag/ammo related

Most of my custom pistols have worked out of the box. If I received a pistol with a very tight slide to frame fit that led to short-stroking malfs, I wouldn't mind that issue for the first ~1000 rounds or so.

So it's OK for a major manufacture to state their pistols have a 500 round break in period, but not OK for a hand fit custom to possibly need one?

2011's are kind of a special circumstance because of the fickle nature of the magazines. The gunsmith may have his own personal magazine that he KNOWS works, uses it to test his guns, sends gun to customer who uses mags that may or may not work, customer has issues with it, never gives 'smith a chance to resolve issue (real or not), slams gunsmith on every forum he has access too. It's a story I've heard many times. It's even better when the story involves a FREE prize table gun. I look at guns like cars. Every once in a while a lemon sneaks off the line, it's what the builder does after the sale that matters to me.

The gun should run, out of the box, but if there is an issue and the builder takes care of it it should not be a black eye.

I've had to tune guns to run a very specific type of ammo. If I had not known ahead of time about the ammo, there is a good chance they would not have run very well, or would have had a very short life span.

Just food for thought.

Every once in a while a lemon sneaks off the line, it's what the builder does after the sale that matters to me.

AMEN - This is much more important to me than a break in period. I have worked with gunsmiths before who I realized very shortly that I couldn't trust. A guy that you can trust and that you know will work with you is the most important thing.

Dan Bedell and Tony Pignato were exactly that for me. Those two guys are stand up individuals and they provided me a gun that runs 100%. They are also both available most any time to talk to and ask questions of. I can't recommend them highly enough.

I would expect a production gun to require a break in period more than a custom - here's why. They make all of the frames and all of the slides and all of the internals separately. They don't go together til the very end. Each slide must fit each frame and every sear and disconnector much fit every other frame. This couldn't happen reliably without some slop engineered into the design. With a custom build, each part is hand fitted to the others. They are all sized to work with each other perfectly. Since this is the case, they should work perfectly. The only reason that they wouldn't is if some of that fitting was done improperly or not tests fully to ensure that the work is completed.

The other problem that Shaun alluded to was that of the mags and ammo. That is the biggest variable in a gun's running or not running, and no smith can guarantee that his gun will run with any old ammo that joe bob throws together in his basement. Feed it good ammo in good mags and it ought to work. If not, the smith needs to be a stand up guy and work with you. Mine is.

Edited by latech15

depends on how much you bugged the gunsmith to the gun before it was ready to be shipped. and what kind of ammo and mags you are running in it.

Have seen people run absolute crap through a new gun and can't figure why the gun won't run.

depends on how much you bugged the gunsmith to the gun before it was ready to be shipped. and what kind of ammo and mags you are running in it.

Have seen people run absolute crap through a new gun and can't figure why the gun won't run.

kinda common sense to me ... if you can afford a custom pistol; who would in their right mind run some tula ammo in their 3k to 4k pistol ???

I have a few custom guns. It has never bothered me that they did not run 100% "out of the box." I never expected them to run that way.

My gunsmith stands behind his product. I have never had him question or complain, in fact he is usually apologizes. It has rarely taken more than 1 tweak to bring the gun to perfection.

I look upon it like any other finely tuned mechanical device. Lots of parts with very fine tolerances.

Race cars rarely run perfectly right out of the shop, they usually require more work after they have run a bit.

If you want it running out of a box, buy a Glock and save yourself $4,500.

Edited by pjb45

Heck I use to shoot skeet and there were guys who would shoot ammo with the crimp buldging, spilling shot, hulls splitting or burnt that they had to shove in the chamber after say 15+ loadings and shoving them in a 10K+ dollar Krieghoff lol.

Several years ago, I was at a club and a guy was shooting what appeared to be surplus 45 ball ammo straight from the can out of a wilson combat pistol.

I bought a Les Baer TRS full size for $1500 and it has been flawless right out of the box with all kinds of cheap to expensive ammo. Fitting is still very tight. On one trip to the range, I shot 600+ rounds with no problems. A custom gun should run, or you may as well buy a Llama!

So it's OK for a major manufacture to state their pistols have a 500 round break in period, but not OK for a hand fit custom to possibly need one?

2011's are kind of a special circumstance because of the fickle nature of the magazines. The gunsmith may have his own personal magazine that he KNOWS works, uses it to test his guns, sends gun to customer who uses mags that may or may not work, customer has issues with it, never gives 'smith a chance to resolve issue (real or not), slams gunsmith on every forum he has access too. It's a story I've heard many times. It's even better when the story involves a FREE prize table gun. I look at guns like cars. Every once in a while a lemon sneaks off the line, it's what the builder does after the sale that matters to me.

The gun should run, out of the box, but if there is an issue and the builder takes care of it it should not be a black eye.

I've had to tune guns to run a very specific type of ammo. If I had not known ahead of time about the ammo, there is a good chance they would not have run very well, or would have had a very short life span.

Just food for thought.

Could NOT of said it better my self.......... :cheers:

Both factory pistols and custom pistols should run RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX, especially considering what we pay for them.

The status quo that a 1800 factory or a 2800 custom gun still needing fine tuning is absurd...that is NOT ok.

That should all be worked out by the builder or the factory BEFORE the customer every gets the gun, period.

If it isn't running, it isn't done. Don't sell a pistol that doesn't run.

At a race engine shop I help/work at, that engine is not released until it is has been built and tuned.

The same goes for 2011 magazines. Higher tolerances during fabrication would prevent so many issues.

I am new to the 2011 platform, and boy do I love the guns, but the whole "you paid $xxxxx.xx but it still needs work" is just crap. Utter crap.

I kinda agree with JaeOne on this one...

If We're talk springfield, hk, colt, cz, or glock... The 500 rounds break is fine because of the mass production. It is true a lemon could have fallen thru the cracks.

But, with a builder (custom build); your not getting a mass produce item and you didnt pay mass production pricing... The price your paying for; is for that builder to take his time and give your build his attention and pour his heart and soul on each of his builds... Like Jaeone, at the shop he works @ you would expect perfection if you contract him to do a custom build, not one of those generic builds...

Imagine if we were talking swords or katanas... The aahhh it'll start cutting better or it'll be solid after the first 500 swings or slashes doesnt work. The sword smithing is the same here with our pistols. Gunsmithing and sword smithing is art form and thats what your paying a builder for... His mastery of said art.

Every builder should make sure his product if perfect when it leaves his shop. At the price we pay, it doesnt cost alot to make sure the pistol cycles before it is sent off to the customer...

ps theres differences here I think that causes mis-communication...

heres what I think:

SV Infinity = Semi Custom ( because their volume)

STI = Mass Produce

Limcat = Almost custom (because of his volume)

Custom = calling up *put your builders name here* contracting them to do a custom build for you ...

Edited by RippSpeed