Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Popular AR bullets

latech15

When I started loading for my 45 a few years ago I bought the high priced stuff from midway until I figured out about moly coated stuff. I figured I should talk to the experts before I buy the high dollar stuff for rifle.

I plan to get a 3G1 an shoot 3 gun down te road a bit. I also plan to take the gun prairie dog hunting as a backup. I don't mind getting the good stuff for the long range work though.

I just got into 3-gun and I've been shooting up my p-dog loads, cheap MidSouth varmint extreme 55gr HP's they feed well and I don't have to change when I go out to 300 yards loading with RL-15 powder so I'm probably the oddball of the bunch LOL LAter,

Kirk

Is anyone shooting Montana Gold 55gr? I can get them locally so I'm wondering if they shoot good out to 300 yards?

Yes, I shoot the MG 55 gr. inside 250 yards. Further out Hornady 68 gr. BTHP. The MG are plenty accurate just the lighter bullets drift a little more if there's wind and don't hit the steel quite as hard at range.

Nosler 52 gr C.C. for everything. I tried the MG 55's, and my gun does not like them, I tried the new HP 55's from MG as well, but they are a flat bottom and I find them too hard to load. I used to use the SMK 69's, they work well, but I like the Noslers better. It does not matter that much in my opinion, just find a bullet that you and your gun both like.

Cheers!

55 gr hornady fmj over h335 for anything 200yds and under. After that I start using Hornaday's new 53gr V-Max. With it's .290 BC it's flatter and faster than the 60gr V-max and still has more energy out to even 500yds. I havn't done extensive testing with them, but they worked great for me at the Multi-Gun Nationals 375yd targets this year.

55 gr hornady fmj over h335 for anything 200yds and under. After that I start using Hornaday's new 53gr V-Max. With it's .290 BC it's flatter and faster than the 60gr V-max and still has more energy out to even 500yds. I havn't done extensive testing with them, but they worked great for me at the Multi-Gun Nationals 375yd targets this year.

What is your load data for the 53 grian V max.

Pat

What is your load data for the 53 grian V max.

Pat

I loaded the 53s for the magazine at 2.250" worked up the load with H335, can't remember the charge right now, between 25 and 26gr but I was getting 3140 fps from my 18" barrel. Loaded just to where I could see the edge of the winchester SR primer start to flatten, but definitly no cratering, flow, or extreme flattening. I could probably have pushed it faster at the risk of a hotter round, but I wasn't sure what it would have done in NV and I was working it up last minute.

Edited by MustangGreg66

Hornady 75's, plenty accurate and puts steel DOWN.

I have not had good luck with these bullets. I have tried because their price is nice compared to Sierra but they have only been 1.6 to 2 moa for me.

While Sierra's have been .95 to 1.6 moa. The Noslers I just started trying are right in the middle at 1.30.

Pat

I currently use Prvi 55's for close.

Prvi 75's, Hornady 75's and Nosler 77 CC for farther targets.

Wideners has a good price for Hornady 55's. They are supposed to go up in price significantly in 2012. I would get the Hornady's but I already have 5K of the Prvi 55's on hand.

Wideners also has WCC844 in 8lb jugs for $85. At the very least, good for close range loads.