Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats the point of "Tri-Topping"

blairmckenzie1

It reduces reciprocating mass, which affects perceived recoil. Yeah, the gun still has a certain mass that a given cartridge will shove around the same as another gun the same mass, but it doesn't necessarily seem as torquey if that mass isn't cramming over top of your grip.

Also you can get a higher maximum cyclical rate, but I don't know if that realistically matters.

IMO the 3 previous answer pretty well covers it all...

I had Benny do my 2011 IDPA 9mm to keep the cyclic speed nice and quick. After shooting major PF with the .40 & .45 the 9 with a full weight slide seems (to me) to just lumber along. I like em a little snappy.

Hello: The tri-topping also reduces the wind resistance when you are running cutting down a couple of seconds per stage :roflol: Thanks, Eric

Don't forget the decreased wind resistance on the draw as well.

if you draw fast enough, you can actually hear a sucking sound as air fills the temporary void of molecules

Edited by eerw

I'm continually amazed that some people can actually feel such minute differences in cyclic rates / recoil. :wacko: With my hands thankfully it's an upgrade I don't need to invest in. :goof: Leaves more $$ for practice ammo which really DOES help me.

It reduces reciprocating mass, which affects perceived recoil. Yeah, the gun still has a certain mass that a given cartridge will shove around the same as another gun the same mass, but it doesn't necessarily seem as torquey if that mass isn't cramming over top of your grip.

Also you can get a higher maximum cyclical rate, but I don't know if that realistically matters.

I'm tagging on to this answer. Tri-top is basically to reduce weight of the slide. All of my open guns have very light slides. If you recall EMC square the mass times velocity thing a lighter slide with the same force appliced will accelarate faster and at a faster speed hit with the same force, that is why you need to bump the spring rate up. It takes more comp with a light slide to slow it down, that is what comps do along with some down force.

The net effect is the gun is lighter, which in the open gun works for me and I can drive it faster from target to target. I know work out at the gym and you will be even faster.

In a limited gun I've tried both full weight Edge and an SVI and a Brazos wth the lightened slide. I found out I like the heavy Berthbutt Edge the best and the timer tells the story I'm faster with the heavy slide.

The average brain is not capable of tracking the speed of a slide cycle, and I defy one of these cycle speed nuts to say they pull the trigger and the slide has not returned yet. Its a different feel but that is about it. So shoot a heavy one then a light one and figure out which suits you best.

Edited by CocoBolo

Hello: If you octo-top the slide it makes it too light and wants to fly out of the holster causing all sorts of problems :roflol: Oh maybe that's heli-top the slide--my bad :devil: Thanks, Eric

SV has that as an option

I don't think so - but they have a seven side profile. You need an odd number of sides to have the flat part of one on the top of the slide.

Hello: If you octo-top the slide it makes it too light and wants to fly out of the holster causing all sorts of problems :roflol: Oh maybe that's heli-top the slide--my bad :devil: Thanks, Eric

SV has that as an option

I don't think so - but they have a seven side profile. You need an odd number of sides to have the flat part of one on the top of the slide.

Mikes octopus is an amputee, don't hate...lol

• 4 weeks later...

Tri-Top or Flat-Top when checkered (straight lines along the flat top) reduces/eliminates the glare off the barrel especially on stainless or hard chromed slides. Allows the FO front sight to be a little brighter (more contrast).

Rob,

Of all people, do I really have to remind you that with SV and a little $$, everything is an option? C'mon now. You know how that works. Just tell Sandy Strayer that something can't be done and see what he comes up with. You are the one that did order the pink fuzzy bunny slippers to go with the new pink bunny logo laser etched into your new Signature Grip, right? Or is that just a viscous rumor? Or were you up in the showroom last week trying to find a way to justify taking home the Titanium Pistol? Just saying I heard whispers about ya..........

• 1 month later...

I have heard that lightening the slide with tri topping or by other means, can actually help reduce muzzle flip, and help bring your front sight back on target faster, which would be noticeable. My logic is that if you have the mass of the slide coming back and impacting the frame at the end of the cycle, a lighter slide would have less force and therefore make the muzzle flip less. Also, a faster cycle time could allow for less time for the force to be pushing back on the frame of the gun also decreasing muzzle flip. So, ideally a heavy frame with full length dust cover and heavy barrel with a lightened slide would be the ideal soft recoiling combination.

Have people heard or experienced this???

Another reason is, some people like to put slide serrations on top (to cut down on reflection/glare) and it makes it easier to serrate the top when it's flat.