Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best budget 1911

countryboy223

The Spartan is a Philippine-made gun with an STI hammer, sear, disconnector, trigger, and adjustable rear sight.

Well....close.

Actually - and I have this straight from STI while researching several articles on the Spartan - the slide, frame and barrel are produced in the Philippines by Armscor. Every other part on the gun is produced by STI, with the exception of the Italian LPA rear sight. The parts are sent to Armscor which builds the guns, after which they are shipped to STI in Texas. At that time they are turned over to STI's quality control people. If there is a problem with a gun, typically it's easier for STI to deal with it in-house rather than ship it back to Armscor. A gun very rarely goes back to the Philippines once it's here.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up a Range Officer and am happy with it. The only things I want to change is the thumb safty, I just like a ambi safty and I want my front strap checkered, other than that a trigger job and I will be happy. Around here (NE Okla.) they sell for $750.00-$800.00. The gun shoots better than I can. If I had both the RO and the Spartan in front of me I dont know wich I would pick. Guess I would just have to handle both and drive the counter guy crazy for an hour or so till I made a choice.

RIA tactical. send it to a smith and let them do their magic. for $900 you will have a gun that rivals $3000 customs. there is a target version too.

just curious... hope the op will not mind. What kind of work will you have done with a RIA Tac base?

Thanks!

Dehorn slide and frame, remove tangs + polish, radius, fit all new replacement parts

Flat top, serrate, 25LPI checkering front strap, undercut, SQUARED trigger guard $100 for checkering and trigger guard

F/0 front sight, Novak rear $40. already had the Novak

EGW trigger group (koenig hammer, EGW sear, disconnector, colt sear spring polished, fitted and crisp at just shy of #2. w titanium strut $140 + $60 labor

blend and tack ed brown beavertail. $40

machine and hand lapp Slide to frame fit.

Fit EGW bushing $15

lighter springs. already had

S&A Stainless Checkered mainspring Housing & magwell. already had

Aftec, Already had.

SV trigger bow/insert $50

Ed Brown hardcore slidestop. $45

11 piece pin set $15

I have a little more than I projected. it might still go for hard chrome once broken in.

JL

Some of the stuff I already had and did. some I left to my local go to guy.

I have some amazing custom shop 1911's and my RIA that "I" built is by far my favorite. maybe I am biased.

I think the Range Officer should also have forward cocking serrations.

My first competition gun was a Taurus PT 1911. It runs great and is a tack driver. Some may consider it a piece of junk, but mine was a very good shooting gun.

my 2 cents.

I have both SA A1 and STI Trojan. I LOVE my SA. But I am jaded by time, have had it since 2001. It has been shade treed over the years: wilson barrel bushing, magwel, mainspring housing, trigger job, extractor, springs, sights, etc. It is beat up and at times didn't function properly but once it was fixed, I just love shooting the thing. Very accurate.

Purchased my Trojan from Dawson (Cant say enough good things about Dave Dawson and the people there, wouldn't purchase an STI from anyone else) with the Dawson fiber front sight. The gun is top notch, and to be honest, shoots better than my SA. It doesn't feel as good, however my SA has about 30,000 rounds through it so i guess it is truly broken in. Out of the box for 1000$, the Trojan is a better pistol in the accuracy and function department. Will never get rid of my SA though.

IMO If you want the best gun to shoot competitively, get the Trojan. If you want the labor of love that you will give to your son one day, get the SA.

RIA tactical. send it to a smith and let them do their magic. for $900 you will have a gun that rivals $3000 customs. there is a target version too.

just curious... hope the op will not mind. What kind of work will you have done with a RIA Tac base?

Thanks!

Dehorn slide and frame, remove tangs + polish, radius, fit all new replacement parts

Flat top, serrate, 25LPI checkering front strap, undercut, SQUARED trigger guard $100 for checkering and trigger guard

F/0 front sight, Novak rear $40. already had the Novak

EGW trigger group (koenig hammer, EGW sear, disconnector, colt sear spring polished, fitted and crisp at just shy of #2. w titanium strut $140 + $60 labor

blend and tack ed brown beavertail. $40

machine and hand lapp Slide to frame fit.

Fit EGW bushing $15

lighter springs. already had

S&A Stainless Checkered mainspring Housing & magwell. already had

Aftec, Already had.

SV trigger bow/insert $50

Ed Brown hardcore slidestop. $45

11 piece pin set $15

I have a little more than I projected. it might still go for hard chrome once broken in.

JL

Some of the stuff I already had and did. some I left to my local go to guy.

I have some amazing custom shop 1911's and my RIA that "I" built is by far my favorite. maybe I am biased.

Thanks for listing in detail. I'm setting up my RIA TAC as back-up to my STI Spartan. I have a couple of Colts but keeping those in my safe.

BTW, to the OP... both RIA TAC and STI Spartan have worked well for me. I bought my RIA TAC a couple of years ago and have put in over a thousand rounds in stock configuration and I have not encountered any problem after a brief break-in period. As for the STI Spartan, I've had it for a few months and the fit is excellent. I will be looking at doing a hard chrome when the factory finish wears off. The only mods I've added to it so far is a S&A Magwell and some grip tape.

what are the differences between the spartan and the trojan and are they worth the differences in price?

The finish on the Trojan is nicer. It has a ramped barrel, and the STippling in the front strap. The trigger parts are the same, but the fit may be a bit better.

It's a hard call. For a newbie, I tend to think that you'd be better off buying the Spartan and spending the difference on mags and ammo.

I have one in 9mm. I took it out for the first time today, and it's awesome.

Suggest you look at a Sprinfield Loaded Target Model in Stainless Steel in 9mm or 45 ACP. If you don't like the mirror polish you can have the gun bead blasted to a matte finish (I had mine done for $30). Their running around $900-$1,000 depending on whom you buy it from. I have 10,000 rounds thru mine without any problems.

post-14994-0-43417100-1313935760_thumb.j

I enjoy my Trojan in 9mm, took a little tuning to get it to run but it's been a lot of fun. Purchased it three years ago used on Gunbroker added a few parts and had it Hard Chromed.

Had good luck searching out used Kimbers in 45ACP last one was a Gold Match, added a Dawson front sight, Ed Brown mag well and did a trigger job, tack driver. Very pleased and have just a little over $1000 in the project.

Helped a friend on a very tight budget find a 1911 in 45ACP. Went with a Metro Arms American Classic. Well made pistol that ran every type of ammo and magazine we tried. Lock up was tight nice gun in the $500 range. Only draw back was fixed sights but they are clear and sharp.

Another friend went with a Springfield Range Officer, another good base to add a few parts to and finish up in the $1000 range.

I have never owned a Spartan but have only read or heard good about them. Only complaint I've heard of is the element in the front sight is to low, heck we almost always change sights and add a few other parts. That's half the fun of shooting 1911's.

If your planning to shoot competition with your 1911, I would purchase a pistol with adjustable sights, ammo, bullet weight, powder, time of day can change point of impact.

I would leave Taurus PT 1911 alone.

We have a Springfield RO in the shop so I checked it out taking a sight picture; boy it sucked. Took my calipers and measured the rear notch and found it measured 0.115, front sight blade is 0.119. Don't know about everyone else but I like my front blade to be thinner then the rear sight notch. Also why would Springfield ship it out with two 7 round magazines? For at this price point other 1911 by STI and Kimber will be a better buy.

what are the differences between the spartan and the trojan and are they worth the differences in price?

The finish on the Trojan is nicer. It has a ramped barrel, and the STippling in the front strap. The trigger parts are the same, but the fit may be a bit better.

It's a hard call. For a newbie, I tend to think that you'd be better off buying the Spartan and spending the difference on mags and ammo.

I have one in 9mm. I took it out for the first time today, and it's awesome.

I agree, when making the decision of moving from a Glock and starting with the 1911 platform in 9mm for ESP/USPSA SS. I set myself a budget based around getting a Trojan. Some friends steered me toward the SPARTAN. Going that route saved me the difference in cost between the two guns overall. I ended up spending what I would have total for the TROJAN but got my SPARTAN completely rigged up ready to compete, with a after market grips, Dawson FO front sight and magwell, 4 Tripp mags, holster/mags carriers, trigger job and spring change for my reloads.

I'd still like to get a TROJAN, and will sometime but more than likely it will be in .40 S&W

Edited by Boxerglocker

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my RIA Tactical for $400 in 2008, I think they go for $420 now. I put sights and a magwell on it. I shot the hell out of it, and has been my SS gun since I bought it. I'd guess I have 30k rounds through it, but I don't really know. My USPSA # is A62757, you can go look at all the SS and L10 matches I've shot and add up the rounds, then double that for practice.

This spring, I put a new barrel in it (Kart EZ fit). The groups were beginning to open up. The gun runs 100%, and all I'll done for maintenance is change the recoil spring every 6000 rounds or until it shortens up.

Like others have said, the same people that build the STI Spartan build the RIA. The slide and frame are made in the same factory. The only difference is the internals, as mentioned above.

The RIA Tactical has my strongest recommendation. Having said that, its not the arrow that makes the difference, its the Indian...

I bought my RIA Tactical for $400 in 2008, I think they go for $420 now. I put sights and a magwell on it. I shot the hell out of it, and has been my SS gun since I bought it. I'd guess I have 30k rounds through it, but I don't really know. My USPSA # is A62757, you can go look at all the SS and L10 matches I've shot and add up the rounds, then double that for practice.

This spring, I put a new barrel in it (Kart EZ fit). The groups were beginning to open up. The gun runs 100%, and all I'll done for maintenance is change the recoil spring every 6000 rounds or until it shortens up.

Like others have said, the same people that build the STI Spartan build the RIA. The slide and frame are made in the same factory. The only difference is the internals, as mentioned above.

The RIA Tactical has my strongest recommendation. Having said that, its not the arrow that makes the difference, its the Indian...

Wow.no modifications?just sights and magwell?what magazine and magwell are you using BTW?

The magwell is a smith and alexander, nothing special. I was using the Novak/ACT/PSI mags that came with the gun. I have like seven of them, but those mags seem to be prone to cracking. Only two are not cracked, so I bought three tripp research mags. My home club shoots in a sand pit, so the ability to clean the mags quickly is pretty important to me.

If you want to see pictures of the gun, see

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59601&st=3250

post# 3269

• 1 month later...

While not the best 1911 by far, I have had a Taurus for a few years. And other than a failure to return to battery when I tried to use a recoil spring past its usefull life, it has performed great for informal plinking and with a Wilson magwell and a fo front sight has got me started in USPSA.

Edited by ajpollme

STI spartan is a great value and for the trojan price you can build it up and have it ready to rance for a stock trojan. I added the techwell mag well, Dawson sight and had W2R do a trigger job with new parts(now I have the factory set as a backup set). I just added some grip tape to the front strap. I figure once I destroy the finish so bad it needs a refinish I can send it and have it checkered and refinished. Im not a fan of the trojans stippling and would reather it come checkered or smooth