Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single stack mag pouches? Best bang for buck

38SuperDub

Come see mine when you come this way. I had a guy make me some out of kydex. They are awesome and cheap too.

You are really going to like SS. It is much more demanding but much more rewarding as well. I love beating limited guys with only 8 rounds.

Have these doubles for my M&P and not really crazy about them. When you adjust the tension for one holder the other one is too tight (or loose). So you end up having to shim the loose one or reshape using heat.

I am going back to singles. Bit more expensive but also allows you to space the mag holders individually.

I've had excellent results w/ Blade Tech.

http://www.blade-tec...SR-pr-1072.html

Have these doubles for my M&P and not really crazy about them. When you adjust the tension for one holder the other one is too tight (or loose). So you end up having to shim the loose one or reshape using heat.

I am going back to singles. Bit more expensive but also allows you to space the mag holders individually.

Doubles are not ideal for this game.

Granted I haven't shot a match with this gear yet (I will on Sunday), but I've been practicing with it for about a month now. I use a CR Speed belt, CR Speed Versa-pouches WITH the Single-Stack spacers, and a Blade-Tech SRB.

I have to say everything is extremely smooth and fast, especially for someone like myself who is new to the sport. I didn't really want to pay the money for the pouches but they got really good reviews, and now I understand why. They are adjustable and with the spacers, my SS mags fit really nice. Also, both releasing and seating mags are a LOT easier with this setup. With the spacers/belt my mags are ~1 7/8" away from my inner belt, which makes it even easier to draw. But, like I said, I haven't had the chance to try them in a match yet, but I have no reason to believe they would be any different.

And the best part IMO? If you want to shoot double-stack, all you have to do is replace the spacer with the original!

Edited by polizei1

I like the Comp-Tacs I've been using. They are the doubles, but they are spaced far enough apart that the mags don't interfere with each other These are the only doubles I've seen that have separate tension adjustments for each pouch, so the tension problem you mention doesn't happen.

I have had good luck with uncle mike's doubles. With small modifications, they are perfect for what we do and you can 6 on without going to the middle of your back.

Our experience is they are $16 for the double pouch, and with about 1/2 hour each with basic hand tools and $5 (for 6 pouches) worth of hardware from the local hardware store, you can make them pretty sporty on a real low price point.

Another vote for 771's. I like the open front. The mags stay put until you need them and then they can be ripped out! This is a good thing especially once you get to the 3rd or 4th reload. Some pouches require a straight up pull, the 771's don't.

If you are running CR Speed Versa-Pouches, you can just use the CR Speed 1911 Spacers from Power Factor Shooting. I have been using these for a few months and I really like them. It only takes a few minutes to change the spacers and it is much cheaper than an entire new belt set-up.

+1

The reason I don't care too much for the single stack pouches out there, is that you are at a disadvantage with table starts, where all your mags are on the table at the start of a stage. when the adrenaline is pumping it can be hard to put a rectangle magazine inside a rectangle magazine pouch hole. It kinda like shooting single stack with no magwell. Also the single stack pouches that are out there on the market, place the magazine too close to your body, and can dig into your ribs, while doing normal range duty activities.

Another vote for 771's. I like the open front. The mags stay put until you need them and then they can be ripped out! This is a good thing especially once you get to the 3rd or 4th reload. Some pouches require a straight up pull, the 771's don't.

I use them for Limited, and I really like them. They're not too expensive, either.

I have had good luck with uncle mike's doubles. With small modifications, they are perfect for what we do and you can 6 on without going to the middle of your back.

Our experience is they are $16 for the double pouch, and with about 1/2 hour each with basic hand tools and $5 (for 6 pouches) worth of hardware from the local hardware store, you can make them pretty sporty on a real low price point.

What mods are you doing? we need PICTURES!!! :roflol:

jj