Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tripp or Dawson 10rnd 9MM mags?

cheers623

OK, title says its all. Please weigh in on this. My wife has an STI Trojan 9MM that she has been running for about 4 years and has run 100%. BUT, now she wants to shoot L-10 with 10 round mags. We tried the Chip McCormick .38 Super mags but they don't run well in her gun. Also, we've both had problems with Wilson mags over the years so have narrowed it down to Tripp Mags or Dawsons. Any experience from the people in the know that are running these two would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers623

DVC

Edited by cheers623

Haven't tried the Dawsons, but the Tripps run great in my DW PM9. In fact, while I'm sure it's happened, I can't remember hearing of anyone having issues with the Tripps. I have witnessed guys have issues while running Dawsons, but there are too many unknown variables in those situations to say it could have been the mags. FWIW

I ran Tripps when they first came out. The performed flawlessly except the basepads came off several times when they hit the ground. They were a PITA to get back on. I have no experience with Dawsons but I would expect good things from them.

Sorry about those McCormicks. I had great success with them provided you loaded long 9mm.

I run Tripp mags in my Kimber and Spartan - no issues. They are a little pricey though. Best buy is a Check-Mate 38 Super mag @ $20. My CMC 38 Super mags work well also. When I use 38 Super mags I load to a 1.200" OAL.

Run the tripps here as well and they work great. Why not just shoot SS with the 10 round mags as opposed to limited 10 with them. In lim 10 you have minor scoring and the same round cout as everyone else. In Ss at least you get those extra 2 rounds for the minor scoring

I run Tripp mags in my Kimber and Spartan - no issues. They are a little pricey though. Best buy is a Check-Mate 38 Super mag @ $20. My CMC 38 Super mags work well also. When I use 38 Super mags I load to a 1.200" OAL.

I use Dawson 10 rounders in my Spartian runs perfect with fmj

I have lock back issues and nose dive with the tripps. The followers needed tuned to lock back and now that parts fine. They still nose dive with JHP ammo, but 100% with 147 BBI flat points.

I would go with Metalform 10rd elite mags from Midway. They're much cheaper, and the same tube as the Dawson from what I've seen. You may have to tune the lips and follower to get them to lock back, but they'll run JHP's or anything.

Great info so far. Keep it coming! My wife shoots L-10 because she likes the mag carriers up front on the belt. Believe me, I've tried to talk her into shooting SS but she doesn't care. As she puts it, she's shooting for fun and not to win but rather to spend time with me. I'm lucky in that regard so I'll get her whatever gear she wants and then shut my pie-hole. The only time she gets p*****-off is when her gear craps out. Hence the reason for my wanting to get her trouble free mags!

Thanks again and keep it coming.

Cheers623

DVC

Great info so far. Keep it coming! My wife shoots L-10 because she likes the mag carriers up front on the belt. Believe me, I've tried to talk her into shooting SS but she doesn't care. As she puts it, she's shooting for fun and not to win but rather to spend time with me. I'm lucky in that regard so I'll get her whatever gear she wants and then shut my pie-hole. The only time she gets p*****-off is when her gear craps out. Hence the reason for my wanting to get her trouble free mags!

Thanks again and keep it coming.

Cheers623

DVC

Chris, get the Tripp's and don't look back. I have some new ones that you can try out, just give me a call.

I have the dawsons and they work great. I have never had an issue and the basepads work perfectly in the Dawson magwell. I have never used the Tripp mags but I have had such good luck with the Dawsons I see no reason to. Dawson is a great guy to deal with too; I have his magwells, sights, and basepads on my Glock and has always been easy to deal with and his products are great

I've got about 15-20k through my Tripp 9mm and 38 super mags. They run like a top. I run CMJs just to be on the safe side. With JHP all the mags I tried would sometimes nose dive on the first round out of the mag from slide lock. The Tripps did it less but once a match is to many. Keep your springs fresh and you'll be fine!

I have been playing with SS 9mm for a few matches now. I am using the Wilson 10 round mags and they work great. I am having a problem though with rounds walking forward and causing the mag to hang up when I do a mag change.

I am using factory 9mm as I am trying to cut down my time at the reloading bench. Anyone else having this problem or using factory 9mm 115's and not having a walk forward problem?

Gary

I have been playing with SS 9mm for a few matches now. I am using the Wilson 10 round mags and they work great. I am having a problem though with rounds walking forward and causing the mag to hang up when I do a mag change.

I have some wilson's and I can't seat a mag with 10rds in it with the slide down. Can you? Any modifications needed?

The only cure I know for the walking rounds is to load longer...Does anyone make a long minor 9?

I have been running Dawson 10 rd mags without problems in a kimber 9mm about 2k rounds so far no issues. However please chime in on this but they are a pain in the butt to unload. If i shoot a match and end up with a mag containing 9 or 10 rounds I cannot unload them without using a screwdriver or similar object to get the first 2 rounds out. I take a flat screwdriver and press foreward to get round out. not dangerous or damaging anything but a pain.