Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo Catching @ match

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know in IDPA they dont allow this ammo catching after you shoot your stage for safety reason. , Some of shooters in USPSA /IPSC do this in the match, I recently was told by someone in local match that it is not allowed anymore even in USPSA. is that something new?

i do it in every idpa and uspsa match i shoot, including idpa worlds and uspsa nats. your friends are misinformed

not sure if you realised but he posted that 5 years ago.....

There still wasn't a rule against it 5 years ago.

yes there was...FTDR

- FTDR covers anything the SO subjectively feels is not "right"...

If somebody told you this they likely never read the rule first hand. Not saying that things are not too subjective sometimes, but it is worth reading the rule for yourself.

That's IDPA. USPSA doesn't have "FTDR", and ROs aren't supposed to make rules up.

That doesn't seem to working out either. :roflol:

I am pretty soft on the unpaid volunteers who do the work so the rest of us can enjoy shooting, also I am one of those folks a couple times a month or so so my opinion is biased in that way also.

That said, the folks who run the timer in my part of the world are very very appreciated and generally either good or very good. Perfect, no.

• 2 weeks later...

I shot an IDPA match today (about half hour drive from home). Our local club dropped IDPA and is moving forward with more USPSA-style shooting (perhaps becoming a USPSA associated club when the new additional pistol bay is finished). The club I shot at today is IDPA specific. In the safety briefing before the match began, the two senior ROs said that "safety got a bit lax" at the end of last season--citing "catching ejected rounds" after completing a stage as the primary example. They declared that anyone catching rounds at the match would be instantly DQ'd from the match. Well, on two stages my ejected rounds went into the tall 6" grass (until recently was covered with snow) and we couldn't find them. Happened to about six other people. Some of us that shoot USPSA also quietly smiled and just sucked it up. I'm guessing that the ROs compile enough ammo after the match to shoot the next match with zero ammo cost.

I shot an IDPA match today (about half hour drive from home). Our local club dropped IDPA and is moving forward with more USPSA-style shooting (perhaps becoming a USPSA associated club when the new additional pistol bay is finished). The club I shot at today is IDPA specific. In the safety briefing before the match began, the two senior ROs said that "safety got a bit lax" at the end of last season--citing "catching ejected rounds" after completing a stage as the primary example. They declared that anyone catching rounds at the match would be instantly DQ'd from the match. Well, on two stages my ejected rounds went into the tall 6" grass (until recently was covered with snow) and we couldn't find them. Happened to about six other people. Some of us that shoot USPSA also quietly smiled and just sucked it up. I'm guessing that the ROs compile enough ammo after the match to shoot the next match with zero ammo cost.

If they can't find 'em, maybe the lawnmower will? :roflol:

When they find a open 9 round they will stop picking up and shooting others Ammo. If it hits the dirt it's dead. When I shoot open or my wife does we try to find the jacked out round so somebody doesn't shoot it but it doesn't always happen.

In the safety briefing before the match began, the two senior ROs said that "safety got a bit lax" at the end of last season--citing "catching ejected rounds" after completing a stage as the primary example. They declared that anyone catching rounds at the match would be instantly DQ'd from the match.

If this was sprung on me without notice I'd still do it - and if they DQ'd me I wouldn't be back. Simple solution to stupid rules.

In the safety briefing before the match began, the two senior ROs said that "safety got a bit lax" at the end of last season--citing "catching ejected rounds" after completing a stage as the primary example. They declared that anyone catching rounds at the match would be instantly DQ'd from the match.

If this was sprung on me without notice I'd still do it - and if they DQ'd me I wouldn't be back. Simple solution to stupid rules.

Or vica versa :) .

When they find a open 9 round they will stop picking up and shooting others Ammo.

I catch all my rounds (I put on more than 30 seconds of practice to perfect the technique), but I feel pretty confident an open 9 round would shoot just fine in any of my pistols.

this is what happens to old has-beens that can't shoot and don't know the rules. they switch to a sport with tribal rules that specifically discourages skilled shooting.

When they find a open 9 round they will stop picking up and shooting others Ammo.

I catch all my rounds (I put on more than 30 seconds of practice to perfect the technique), but I feel pretty confident an open 9 round would shoot just fine in any of my pistols.

If I ever get healed up and get to shoot a match, I'll give you a mags worth, let's try it out;)

In all seriousness, a 9major round isn't gonna hurt a fully supported 1911 barrel. Motos Trojan is no different than my open gun when it comes to barrel pressure capacity. Yeah it would shoot horrible, but ain't gonna kaboom.

A plastic striker gun though, yep don't wanna try that one!

I know in IDPA they dont allow this ammo catching after you shoot your stage for safety reason. , Some of shooters in USPSA /IPSC do this in the match, I recently was told by someone in local match that it is not allowed anymore even in USPSA. is that something new?

i do it in every idpa and uspsa match i shoot, including idpa worlds and uspsa nats. your friends are misinformed

not sure if you realised but he posted that 5 years ago.....

There still wasn't a rule against it 5 years ago.

I wasn't making a judgement on whether there was or wasn't a rule. I just thought the OP may have found an answer in the intervening 5 years. :) all good. carry on. :)

I shot an IDPA match today (about half hour drive from home).... The club I shot at today is IDPA specific. In the safety briefing before the match began, the two senior ROs said that "safety got a bit lax" at the end of last season--citing "catching ejected rounds" after completing a stage as the primary example. They declared that anyone catching rounds at the match would be instantly DQ'd from the match....

I would have asked for my money back.

If it's an IDPA match, they have an IDPA rulebook... or at least should.

NOTHING in that book about flip and catch. You don't get to make up new rules on the spot.

If the MD SOs and ROs are that ignorant of firearms that they fear the flip and catch, I don't want to shoot there anyway.

I shot an IDPA match today (about half hour drive from home).... The club I shot at today is IDPA specific. In the safety briefing before the match began, the two senior ROs said that "safety got a bit lax" at the end of last season--citing "catching ejected rounds" after completing a stage as the primary example. They declared that anyone catching rounds at the match would be instantly DQ'd from the match....

NOTHING in that book about flip and catch. You don't get to make up new rules on the spot.

If the MD SOs and ROs are that ignorant of firearms that they fear the flip and catch, I don't want to shoot there anyway.

Depends on the source of the rule.

Club rules may be more stringent than match rules. I think this is true of most of the shooting sports, if a club rule exists then you are obligated to follow it. As noted, if you feel strongly about a unique restriction you may choose not to participate.

Club rules may be more stringent than match rules. I think this is true of most of the shooting sports, if a club rule exists then you are obligated to follow it. As noted, if you feel strongly about a unique restriction you may choose not to participate.

Not true for USPSA sanctioned matches.

I inquired about the ROs (see above) DQing for catching bullets after unloading and showing clear. Another RO for that club claims that IDPA HQ issued a recent clarification outlawing bullet catching (supposedly because some idiot shot his hand after an ejected bullet that he was trying to catch "rechambered itself.") I don't have the time to try and confirm what I suspect is pure poopoo del torro. I have a degree in mathematics and comp sci and was trying to calculate the odds of an ejected bullet successfully rechambering, slide "accidentally" moving forward, finger pulling trigger, and support hand in front of muzzle. My conclusion is that the odds are greater than the odds of all Benos forum shooters 100% unanimously agreeing on the exact same model gun as the best production handgun for three years in a row.

Edited by Steppenwolf

I inquired about the ROs (see above) DQing for catching bullets after unloading and showing clear. Another RO for that club claims that IDPA HQ issued a recent clarification outlawing bullet catching (supposedly because some idiot shot his hand after an ejected bullet that he was trying to catch "rechambered itself.") I don't have the time to try and confirm what I suspect is pure poopoo del torro. I have a degree in mathematics and comp sci and was trying to calculate the odds of an ejected bullet successfully rechambering, slide "accidentally" moving forward, finger pulling trigger, and support hand in front of muzzle. My conclusion is that the odds are greater than the odds of all Benos forum shooters 100% unanimously agreeing on the exact same model gun as the best production handgun for three years in a row.

Awesome!

Yes, but I think everyone agrees that the whole point of IDPA is to make up on the fly whatever rules are necessary to penalize and drive off the younger and more skilled shooters, and those who practice more.

No, we don't all agree with you on that.

Not true for USPSA sanctioned matches.

Interesting. Section 3.3 I guess. Makes sense, if you traveled to a level two or greater match and got dinged for something outside the rule book that would smart a bit. For local stuff you really do not want to cut out available facilities so allowing special rules seems to make sense there as well.

Close to me there is an indoor match option, irritating rule is that they won't allow you to shoot reloaded ammo there, but it is nice to be able to run a small tune up match or two when it is crazy cold outside.