Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo Catching @ match

When I am the RO I make these jackasses so me clear again every time. The smart ones usually figure it out.

WOW! I'm sorry that you feel that me and a lot of other shooters are jackasses. The motion is made after the "unload and show clear" command. At that point I turn the gun port up, eject the round into the air, catch it, then hold the slide open for inspection. Cupping a hand over the port is inviting a slamfire. Letting the round fall to the ground could cause safety problems later. So, maybe we jackasses aren't as big a jackass as you presume we are.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do like whatever as long as I can see your chamber at the end, otherwise I'm not going to tell you "if clear, hammer down, holster."

Also if your gun won't run dirty ammo, wipe it off before you put it back in.

None of this has to be as hard as people want to make it.

I had a very experienced shooter who did a very showy 'flip and catch' every time - until the time he forgot to remove the magazine first! He would flip the round high up into the air, drop the hammer, and catch the round in his off hand.

As RO, I saw there was another round in the mag, and yelled "NO", but he was in his groove, had an ND, and was required to leave the range.

I understand that the detonations have all occurred with .40 S&W, and was one of the reasons for the switch to small pistol primers in the caliber. I have seen one, and it was not pretty - bloody, but not a serious wound.

Required to leave the range for an AD? Is that in the new rule book somewhere?
Pretty sure a ND during unload and show clear/hammer down holster has always been a DQ.

Discharge after UASC command is not necessary a DQ. If it happens after the ICHDH command, then it is an automatic DQ. Those are two distinct commands...not one.

I don't see why this is such a problem. If your safe about it, thats all that should matter. I do it because I feel its safer than putting my hand near a chamber opening up and I don't want to look in the dirt for my round.

I'm not really against it, but your argument "if you're [sic] about it" fails...

- you can be safe breaking the 180 also, but there is a rule against it...

- you can be safe with a cross-draw holster, but there is a rule against it...

- you can be safe pointing a gun at yourself too, but there is a rule against it...not just in the sport...

- etc...

The rules, whether it's a sport rule or just common sense rule, are there to lessen the possibility of an accident happening. As stated before, people have swept themselves doing it. Next time, who knows, they might sweep the RO or someone else while paying more attention to the ejected round. There might even be an extra round in the chamber because they forgot to take out the magazine first. We do many extra things because of safety...does really not looking for a $.50 round in the dirt worth your own or someone else's limb or life?

When I am the RO I make these jackasses so me clear again every time. The smart ones usually figure it out.

everyone I see do the flip and catch shows me the clear chamber afterwards (the same way I do it). I have never found any need to be a jerk about it or call my fellow shooters 'jackasses'.

I don't see why this is such a problem. If your safe about it, thats all that should matter. I do it because I feel its safer than putting my hand near a chamber opening up and I don't want to look in the dirt for my round.

I'm not really against it, but your argument "if you're [sic] about it" fails...

- you can be safe breaking the 180 also, but there is a rule against it...

- you can be safe with a cross-draw holster, but there is a rule against it...

- you can be safe pointing a gun at yourself too, but there is a rule against it...not just in the sport...

- etc...

The rules, whether it's a sport rule or just common sense rule, are there to lessen the possibility of an accident happening.

right. but there's no rule against flipping and catching, nor should there be. If someone sweeps himself while ULSC, it's because he's not paying attention, and it can happen regardless of the method you use.

I agree, I do not like looking for the round on the ground. Some of my ROs have caught the round for me, but I could see that this could be an issue if a newbie forgot to pull the mag out and just loaded another round, both the shooter and the RO are watching the ejected round. Just was reading about "What I forgot" and someone walked up to shoot a stage and only at "Load and make ready" realized he did not have his gun.

Based on the above logic we shouldn't have live ammo on the range

It's dangerous

Rules are there to "lessen" the possibility of a fatal mistake - for safety...not necessarily because of how dangerous something is. Our sport is one of the most dangerous sport there is, yet probably one with fewest fatal accidents...because of the safety rules everyone observes. A lot of people have had ADs, yet most were harmless...again...because of the safety rules we all follow.

right. but there's no rule against flipping and catching, nor should there be. If someone sweeps himself while ULSC, it's because he's not paying attention, and it can happen regardless of the method you use.

Yes, it can, but - again - why do something that is not really necessary for the sake of safety? Why chance it?

As i said before, I'm not against it...it's just something I don't see necessary and it adds another risk to an already dangerous sport.

Based on the above logic we shouldn't have live ammo on the range

It's dangerous

Rules are there to "lessen" the possibility of a fatal mistake - for safety...not necessarily because of how dangerous something is. Our sport is one of the most dangerous sport there is, yet probably one with fewest fatal accidents...because of the safety rules everyone observes. A lot of people have had ADs, yet most were harmless...again...because of the safety rules we all follow.

Yes, it can, but - again - why do something that is not really necessary for the sake of safety? Why chance it?

As i said before, I'm not against it...it's just something I don't see necessary and it adds another risk to an already dangerous sport.

I dont see it as adding any risk at all, especially compared to some of the alternatives (dropping live rounds, or cupping a hand over the chamber), and I think the reasons have been clearly explained earlier.

I dont see it as adding any risk at all, especially compared to some of the alternatives (dropping live rounds, or cupping a hand over the chamber), and I think the reasons have been clearly explained earlier.

I will agree that cupping the hand over the chamber is more dangerous and far more risky...

Dropping rounds...not so much...

It's getting more and more prevalent too. I ran shooters last weekend that were just like me and needed to practice (a lot). lol. But for some reason they had the flip and catch perfected? That and turning on their hat cams...

plus the RO can CLEARLY see the chamber is empty.

You mean the RO can see in the chamber when you do the flip? I hate seeing the flip. And when I do I don't even pretend to be looking at the chamber. I'm watching hands and muzzles looking for a sweep or 180. I always make the shooter go back to showing me an empty chamber after the sideshow is over. :cheers:

^^

This.

It's getting more and more prevalent too. I ran shooters last weekend that were just like me and needed to practice (a lot). lol. But for some reason they had the flip and catch perfected? That and turning on their hat cams...

I need some lessons from them - I always forget the cam at least one or two stages during a match.

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday was ORSA's toys for tots match. Great match. Among the prizes that were given away were 6 guns. 116 competitors, 8 stages, some IDPA, some USPSA, some steel challenge design. I, along with another gentleman was privileged to RO on one of the stages. Because of this ongoing thread I was looking for how many of the shooters were doing the 'ol flip and catch thing. To build a statistic I counted the loaded rounds I found after the match as I was collecting my pay from the stage. I found 27 loaded rounds on the ground. Give or take a few for jams that gives 24% of the shooters that let their UASC round hit the dirt.of the other 76% I would give it about 50/50 of those that caught their round and those that cupped the slide opening and let the round fall out into their hand. Or, to put it another way, 38% of the shooters committed an unsafe act at the end of the stage when they cupped the slide opening.

It's not unsafe if

you just ease the slide back gently and let the round fall into your hand.

What if there is a poisonous snake inside that lunges out and bites your palm after the slide opens?

That's why I take my mongoose to matches. He sits on my shoulder to protect me against errant vipers.

It's not unsafe if you just ease the slide back gently and let the round fall into your hand.

What if there is a poisonous snake inside that lunges out and bites your palm after the slide opens?

What if a frog had wings?