Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo Catching @ match

A DQ does not mean you have to leave the range, just that you can't compete in that match anymore.

Exactly! If you are forced to leave the range that is a local thing and we all know the rule about local rules!

What if steel1212 Drove the crew from his home town to the match? You going to make him sit outside the gate and wait for them to finish?

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A DQ does not mean you have to leave the range, just that you can't compete in that match anymore.

Exactly! If you are forced to leave the range that is a local thing and we all know the rule about local rules!

What if steel1212 Drove the crew from his home town to the match? You going to make him sit outside the gate and wait for them to finish?

Of course not. He's welcome to drive to the bar and wait until his friends finish up, then come back and get them. Easy peasy

Of course not. He's welcome to drive to the bar and wait until his friends finish up, then come back and get them. Easy peasy

Not sure if serious.....

Not sure if serious.....

Few are...

• 2 months later...

Some RO's will try to catch it for you, i dont try to catch as a shooter OR an RO

I've done that, if the round comes straight at me at a good angle..

But just like when I'm the shooter myself, if the catch is problematic and draws my attention away from the gun, I let it fall.

• 1 month later...

I've witnessed open port detonation 3 times. All 40s. Twice at local matches. Once at the USPSA 3gun national event in Tulsa. The event in Tulsa required surgery.

More interesting, and scary, was when a friend and I were downrange pasting targets at a local match. He reached up and grabbed the top of his ear which was bleeding on both sides. A bullet fragment from the bay next door had come OVER the berm and gone through his ear.

That was the day I bought some wrap around shooting glasses from Rudy Project.

• 2 months later...

I've witnessed open port detonation 3 times. All 40s. Twice at local matches. Once at the USPSA 3gun national event in Tulsa. The event in Tulsa required surgery.

More interesting, and scary, was when a friend and I were downrange pasting targets at a local match. He reached up and grabbed the top of his ear which was bleeding on both sides. A bullet fragment from the bay next door had come OVER the berm and gone through his ear.

I didn't see it, a friend saw an ammo flip detonation that he said he thought required 3 hand surgeries to repair (might have only been two though, he was not sure). I did not ask the caliber.

No blood, but got a good whack in the era muff from a rock flying from an adjacent bay. Didn't know what happened, I was doing unload and show clear and about the same instant I closed the slide, whack, my first thought was that I must have set off a round somehow although that did not explain the thump I felt. Have noticed since that that club places barrels behind targets that result in a close shot with the bullet going into the rocks, thought being that this will help cut down on rocks flying.

I didn't see it, a friend saw an ammo flip detonation that he said he thought required 3 hand surgeries to repair (might have only been two though, he was not sure). I did not ask the caliber.

No blood, but got a good whack in the era muff from a rock flying from an adjacent bay. Didn't know what happened, I was doing unload and show clear and about the same instant I closed the slide, whack, my first thought was that I must have set off a round somehow although that did not explain the thump I felt. Have noticed since that that club places barrels behind targets that result in a close shot with the bullet going into the rocks, thought being that this will help cut down on rocks flying.

I hope they are filling those barrels behind the target with sand or clean dirt. When shot at just the correct angle, a bullet can be deflected around the inner curve of the barrel and exit through the side. Several local clubs use 50 gallon plastic barrels as vision barriers and I've heard bullets whizzing around inside the barrel when someone hit the barrel at just the right angle.

"I hope they are filling those barrels behind the target with sand or clean dirt. When shot at just the correct angle, a bullet can be deflected around the inner curve of the barrel and exit through the side. Several local clubs use 50 gallon plastic barrels as vision barriers and I've heard bullets whizzing around inside the barrel when someone hit the barrel at just the right angle."

It does sound pretty impressive when a bullet enters the barrel just right and circles for a while!

No media is in the barrels I was referring to, I'm not sure that the risk is any different between a barrel at 5 yards and a barrel at 15 or so yards though. The bullets are hitting the barrel at the same speed for practical purposes.

Good gravy, this thread if over 4 years old. At that time I had contacted John Amidon about this. He said that it was not unsafe and that what was unsafe was those shooters that cupped their hand over the opening and let the round fall into their hand. He said that this action was one of the major factors in a slam fire.

I also asked him about a club outlawing this practice. He said that they could not supersede a USPSA safety rule.

When I was at Miami Rifle and Pistol in Cincinnati it really put a knot in the pantyhose of the guy that cut the grass. He really, REALLY hated to run over those live rounds in the pistol pits with the mower.

When I was at Miami Rifle and Pistol in Cincinnati it really put a knot in the pantyhose of the guy that cut the grass. He really, REALLY hated to run over those live rounds in the pistol pits with the mower.

Another one of those things that makes you go hmmm. I helped on a 32 round stage at a large match this year, probably picked up 50 + - live rounds laying in the rocks/dirt of the shooting area, some before it was stomped on and some after it had been stomped one or more times, it is interesting that a whole lot of people can stomp on a whole lot of live ammo and you never hear of an issue.

Is the case of open breech detonation well studied as to what really causes it? Is it limited to .40S&W only? I also flip my chambered round during ULSC precisely because of a deep fear for detonation. I'd rather have a broken gun than end up with a mangled hand.

Catching the ammo is not always done. Safety first.

Edited by yasko

Well, dang it.

I started my CC life ejecting onto the floor. I got tired of digging the round out from under the fridge or bed or couch or whatever the largest thing in the room happened to be. I started flippin' and catching. Did that in my first real training class. My very experienced instructor warned me against doing so with the Glock as he had seen cases of detonation when the primer impacted the corner of the ejection port. He taught me the roll and cup method (as did my next instructor). I did that until a nice gentleman at my local club (and the RO) warned me against doing THAT for the reasons pointed out in the last 21 pages. I let them drop in matches now, but it's still a PITA at home.

Now I'm thinking I'll have to find an old butterfly net and a couple zip ties...

Jack, stop listening to BS and do what you like.

Life is risky. Worrying about a one in a hundred millionth occurrence of a primer hitting a corner of the slide on the way out is just dumb when there are other things much more likely to kill or injure us.

Life is risky. Worrying about a one in a hundred millionth occurrence of a primer hitting a corner of the slide on the way out is just dumb when there are other things much more likely to kill or injure us.

Valid.

I really like knowing about risks (be they great or small) though, after that what you decide is what you decide.

In movement shooting sports I think the highest probability risk is probably not gun or ammo related, running around obstacles as fast as you can with your eyes and mind focused on targets leads to the occasional impressive hard face flop. There is also the thing about heat stroke & heart attack, for a lot of folks running and getting the heart rate up does not happen outside of a match.

In movement shooting sports I think the highest probability risk is probably not gun or ammo related, running around obstacles as fast as you can with your eyes and mind focused on targets leads to the occasional impressive hard face flop. There is also the thing about heat stroke & heart attack, for a lot of folks running and getting the heart rate up does not happen outside of a match.

Truth. In my few years of semi-occasional club matches EVERY injury I have seen is some sort of musculoskeletal injury involving movement or firing long guns from an awkward position. Several required surgery.

I was not aware and still have a hard time grasping the reported frequency of OOBD while using the roll and cup. But as stated, it IS about managing risk. I would venture to guess that, in a class environment, having students constantly stooping over to retrive ejected rounds MIGHT be more of a risk than the OOBD. Just a guess.

I would venture to guess that, in a class environment, having students constantly stooping over to retrive ejected rounds MIGHT be more of a risk than the OOBD.

Unless you pick up ejected ammo before you are holstered. i wont wait for my chance in the roll and cup technique versus briskly ejecting the last round.