Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo Catching @ match

Yes, but I think everyone agrees that the whole point of IDPA is to make up on the fly whatever rules are necessary to penalize and drive off the younger and more skilled shooters, and those who practice more.

No, we don't all agree with you on that.

True, in a free country you are entitled to be mistaken. :devil:

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but I think everyone agrees that the whole point of IDPA is to make up on the fly whatever rules are necessary to penalize and drive off the younger and more skilled shooters, and those who practice more.

And you are entitled to go through life without a clue.

That's a FTDR penalty right there for name calling. And maybe a procedural or two as well... let me check my tribe's version of the rulebook.

That's a FTDR penalty right there for name calling. And maybe a procedural or two as well... let me check my tribe's version of the rulebook.

Your trolling skills are impressive, but no name was called.

read the rule for issuing a ftdr again. 5.5 The FTDR is intended to be used solely as a penalty for deliberate attempts on the part of the shooter to circumvent or violate the competition rules to gain a competitive advantage. ,,,,,,,,, All FTDR's must be approved by the MD.

Edited by rowdyb

Wow, been going on for five years with the usual Internet Hatchet Attack on IDPA.

Any road, if I am the RO/SO and somebody does the flip and catch trick, I just tell him to show me an empty chamber. No point making up rules, I require him to show me an empty chamber long enough for it to register on me as empty. Unless he sweeps me or even himself, in which case, DQ.

read the rule for issuing a ftdr again. 5.5 The FTDR is intended to be used solely as a penalty for deliberate attempts on the part of the shooter to circumvent or violate the competition rules to gain a competitive advantage. ,,,,,,,,, All FTDR's must be approved by the MD.

you get an ftdr too.

you get an ftdr too.
That's funny!

• 2 weeks later...

I always flip and (mostly) catch ;) If I happen to flip it out at the wrong angle, I don't go chasing it. And then I hold it open for the RO to see it's clear. I hate searching for a round off the ground, especially if it's in mud or disappears in sand. Also, at a major - I don't want to spend time looking for my round; I want to see my targets being scored. I've never had an RO complain or give me dirty looks or anything.

• 2 months later...

I'm smiling. Wanna see something really fun, ask a left handed shooter to do flip n catch without changing hands.

LOL. I'm a lefty and shoot Limited Major with a 2011. When I ULSC, I just put my hand over the ejection port, tilt the gun to the right and slowly (enough so that I don't have to worry about an OOB detination) pull the slide back until I feel the round drop in to my hand. Then I stand the gun back up to show the RO an empty chamber. I never drop a round.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont flip per say I just turn the gun on its side and rack the slide. If the round falls where I think it should which is most of the time it damn near lands in my hand. If not it goes to the ground. I don't chase it, if I miss it o well and I finish showing clear and pick it up if I feel like it when the gun is holstered.

In RO school, Troy explained this as a detonation issue. I remember him saying that as long as your hand was nowhere near the ejection port, it wasn't a safety thing. By racking the slide from the rear serrations, your hand isn't near the ejection port.

I am left handed so almost impossible for me to do the eject and catch thing. Being left handed though makes it very easy to roll the gun and eject the round into my hand slowly. No RO has had issues with it, but I have competed in only 3 USPSA matches so far.

Edited by tanks

In RO school, Troy explained this as a detonation issue. I remember him saying that as long as your hand was nowhere near the ejection port, it wasn't a safety thing. By racking the slide from the rear serrations, your hand isn't near the ejection port.

Ok, that just seems mentally irregular, he is saying keep your hand safe and let the r.o. take the hits if there is any shrapnel ??

Ok, that just seems mentally irregular, he is saying keep your hand safe and let the r.o. take the hits if there is any shrapnel ??

the RO should not be in front of the ejection port anyway...he should be behind the gun to begin with...

the RO should not be in front of the ejection port anyway...he should be behind the gun to begin with...

Which way is the shrapnel going to fly?

I think he was referring to the method where you cover the ejection port with your hand and retract the slide so the round ejects into your hand. I think that he was saying that had a higher chance hand injury since all the shrapnel would go into your hand.

To be fair, that was about 6 years ago, so my memory isn't too sharp on that.

Which way is the shrapnel going to fly?

well, the majority of the shrapnel will fly out of the ejection port and down the mag well and out the barrel...which ever way they are pointing...if the RO is behind the gun, there is less chance to getting hit with the majority of the shrapnel...any shrapnel that will hit the RO will also have the same chance of hitting the shooter...just physics...and since the ammo is not contained during the detonation, there is little velocity on the shrapnel anyway...

if your hand is over the ejection port, your hand will take the blunt of the detonation...it's the actual gases exploding that is doing the majority of the damage to the hand...

• 3 weeks later...

I do it, it is safe, if I miss the catch I let it go. I am also an RO. If someone does the ULSC to fast, it is on them to have a clear chamber. If I see a shooter remove a mag and eject a round, why do I have to look at the chamber.

I do it, it is safe, if I miss the catch I let it go. I am also an RO. If someone does the ULSC to fast, it is on them to have a clear chamber. If I see a shooter remove a mag and eject a round, why do I have to look at the chamber.

Well, because just watching a round fly out requires an assumption; checking the chamber is more sure (although it's still on the shooter, of course). I never "assume" a gun is empty despite having just watched a guy check it before handing it to me; I still check it again, with my own eyes. To paraphrase the military, "Assumption is the mother of all foul-ups." Also, it's part of Cooper's four rules of gun safety.

Of course I check a gun I handle. I understand what you are saying. But if you see the mag come out before a round is ejected, where would the round come from?

It doesn't matter where it (theoretically) might come from - we check, because that's what works. We're not supposed to assume, we use the procedures.

For instance, we don't "assume" the gun is clear after ULSC, even after "seeing" them unload and even after looking in the chamber - we have them drop the hammer/striker to *prove* it. This isn't hard, and it isn't difficult, it's the right thing.