Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you get 20/21 rounds in a mag?

raysracer

I have 4 SV tubes (old style) with Gram's springs and followers with Dawson SNL base pads that all hold 21 rounds and fit the guage with no alteration to base pads or feed lips. Three of the four are easily reloadable while the fourth one has to really be rammed in.

I am working on a combination for the STI tubes and will post my results when I am finished.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All three of the .40 mags I use are easily reloadable with 21 rounds in the mags. The setup is a Rescomp tube, Grams follower and spring, and a Dawson Base Pad. A Dawson SNL base pad helps so that it is a little easier to seat a 21 round mag with the slide forward. I did have to modify my slide stop so that the gun does not lock back with 1 or 2 rounds remaining in the mag using the Grams follower. The procedure to modify the slide stop was outlined on the Brazos website. Yes you can modify the follower, but then you are modifying three (one per mag) parts instead of one. My gun is set up to lock back when the mag is empty.... I can't count that good...

I love the Rescomp tubes. You wont have to mess with them or tune them, although they are soft, and more prone to corrosion than SS mag bodies, so I wipe down the exterior of the mag tubes with an oiled cloth after each use. I also recommend changing the mag springs at least once a year. I do not recommend the rescomp tubes in a STI aluminum grip, though. They will not fit. I found out the hard way, and had to extensively modify my aluminum grip for them to work. No problem at all with the polymer grip, though.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of anyone trying that combo and making the gauge. Have you measured them?

I'm not sure I've ever heard of anyone trying that combo and making the gauge. Have you measured them?

Yeah, this sounds like "D.N.L." (Definitely Not Legal) instead of S.N.L.

I am so glad that I bought the EGW gauge a few months ago. So many people have used mine, saying "My gunsmith said that this combo is legal.", only to find that it isn't.

• 1 month later...

I have read all the posts and its still a little overwhelming to a production shooter with his M&P that wants to run his limited 2011 in .40. I have three old SVI mags that came with the gun that had aerrodondo followers and pads on them that would not lock the slide open. I also have several factory STI 140mm mags that will lock the slide back with factory guts. I tried some aerrodondo followers in all mags and it did not work out so well.

so.. I would like mags that will lock the gun open.

I think that the consensus would be to put Grams followers and spings in the tubes along with Dawson SNL pads on the sti 140mm tubes and SVI tubes to get max ammo.

What do i have to do to get the gun to go to slide lock with these combination if at all possible. As things are the SVI mags with ???? followers will lock the gun open with ammo in the tubes...i dont think thats good. I think my ejector might be loose and contributing to this problem which i know i need to fix or replace.

jon

I have read all the posts and its still a little overwhelming to a production shooter with his M&P that wants to run his limited 2011 in .40. I have three old SVI mags that came with the gun that had aerrodondo followers and pads on them that would not lock the slide open. I also have several factory STI 140mm mags that will lock the slide back with factory guts. I tried some aerrodondo followers in all mags and it did not work out so well.

so.. I would like mags that will lock the gun open.

I think that the consensus would be to put Grams followers and spings in the tubes along with Dawson SNL pads on the sti 140mm tubes and SVI tubes to get max ammo.

What do i have to do to get the gun to go to slide lock with these combination if at all possible. As things are the SVI mags with ???? followers will lock the gun open with ammo in the tubes...i dont think thats good. I think my ejector might be loose and contributing to this problem which i know i need to fix or replace.

jon

Many (if not most and nearly all that I have seen) 2011 shooters modify their followers and or slide stops to prevent the slide from being locked back on an empty mag. This does two things: 1 prevent the possible overinsertion of a magazine when reloading to a locked back slide and 2 prevents premature locking back with a round left in the mag.

If you have older SVI tubes, you are in a position many would like to be. In an SVi tube, I prefer Bolen springs, followers and basepads. So long as your feed lips are properly set, you can easily get 20-21 in the mags. One major issue with STI tubes and the Bolen innards in that they go deep enough into the tube when loaded to get below the indentations and the follower rolls over creating a big ole rattle. This is not an issue with SVI tubes as they have a different style of indentation which extends lower into the mag body.

All of that said, many people prefer Grams internals (followers and springs) as they believe they are easier to setup and more reliable.

My .02? Call Mike or Barry at Shooters Connection and they will get you what you need.

Oh, and get an EGW gauge while you are at it so you dont go over on length!

• 4 months later...

I'm must getting into this as well. I've been shooting limited for about a year now with and M&P Pro .40. It's gone pretty well, but I've just found my first 2011. Got a great deal and 3 mags with it. I want one "big stick", but I want to make sure that I can really use it. I've heard good things coming from the capacity of the Rescomps with SNL's and Grams guts. To the couple of guys who sound as though they have this combo or something similar, does the Rescomp with SNL fit the Limited gauge? Someone mentioned VERY light filing to the rear of the feed lips to make length? Does that do it? I don't really want a $200 paperweight...

does the Rescomp with SNL fit the Limited gauge? Someone mentioned VERY light filing to the rear of the feed lips to make length? Does that do it? I don't really want a $200 paperweight...

No. You'll need the regular Dawson +1, the grams 2.5mm or the bolen 3mm. There's alway some manufacturing tolerances with both the tubes and the pads but anything longer and you won't fit the gauge without some filing. In addition, the rescomp tubes are so thin, you don't want to remove any more than a few thousandths of material, IMHO.

just a thought..

i have a rescomp mag, it holds 21 reload-able with grams guts (springs and follower) : i can squeeze a 22nd round in the tube w/ a bolen follower, but it doesn't seem to work well or be reliable enough to try and use.

all this said: to start a stage with 22 rounds is nice but will not be needed. uspsa has a 8 shot per position maximum.

-- 1 position 8 max

-- 2nd position 16 max

-- 3rd postion 24 max

so unless you can get 25 rounds to start you will need to reload at the same place you would have to reload at if you were using stock unmod'd mags (18rnds)

now you can plan a stage differently and the positions might not have the max round count.

i would rather use a reliable mag at 19rnds or 18 reload-able then a tweaked out 21rounder.

The problem with that theory is that a reliable, reloadable 21 round mag is not a big problem. I have 5 of them -- all nothing special. Factory SV tubes that are un tuned, bolens springs and followers and SNL pads. Few strokes of the file and they're 100% legal. There are plenty of stages where having a few extra shots is good insurance and skipping a mag change on a 22 round stage is a fantastic luxury that can pay in spades.

• 4 weeks later...

I spent weeks trying to get my STI mags with Grams Dawson parts to run 20+1 reloadable with mixed results… Then I shot Single Stack Major for a couple of weeks and decided 19 rounds and 100% reliability is just fine for me in Limited...

I like the 20+1 for the majority of my shooting. I have some stock mags with dawson guts that are 18 rounds that I occasionally use. The 22 round Specialty mag is nice for those times where it matters but I wouldnt use it for my everyday mag especially in a rescomp tube

have been using mags for awhile ... They were 19rds except for 1 that was loading 20rds ... All of them running grams followers and spring combo w/ dawson SNL base pads with the grip tape cut off half way...

After the springs settled they now all load 20rds and the 1 that loaded 20rds before now load 21rds... And they all fit the egw mag gauge, just as long I cut off the grip tape half way to the back of the base pads...

When they gauge your mags @ a big match, do they do it with them loaded or empty ???

Edited by RippSpeed

have been using mags for awhile ... They were 19rds except for 1 that was loading 20rds ... All of them running grams followers and spring combo w/ dawson SNL base pads with the grip tape cut off half way...

After the springs settled they now all load 20rds and the 1 that loaded 20rds before now load 21rds... And they all fit the egw mag gauge, just as long I cut off the grip tape half way to the back of the base pads...

When they gauge your mags @ a big match, do they do it with them loaded or empty ???

Mags are checked empty.

Rethink the grip tape. Stepping the base pad to fit the gage does not result in a legal mag.

...A magazine needs to conform to the length limit as well as the gauge to comply with our rules, also this means that the gauge extends to infinity,...

http://www.USPSA.org/uspsa-NROI-ruling-details.php?indx=33

Mags are checked empty.

Rethink the grip tape. Stepping the base pad to fit the gage does not result in a legal mag.

...A magazine needs to conform to the length limit as well as the gauge to comply with our rules, also this means that the gauge extends to infinity,...

What do you mean stepping ... I cut the grip tape half way just under the number soo it would fit in the mag gauge. So does that mean I have to take the grip tap completely off to pass the gauge ???

Mags are checked empty.

What do you mean stepping ... I cut the grip tape half way just under the number soo it would fit in the mag gauge. So does that mean I have to take the grip tap completely off to pass the gauge ???

Yes. If we are talking about Grip tape on the bottom of the pad.

Edited by wide45

Mags are checked empty.

oohhh man... didnt know that I thought it didnt matter because its just grip tape... oohh well, I'll take them off I guess since I only use the grip tape to number my mags. Thanx for the heads up

• 2 months later...

I stumbled onto a 21rd reloadable and reliable mag. After messing with it, I finally have a big stick 21+1 and the rest are 20+1 mags and they all fit the my egw mag gauge. All are reloadable and have been really reliable..

Edited by RippSpeed

How often do you really need 20 or 21 rounds in the mag? Reloading is one of the basic skills needed to compete in this sport. I have never shot a field course that didnt have a place to reload within 20 rounds. Another requirement is a gun that is going to run time after time, I have seen these ultra capacity mags puke way too often.. A STI tube with a Dawson SNL and competion follower with a IMSI spring gets 19 in the mag that will work every time. 19 in a gun that is goint to run beats 20 on the ground behind you every time. Another plus is that IMSI spring is going to out last all those other springs 3 to one.----------Larry

+1

Mags are checked empty.

oohhh man... didnt know that I thought it didnt matter because its just grip tape... oohh well, I'll take them off I guess since I only use the grip tape to number my mags. Thanx for the heads up

The gauge I seen looked like the bottom was cut on a 90 degree angle to the back of the mag. My mags with Dawson base pads are around 87 - 88 degrees to the back. So the front of the mag is higher and will never contact the gauge even if it ran to infinity.