How do you get 20/21 rounds in a mag?

raysracer

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a STI 140 mm tube, follower, and spring with a Dawson +1 SNL.

The most i can get in is 19.

i read that some of you can get 20 or 21.

How?

thanks.

Try a Grams spring/follower and you'll most likely be able to get another round in there.

LIke Trace said try a Grams spring & follower. However keep in mind not all mag tubes are created equal. Many have dimensional irregularities straight from the manufacturer. Sometimes these can be ironed out. Sometimes not. The feed lips may also need to be tweaked a little bit in order to achieve maximum capacity.

Hi

I was wondering if anybody has some experience with the Ultra-Capacity Aluminum Magazine Followers. Looks like this would answer the question.

SVI states:

This is the product to give you the ultimate advantage of expanded capacity - so important to an IPSC competitor.

This follower will allow for 19+1 in a .40 S&W Duty mag, 21+1 in a 40 S&W 140mm mag and 30+1 in a 9mm/38s 170mm mag.

this is a picture:

post-11063-061385500 1304363765_thumb.jp

Looks promissing to me.

I would like to know more about reliability, and if they are 19 reloadable or only to start with. (I shoot standard, duty mags).

kind regards,

Rick

In an STI tube, Grams springs and followers will get you the greatest capacity and work reliably...usually 20 (reloadable in some tubes). Still may have to correct a given tube for body as well as feed lip dimension problems.

SVI tubes with Bolen springs and followers will get you 21 in the mag but again not reloadable in all tubes. You normally can't use Bolen S/F in STI tubes without major work as they will get below the indentations in the body and roll over leaving you with a big rattle rather than a working magazine. This is one reason why the prev generation SVI tubes are so sought after.

The Rescomp tubes will get you 21 reloadable (usually) but they tend to be fairly soft and the feed lips can deform.

Hope this helps

Grams followers require fitting of the slide stop/follower or they will lock the slide with a round still in the mag, Dawson followers work just as well, use stock springs, and pretty much drop in. With a SNL pad you'll get 20.

• 2 months later...

Are you talking about modifying the grams follower or the gun itself as to keeping gun from going into slidelock when a round is still in mag? I run DP followers and +1 base base pads all function perfect but hold 19 loadable .40 (tight) rounds, I called Dawson about thier SNL base pads they told me sometime they wont fit gauge at match. Im new to USPSA and have only shot local matches and have never had mags checked but if checked I wouldnt want the aggrevation of mags being to long is this a normal problem with the SNL base pads? A guy I shot in match with last weekend suggested the grams followers and springs to be able to get 20 rounds in my mags, but didnt mention the slide lock issue.

One more thought/question if I were to use the SNL base pads and the grams followers and spring would it be possible th get 21 rounds in my mags?

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about an extra round. Reliability is most important, and you will be reloading unless you hit matches with 21 round stages :D

The way I miscount rounds during a stage I need all the rounds I can pack in a mag, I was just thinking if mag would hold 21 it should work reliably with 20 rounds for reload, and to start Barney one round and a 21 round mag total of 22 to start stage....just a little cushion and I need all the cushion I can get.

Miker (great screen name btw) needs to work on breaking down a stage and when to reload. I say this because so do I. 1-2 extra rounds aren't going to help you nearly as much as pre planning your reloads. besides, reloads are fun! it's why I tend to execute 2-3 on a 32 round stage! But seriously reliability trumps capacity any day. that being said, SV tubes, bolen followers, spring, and SNL gets me 20 reloadable.

JL

Miker (great screen name btw) needs to work on breaking down a stage and when to reload. I say this because so do I. 1-2 extra rounds aren't going to help you nearly as much as pre planning your reloads. besides, reloads are fun! it's why I tend to execute 2-3 on a 32 round stage! But seriously reliability trumps capacity any day. that being said, SV tubes, bolen followers, spring, and SNL gets me 20 reloadable.

JL

I agree, I came to this conclusion at area 5 this year, there were enough hard shots and small far steel you could never really plan for maximum use of magazine capacity. if you are shooting 18 to 20 rounds there has to be movement plan a reload. This might not be necessariy if it is a hoser stage with everything close and fast but how often do you see one of those besides at your local club. The STI style gun reloads like a dream, practice and don't sweat the small stuff. Im not a GM and maybe at that level this might matter but I bet if you look at your runs there is plenty of other stuff to work on to shave seconds.

I currently run 140mm STI mags w/ Grams follower & spring w/ Dawso SNL base pads and all I can get is 20rds in a mag... I can force 21 rds in the mag but wont load on the pistol... It gets caught up or I have to jam it in and even then it wont load one in the chamber...

Edited by RippSpeed

All of my original SV tubes with Bolen springs/ Followers and SNL base pads hold 21. Some are reloadable, some aren't. To make the combo gauge legal, the rear of the feed lips need to be knocked down about .020" with a file.

Bolen followers CAN stick in STI tube and then you have a 19 round pepper shaker. Grams followers work flawlessly in STI tubes.

I have tried the Dawsons and think little of them... they give away an entire round of capacity in every tube I tried. I have a stack of 140mm tubes and the dawsons didn't pass muster.

Edited by Seth

I guess its just like a security blanket kinda thing in case of a miss or 5 and blowing my reload plans Im new to USPSA and competition shooting in general and have a problem of sometimes having so much fun I'll run my gun dry or having extra mikes that I have to make up.

JL

I agree, I came to this conclusion at area 5 this year, there were enough hard shots and small far steel you could never really plan for maximum use of magazine capacity. if you are shooting 18 to 20 rounds there has to be movement plan a reload. This might not be necessariy if it is a hoser stage with everything close and fast but how often do you see one of those besides at your local club. The STI style gun reloads like a dream, practice and don't sweat the small stuff. Im not a GM and maybe at that level this might matter but I bet if you look at your runs there is plenty of other stuff to work on to shave seconds.

How often do you really need 20 or 21 rounds in the mag? Reloading is one of the basic skills needed to compete in this sport. I have never shot a field course that didnt have a place to reload within 20 rounds. Another requirement is a gun that is going to run time after time, I have seen these ultra capacity mags puke way too often.. A STI tube with a Dawson SNL and competion follower with a IMSI spring gets 19 in the mag that will work every time. 19 in a gun that is goint to run beats 20 on the ground behind you every time. Another plus is that IMSI spring is going to out last all those other springs 3 to one.----------Larry

Edited by Larry White

Although I agree with Mr. White on there is always a place to reload and run something that is 100%, starting with the higher round count can't hurt. With the side dimples in the STI tubes, use Grams follower/ spring and the Dawson base that fits the gage. Out of the three I own only one holds 20 the rest 19.They don't give penalties for finishing with bullets left.

Edited by z40acp

OK. sure.----------Larry

It is what it is. I have 2 2011s built by Virgil tripp and have never experienced a jam in 50k ish round with the exception of a 357 case that got punched out to 40.

Edited by Seth