Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Shot Season 2 - Episode 10

Heck Jerry probably could have done the whole course, 100 yard shots and all with a revolver in 30 seconds.
Weak hand only. :goof:

With one eye closed!

...and Chuck Norris hanging on his legs... :devil:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im pulling for Jaime for the remainder of the season. Everyone seems to hate him for some reason and I dont know why. I want him to clean house.

And yes, lets please keep this week's thread civil. B)

+1 He seems like a great guy and he is kicking butt. It can't be the Navy thing... Could it?

Jamie is most likely a Frogman but since he is active duty he can't "Advertise" his real job. One of my best friends was on the teams and while he was active duty whenever he was asked what his job was he would say "Salvage/Rescue Diver" or "Electricians Mate" he never, for security reasons, said he was on the teams.

I think the other dudes, being from different branches of the service, are just hating on him but like a true competitor Jamie is letting his shooting do the talking.

GO ANCHOR CLANKER!!!

:devil:

Jamie is most likely a Frogman but since he is active duty he can't "Advertise" his real job. One of my best friends was on the teams and while he was active duty whenever he was asked what his job was he would say "Salvage/Rescue Diver" or "Electricians Mate" he never, for security reasons, said he was on the teams.

I think the other dudes, being from different branches of the service, are just hating on him but like a true competitor Jamie is letting his shooting do the talking.

GO ANCHOR CLANKER!!!

:devil:

It's known as being a 'quiet professional'. Those that have to brag about their skills rarely have any. George has bothered me from the start. His attitude is crap. Hopefully when he loses the show he'll gain some humility. Probably not.

I wasn't a fan of Jaime just because he was the quiet one with little TV time, until the hating started. Now I'm rooting for him just to upset the "plan" of the others. Even if he is "just" a rescue swimmer, what does it matter? He can shoot.

After his outburst I was glad to see Ashley go. Not very professional, and I'm glad they aired it.

To answer an earlier question, yes there is some general animosity amung the different brances. Mostly it's good natured ribbing.

Want2race, I agree with you.

I personally do not think Jamie is a SEAL, but it doesn't matter.

I get the impression that he has been elusive about what exactly he does because he wants people to THINK or ASSUME he may be something that he is not, and maybe that's what bothers the other .mil guys in the house.........

Be proud of whatever you do while you serve, even if it isn't anything " special ".

I get the impression that George would be a hell of a lot of fun to hang out with, IF you are one of the cool kids. However, if you were in the marching band, instead of on the football team, I see him hanging out by the busses threatening to kick your butt, just for the fun of it. I am intentionally using a high school reference, becaus the guy seems like he's stuck in 11th grade.

Jay and Jamie clearly aren't cool enough to hang out with George.

As far as playing the game "Top Shot" goes, he has done an excellent job of creating a loyal crowd. They follow his lead on who should go to elimination. It's all about performance when George wants it to be about performance. It's all about getting rid of people he doesn't like when that meets his needs.

Now that it's down to 5, and all that matters is the shooting, I think he will be gone in the next episode. (That opinion may be biased, because I want him to be gone in the next episode.)

I like the way Top Shot does its eliminations because I think it goes directly to the whole gang-up and vote someone off plot. You not only have to vote them off, you have to risk someone against them in the challenge, someone good enough to outshoot them. And Jay proved the underdog always has a chance.

If I could make tweaks to the show, one of them would be that the bottom competitor in the challenge goes to elimination and the other is voted on. Would probably have to change the challenges so that a bottom performer was recognizable, but that would be a minor change.

Personally, I fast forward through Top Shot and Ultimate Fighter to the competition and skip all the drama.

I get the impression that George would be a hell of a lot of fun to hang out with, IF you are one of the cool kids. However, if you were in the marching band, instead of on the football team, I see him hanging out by the busses threatening to kick your butt, just for the fun of it. I am intentionally using a high school reference, becaus the guy seems like he's stuck in 11th grade.

Jay and Jamie clearly aren't cool enough to hang out with George.

As far as playing the game "Top Shot" goes, he has done an excellent job of creating a loyal crowd. They follow his lead on who should go to elimination. It's all about performance when George wants it to be about performance. It's all about getting rid of people he doesn't like when that meets his needs.

Now that it's down to 5, and all that matters is the shooting, I think he will be gone in the next episode. (That opinion may be biased, because I want him to be gone in the next episode.)

Good perception there. I see a lot of the age old brain vs. brawn conflict. That is one of the things that made Blake my pick for season 1, he has both. George is more reliant on intimidation and his physical skills, Jamie and Jay rely on their logical skills more. I picked Chris or George to win it all before watching the first episode, with Gunny as the dark horse. If they go to no more "voting", Jamie probably does have the edge from here on out. FWIW, George is the kind of guy I am glad is in our armed forces as I think he would fight until the bitter end.

FWIW, George is the kind of guy I am glad is in our armed forces as I think he would fight until the bitter end.

Ya. George and Ashley may come off as jerks but I'm glad they are on our side.

FWIW, George is the kind of guy I am glad is in our armed forces as I think he would fight until the bitter end.

what turns me off is that these confrontations give the perception that this is a normal attitude in the shooting comunity. I do not see how this type of drama is a good thing for our image.

what turns me off is that these confrontations give the perception that this is a normal attitude in the shooting comunity. I do not see how this type of drama is a good thing for our image.

You might be correct. It is hard to understand how the general non-shooting public views us. However, the show has underscored several times that these guys are "Military". JJ, Blake, Harrison, Caleb, Maggie, Athena, Matt, Taran, to me, were the representatives of our sports, and I think they all did a great job of represetning us on the show.

You might be correct. It is hard to understand how the general non-shooting public views us. However, the show has underscored several times that these guys are "Military". JJ, Blake, Harrison, Caleb, Maggie, Athena, Matt, Taran, to me, were the representatives of our sports, and I think they all did a great job of represetning us on the show.

+1

i dont think im biased at all, i shoot uspsa and in the military. I know george, and i know peter from last season. military and uspsa are two different mind sets. uspsa is pure profession an a sport with great sportsmanship, in general great people to be around. while the military is professional a certain bravado comes with it and is a great trait for service members, but mainly in the younger crowd. gunny and chris both have a military/father mentality which just comes from realizing theres more to life than kicking a$$ and taking names. the exception is Joe he is military but keeps his mouth shut and has been a solid performer through the whole show other than a bad day with the .50

since i knew someone from each season i can say there is a lot of edited drama. A LOT. what is happeneing on tv is not what happened in the house. with the way its going in the fabricated drama the show is going to need a name change to "real world-shooters edition" someone mentioned they fast forward through the drama on this show and ultimate fighter, if im not mistaken they are the same producers if that provides any insight.

i think this show is entertaining and the challenges are pretty wild and i like the varous weapons and hard courses even with common weapons. it really has to bring a whole new attention to fundamentals in these scenerios, how often will a USPSA shooter take a stock mil-spec 1911 and shoot billiards ball targets. how often will a military guy pick up JJ's razorcat. how often do any of us use tomahawks and blowguns, do trick shoooting with revolvers. its great seeing this kind of stuff. i personally get a kick out of rifle shooters who pick up a pistol and have 10 thumbs or visa v.

just my insight. your opinion may vary

I was pulling for Ashley until the last couple of episodes. I got the impression that something got to him and a lot of his attitude came from that pressure. I don't know if it was pressure from the show setting or something else but it flipped a switch. I felt going to the elimination that Joe had a big advantage because Ashley was so torqued up.

Caleb had to cancel the podcast interview with Ashley for unspecified reasons. Hope all is well with him.

I watch the show for entertainment ONLY. Getting to see how each person handles the challenges is icing on the cake...and I realize without drama, the show wouldn't have a chance.

Just wish they'd stick with weapons, not sticks, rocks, smoke and mirrors...axes, knives etc..for those I'll stick to watching lumberjacks (at least they have chainsaws to arouse my attention).

But it does amaze me how such a skilled professional taken out of his particular field seems to fall victim, most everytime, to the challenge at hand.

Also shows how a well rounded person can achieve way more than most percieve.

I have spent a fair amount of my adult life in a role where a well earned sense of confidence in your skill set is absolutely essential to going home at the end of your shift. Consequently I have also had quite a bit of exposure to those guys who try to fake confidence with excess amounts of hair gel and turning their volume knob to 11.

In my experience it is those guys who try too hard to fake it that do nothing but exacerbate situations that cause you to fight until the bitter end.

I realize that editing and production only allow for so much true information but I have never experienced someone with real chops behaving the way George does.

All that being said I agree with the sentiment that all the drama is not the best representation for our sport, but I still have to tip my hat to JJ, Maggie, Athena, et al who competed without drama and represented class and professionalism.

I agree with you in part, but I think broadcasting a shooting competition, combined with a little history of the weapons used is good for our sport and gun owners in general. It actually motivated me to apply for Season 4 :cheers: . Maybe a "B" class, average Joe, Country boy has a chance :devil:

From what I've seen so far in season 1 and 2, a good B class USPSA shooter with great rifle, shotgun, and bow skills could clean house. Throw in some practice ahead of time with knife and hatchet throwing, maybe some water balloon tossing and lawn darts, and you'd breeze through the competitions. Plus a good positive mental attitude (for example - like Jay) wouldn't hurt.

Now, getting past the drama the first several episodes, to where you get to kick butt in your real specialty, seems to be the real challenge.

Edited by sfinney

Caleb had to cancel the podcast interview with Ashley for unspecified reasons. Hope all is well with him.

Thanks, I had a double issue on Thurs - I had to take a trip to the doc for a sports related injury, and my recording gear sort of took a dump during the interview. I'm going to transcribe the good bits of the interview and post them on Gun Nuts on Monday.

I have never experienced someone with real chops behaving the way ____ does.

Yup.

The few "real" operators I know, you would never guess what they do for a living. They are quiet, focused, meticulously polite, and very... "observant". They "blend" into social situations in much the way they blend into the background in less friendly circumstances.

The loudmouths seem to fall into one of two camps... either they aren't really what they are loudly claiming to be, or they feel like they have to make sure you know how bad-ass they are for some reason. From what little I know, they don't rise to the top in their field.

I absolutely agree that JJ, Blake, Chris, Maggie, et-all did a great job in their profesionalism on the show. I take even more issue with the fact they are editing things to the point they are making our military guys look this way. I do not feel that bieng in the military has anything to do with it other than thats the way it was edited for perceptions sake. I spent a few years in the military and overall there was a great degree of profesionalism and respect. I just feel they could do a better job of editing that would keep the drama to a level that still has the general public interested with out making our military or competitive shooters looking like they behave like a school yard bully. I am looking at this with the perspective of the shooting community as a whole, not at our sport specifically, because i believe the viewing audiance does not know the differance, to them we are all the same.

Jamie is most likely a Frogman but since he is active duty he can't "Advertise" his real job.

Jamie posted his service history here http://community.history.com/topic/34444

Definitely not a frogman.

Nope I guess not but it appears it was not from a lack of trying. I had the opportunity to hang out with bunch of guys at BUD/s while my friend was going through and I heard many stories of guys fracturing and breaking bones just from the running. I wonder if he made it to 4th phase before he was dropped (Re-read his Bio and it says early phases). Any who, To bad he DOR'd the second time around. Being EOD and his training still make him a badass just not the BADDEST! :-P

Edited by StraightUp_OG