Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you lube up during match?

kreativecid

During break-in of a new 1911 yesterday the slide failed to go into battery a few times due to minimal lube/going dry. That got me thinking: do you lube up the 1911 during match play, or is your SSTK or CDP well worn in by the time you take it to games that it'll make it through 150-ish rounds no problem.

when i strip it down to clean, i relube with slide glide and its usually good to go for quite some time. I will usually drop a few drops of oil on the rail, disconnector notch and around the barrel bushing and barrel hood the night before, rack it a few times to spread it out, then bag it up and forget about it. I do take an oil dropper with me to matches and i think Ive gone to the safe area a couple times to put a couple drops here and there but its never really needed it, just a precaution i guess.

I have reapplied during a match. All I do is go around the slide/frame with a few dry q-tips and then grease it back up. It takes about 5 minutes maybe.

Using slide glide standard I am good for about 300 rounds in the sub freezing or slightly above freezing temps I have been shooting at. Yesterday I had a failure to lock up just past 300 rounds but again that was about 34 degrees. In warm temps I can double that. I can usually "feel" things slowing down. I should mention that I am shooting lead 200gr SWC with titegroup. Look up in the sky and you can probably see my smoke. I got a "smoking" deal on 10k primers/brass and 1k lead bullets so instead of changing dies/powder etc. I just loaded them up using my moly setup and shoot them in practice. The Moly's will run noticeably longer/cleaner though.

One of my guns was very tight when I got it and the gunsmith told me explicitly to lube it between stages, respectively in practice every 20-35 rounds. Plus I was supposed to let it cool down completely every 20-35 rounds. If I remember correctly, for the first 500 or 1000 rounds, so no big deal.

Just a drop into the rails left and right , and onto the rubbing parts, and rack the slide a few times.

Try it - it can't hurt.

Every 750-1000 rounds I wipe off the old slide glide and smear on some new. Before a match, I'll clean the chamber and the ramp (I primarily shoot lead and/or moly), but I try to never arrive with a completely clean gun. I lube pretty generously, and if a glob of lube is going to land on the ramp or somewhere else it might cause a problem, I want it to do so at practice and not on the clock..

I'm with Chris, unless its BONE dry, it shouldn't need it. If you can't make it through a 300 round area match with out lube I would look other things first. Now with that said I do add a couple drops to my rails before every match.

Edited by steel1212

I use Royal Purple synthetic 85W90 gear oil on my 1911s. I clean my primary gun once a year (run anywhere from 4-7k a year through it), and put a few drops on the rails and chamber hood once or twice in between cleanings. I normally run 200gr Precision bullets and Titegroup powder. I can't say it has had a lube related stoppage.

Hurley

I use 3 drops of FP10 before every match in the safe area. With the slide locked back I put a drop on each rail and one on the barrel where it locks up with the slide/bushing (depending on the gun). That routine has worked well for me for years, or at least it hasn't hurt me.

Back when I shot in West Texas, we would occasionally shoot in the middle of a sandstorm. We were ready for it. The target uprights were made out of 2x4's.

Between stages we would try to find a safe area out of the wind, spray down the gun with brake cleaner to knock off the sand and lightly oil. Shoot a stage and repeat.

Bill

I don't like looking like I just raced my car. These people who WD-40 their guns out here or grease up between stages are usually the dirtiest dirty oil splatters all over your jersey, hands, face arms, etc. I only lube if I have to clean due to mud or sand. I clean my gun with a rag, toothbrush, q-tips, and mobil1. 6 drops of mobil 1 and were done. My guns usually run 700-1000 rds before the slide starts slowing down from gumming up. That's a practice and a match or 2 before cleaning.

I use 3 drops of FP10 before every match in the safe area. With the slide locked back I put a drop on each rail and one on the barrel where it locks up with the slide/bushing (depending on the gun). That routine has worked well for me for years, or at least it hasn't hurt me.

Me too

During break-in of a new 1911 yesterday the slide failed to go into battery a few times due to minimal lube/going dry. That got me thinking: do you lube up the 1911 during match play, or is your SSTK or CDP well worn in by the time you take it to games that it'll make it through 150-ish rounds no problem.

I had the same issue with a new 1911 a few years back, but it wasn't caused by the lube. It was caused by it being new, everything was much tighter, and powder residue and gunk would just slow everything down. Oilling, greasing, or whatever is actually detrimental to the gun at this time, cause the oil attracts more gunk, causing it to fail more rapidly and often. Get it broke in good, and the issue will disappear.

If its a major match I will wipe the feed ramp and lube the rails during the lunch break.

I do this, as well as lubing prior to the match, every match. I had an issue at a major match once that I am pretty certain was because I forgot to lube and was running the gun dry. Now, if I don't get some on my glasses during the first stage, I lube again! B)

After cleaning liberal use of Mobil-1 5W30 shoot about 500 rounds before cleaning again. there's as much oil on the gun when I clean it as the day I lubed it. The little needle oilers from Brownell's work great.

I usually don't oil during the match unless a feeding issue pops up then a drop on the feed ramp, this seldom happens.

I like form my 1911 pistols to run wet so there's plenty of oil on them.