Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best way to clean/degrease slide glide?

G34 CORDY

I love slide glide but man is it a pain to remove. What do you guys recommend to degrease the gun and to remove slide glide? I will be cleaning a CZ Shadow Custom (blued) or whatever CZ coats there guns with. So what can I use to clean it without messing up the finish? I have heard about people using brake clean but is that to harsh on the finish?

Hello: I use the cheap brake clean from Walmart but it is little hard on the CZ finish(paint). You can also use varsol and it won't hurt the finsh, it is also called paint thinner. I use it in my parts washer for cleaning car parts,machine parts and guns :cheers: Thanks, Eric

I take a Q-tip soaked in Hoppes #9, and run that all around where the SG is...that loosens it up. Then I'll take a paper towel and wipe off the bulk of it. After that, a couple of quick shots of the polymer safe gun cleaning spray and probably 98% of everything is done. A little follow up with a Q-tip, dental pick and small pieces of rags or patches gets the last little bit. R,

Hoppes #9, a toothbrush and a rag or paper towels work for me.

Edit to add: I only clean my pistols when they "need it."

I use a clean powder (N320) so about once every 1000 or 2000 rounds I will douse it in Hoppe's #9 and go over it with a toothbrush and bore brush but I rarely totally disassemble it all the way. I do run a rag through the mag port to keep it and the mags clean and to make sure the mags fall free, especially if they get dropped in dirt....

Edited by Classic_jon

I can't believe nobody uses Birchwood Gun Scrubber! I buy it by the case. Great aerosol solvent. Evaps quickly. Won't harm finishes. If you are using it on a poly frame gun, they make a synthetic safe version. You can literally blast the crud out, use a qtip to clean the corners and crevices, relube and reassemble. Easy as pie. It's also a hella good wasp spray!

I have a wash tank with kerosene in it. That cleans pistols up quickly, kerosene won't harm finishes. You could purchase a small one from Harbor Freight or just use a plastic bucket with a lid and purchase a gallon of kerosene and a few small brushes. Compressed air or terry cloth shop towels to dry them off.

This would need to be done in the garage or outside.

I'm a fan of Mobil 1 5W30 as a lube, A quart goes a long way, you'll have as much on the gun when you clean it as you put on after the last cleaning. The small needle oiler from Brownell's work great, [084-038-203AD]

;)

Use odorless Minerial Spirits, it will clean without hurting anything.

It doesnt hurt a darn thing to keep your competition guns clean.

Most of the problems I get could have been stopped :( by cleaning the nooks and craanny's

a little better.

Jim/Pa

Sailors :D

I can't believe nobody uses Birchwood Gun Scrubber! I buy it by the case. Great aerosol solvent. Evaps quickly. Won't harm finishes. If you are using it on a poly frame gun, they make a synthetic safe version. You can literally blast the crud out, use a qtip to clean the corners and crevices, relube and reassemble. Easy as pie. It's also a hella good wasp spray!

I love the Birchwood Casey Synthetic Gun Scrubber! When I do a detailed strip and clean, that is what I use. Just hose down the parts until the liquid runs clear. Just need to make sure you oil them good, because that stuff will make every ounce of oil/lube disappear.

auto zone brake cleaner and i mean it has auto zone on it, not any other brand brake cleaner but it will clean it down to metal. you should only use slide glide sparingly on a few select areas with only a dab of slide glide. use other oils and grease for rest of gun... Militec has some very good oil and grease. Mobil one synthetic oil works very well also. i put it in a needle oiler and apply it from there. my .02 cents