Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 930's are starting to leave the shop this week. Some of the options are hi-viz comp. front sight, nordic tube, otto side saddle, replace thumb safty with raised steel one & lightened, trigger job at about 2 3/4 lb. with over traver screw, open up receiver on bottom & cut it foward to the lifter, cut & bevel the forearm & new comp. follower. These new followers are the berries. All barrels are tuned for slug impact@ 40yds.

Are we talking 930's that you've modified, or are you saying Mossberg is starting to ship their version?

Edna is great to deal with. Be sure to ask for her. If you are ordering a turkey barrel without ports don't bother talking with anyone else. I am way stoked to have a factory 24" non-ported barrel. 180.00 including shipping took 3 weeks.

My 930 was a 28" waterfowl model, now I have a backup 28" ported barrel for whenever I want to shoot clays with buddies or if I ever wanted to go open.

Has anyone asked about swapping barrels to a non ported? I called today and the first person had no idea, but said that she would ask a supervisor and if I called back she would have an answer. When I called back i got a guy, Rick x531, that said it was no problem to get the 24 non ported or to swap it at no charge as long as it was not used.

Matt

Edna is great to deal with. Be sure to ask for her. If you are ordering a turkey barrel without ports don't bother talking with anyone else. I am way stoked to have a factory 24" non-ported barrel. 180.00 including shipping took 3 weeks.

My 930 was a 28" waterfowl model, now I have a backup 28" ported barrel for whenever I want to shoot clays with buddies or if I ever wanted to go open.

Has anyone asked about swapping barrels to a non ported? I called today and the first person had no idea, but said that she would ask a supervisor and if I called back she would have an answer. When I called back i got a guy, Rick x531, that said it was no problem to get the 24 non ported or to swap it at no charge as long as it was not used.

Matt

Yes, that is what I did. If you look through this thread, "speak to EDNA" is the key! Bought my gun new, shipped it to Mossberg to her attention 2.5 weeks later had my replacement for the cost of shipping.

Matt

Yes, that is what I did. If you look through this thread, "speak to EDNA" is the key! Bought my gun new, shipped it to Mossberg to her attention 2.5 weeks later had my replacement for the cost of shipping.

Did you have to ship the entire gun or just the barrel?

Matt

Did you have to ship the entire gun or just the barrel?

Shipped just the barrel. While it was gone I did the receiver work.

I'll bite,

Stock lift gate? No slot? I guess opening up the receiver lessons the thumb torture? No finish on the receiver work? Nordic bolt release? Follower? 8+1 or 9+1? Sights?

Is this a Benny custom gun of a preproduction Mossberg?

Stock lift gate, custom follower, have never refinished receiver after opening up on any gun, +5 nordic tube, hi-viz comp sight, trigger job @ 2 3/4 lb w/ overtravel screw, extended safty & lightened, Barrel tuned to shoot slugs to point of aim. Mossberg bolt release buttons are hollow & cannot be taped & drilled. Coming up with a different solution. Inter parts deburred & gas system. Don't need welded lifters if you load right but offer the option if customer wants.

I beveled the loading port on mine and used this Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black Metal Touch Up

with great success. You need to do it while the metal is fresh from filing and sanding and I would recommend a fresh Qtip each time you dip into the bottle.

it works like cold bluing for steel. Its not perfect but it does a great job and one bottle lasts a long time. Several applications and whipping with a dry cotton cloth between coats seams to work best. It does not work as well on some of the harder alloys but the soft Mossberg receiver it worked great for me.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=707229

I like the shotgun/mods Benny has done, mine is similar minus the trigger and internal smoothing. My stock trigger has some creep but breaks at 3 1/2 lbs so it is plenty good for my current skill level. I was just wondering if this will be close to the Mossberg production model?

I'm guessing I need to bend my thumb more at the first knuckle when loading to escape the lifter "JAWS"?

David E.

I have a couple of questions about the 930. Is the 24" Edna barrel threaded for choke tubes?

What sights are on it?

If running a 24" barrel what legnth extension can I run with out it extending past the barrel?

Is there one place to buy all the add ons from? I.E. Extension, spring, follower, bolt knob, barrel/mag clamp?

I can get the 85238 for $475 with the Deer and Field combo. 24" Slug barrel and 28" Field Barrel. Is this as good of a starting point as the Turkey Model?

Thanks

MAHA

I have a couple of questions about the 930. Is the 24" Edna barrel threaded for choke tubes?

What sights are on it?

If running a 24" barrel what legnth extension can I run with out it extending past the barrel?

Is there one place to buy all the add ons from? I.E. Extension, spring, follower, bolt knob, barrel/mag clamp?

I can get the 85238 for $475 with the Deer and Field combo. 24" Slug barrel and 28" Field Barrel. Is this as good of a starting point as the Turkey Model?

Thanks

MAHA

Two local shooters, here in the northeast have bought 28" versions, then had them cut to 22" and threaded for the Mossberg choke tubes. Nordic Components is the source for mag extensions and the parts you mentioned. I believe the factory Turkey model has a ported barrel. Unless you want to use it for double duty, (3 gun + deer season) the combo doesn't make much sense.

Just making sure, most of you are starting with the model 85128 Waterfowl 28" ported model right? I saw another model mentioned on this thread but it comes as a 24" ported which I want to avoid. Benny, what model are you starting with?

Just making sure, most of you are starting with the model 85128 Waterfowl 28" ported model right? I saw another model mentioned on this thread but it comes as a 24" ported which I want to avoid. Benny, what model are you starting with?

If the barrel is ported, a minimum length is 26". That will allow the barrel to be shortened behind the ports and leave the barrel 22" roughly.

The shooters I referred to had about 6" cut from their barrels. That allowed the barrel to be cleaned up, with a post for the rib at the end. A 24" barrel would finish off at 20" once the ports were removed.

This is the model I started with and had it cut to 22"

One of the 930's that Dan is talking about is mine, it started as an SPX. I ditched the ghost ring sight, found a 28" ported barrel on line, had it cut down to 22" and threaded.

And I love it, just need more time behind it.

Edited by edmorseiii