Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

O.K. so far I have completely disasembled it & put it back together, it's all large simple parts. Installed a nordic 9rs tube & clamp, opened up bottom of receiver. Has a large bolt button from factory. Gas system is simple & rugged. First thing I noticed when loading is how easy it loads, way easier than my benelli. Single lifter like benelli.Gun runs 2 1/2 dr.--1 1/18--7 1/2 shot very easy even off shoulder. Recoil is softer. Have some more testing but should be ready for benning. Only about 100rds so far but jerry said he has over 2200 through his. Time will tell but so far I really like it.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Benny,

Did you cut down the barrel at all? If not, curious to know the exact model of 930 you started with. It's definitely on my list...

I was thinking the same thing. Their website only lists 26" & 28" with chokes and most of their barrels have porting.

Those adjustable fiber optic sites look promising on the Turkey guns.

Edited by jtischauser

Benny, when you get the non ported barrels PLEASE let me know .....

I LOVE my 930

I have taken the factory 28inch that came with it and cut it back to around 22.25 ... BUT now I have a cylinder bore only gun.

I believe that Mossberg sells a 24inch turkey barrel in a camo pattern for the 930 that has a vent rib, sights, and threaded already. BUT those barrels are hard to find.

Ill be at Benning and Area 6 with the ol girl and see how it does.

What button and bolt handle are you using? I tried to drill out my button so I could put a homemade larger one screwed to it but the damn button is harder than a preacher.

Benny, when you get the non ported barrels PLEASE let me know .....

I LOVE my 930

I have taken the factory 28inch that came with it and cut it back to around 22.25 ... BUT now I have a cylinder bore only gun.

I believe that Mossberg sells a 24inch turkey barrel in a camo pattern for the 930 that has a vent rib, sights, and threaded already. BUT those barrels are hard to find.

Ill be at Benning and Area 6 with the ol girl and see how it does.

What button and bolt handle are you using? I tried to drill out my button so I could put a homemade larger one screwed to it but the damn button is harder than a preacher.

That's the info I needed!!!! I just emailed Mossberg about a 22-24" vent-rib, fiber-optic, variable choke barrel... A 22" would be SWEET! I'd love to have a custom one, but I'm in the wrong tax bracket...

Jeff

O.K. so far I have completely disasembled it & put it back together, it's all large simple parts. Installed a nordic 9rs tube & clamp, opened up bottom of receiver. Has a large bolt button from factory. Gas system is simple & rugged. First thing I noticed when loading is how easy it loads, way easier than my benelli. Single lifter like benelli.Gun runs 2 1/2 dr.--1 1/18--7 1/2 shot very easy even off shoulder. Recoil is softer. Have some more testing but should be ready for benning. Only about 100rds so far but jerry said he has over 2200 through his. Time will tell but so far I really like it.

How does this gun (after you are done with it) compare to one of your custom M2's?

Pat

Benny - one thing I noticed on mine - is how thin the factory magazine tube is. At the point where it mates with a tube extension. It has a very sharp edge that dings very easily.

When I got mine - with the factory follower (which also has a very sharp edge and VERY tight tolerances, it would tend to hang up in between the choate extension and the factory tube.

It seems to me that the factory tube does not need to be so thin at this point, and the extension to me designed in such a way that it feeds smother into this transition area.

I replaced my follower with an aluminum high vis from Brownells, and it has not been a problem since. Just curious what your take is on this?

It's too bad about the lack of screw in chokes on this gun. I would have wanted more than just cylinder. Leaning Benelli M4 instead (not going to be a 3-gun weapon).

EDIT: Just realized I ASSUMED you where talking about the SPX model that everyone else is talking about.

Edited by Rynnäkökivääri 62

I LOVE my 930

Threading the barrel for screw in choke tubes (and probably the same Mossberg tubes it started with) is an easy fix if you know a gunsmith with the tooling and skills to use it.

DSCN0050.jpg