Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

I have a couple of questions about the 930. Is the 24" Edna barrel threaded for choke tubes?

What sights are on it?

If running a 24" barrel what legnth extension can I run with out it extending past the barrel?

Is there one place to buy all the add ons from? I.E. Extension, spring, follower, bolt knob, barrel/mag clamp?

I can get the 85238 for $475 with the Deer and Field combo. 24" Slug barrel and 28" Field Barrel. Is this as good of a starting point as the Turkey Model?

Thanks

MAHA

This is the model I started with this week. I also ordered the 24" non-ported bbl. from Mossberg with vent rib, my choice of choke and fiber optic sight. (while ordering, Edna mentioned wanting to go see a 3 gun match, but I didn't know of any off hand in Texas...maybe someone else would???) I plan to sell the 24" rifled bbl from the combo on gunbroker to recoup some cost since I hunt with a rifle. I ordered everything you mentioned, except the follower and bbl clamp, from Nordic Components. Brownells was just a little less for those two items. Once everything is finished I will have two configurations to use depending on what "game" I want to play or hunt. :ph34r:

If the rifled bbl goes for a decent price I'll feel like I did pretty good on overall cost.

Testing things out at the range today I discovered that I will definitely need to address the Chinese thumb-cuff of a lifter somehow. I may send the trigger pack off to C-rums.

All you guys that are posting about your mods to this model, thanks. After I get the time to take a stone and file to mine I'll contribute as well. The trigger will definitely need some work. Anyone have pictures of an overtravel stop?

Edited by Kevin G.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will post this again......if you are buying a new Mossberg 930 and it is UNFIRED, then there ia a chance that EDNA can EXCHANGE your barrel FREE of charge for a NON PORTED version. You have to call and ask first and if she gives the ok then you have to ship your NEW barrel to her and in about two weeks she will ship out the replacement. THERE IS NO NEED TO BUY A LONGER BARREL AND THEN HAVE IT CUT OFF AND RETHREADED LOCALLY TO A 24" MODEL. I paid less than $10 to ship my barrel to Texas and they paid shipping back to me. The barrels are available, but you have to ask for EDNA. Everyone else is clueless it seems.

I will post this again......if you are buying a new Mossberg 930 and it is UNFIRED, then there ia a chance that EDNA can EXCHANGE your barrel FREE of charge for a NON PORTED version. You have to call and ask first and if she gives the ok then you have to ship your NEW barrel to her and in about two weeks she will ship out the replacement. THERE IS NO NEED TO BUY A LONGER BARREL AND THEN HAVE IT CUT OFF AND RETHREADED LOCALLY TO A 24" MODEL. I paid less than $10 to ship my barrel to Texas and they paid shipping back to me. The barrels are available, but you have to ask for EDNA. Everyone else is clueless it seems.

I requested an exchange and Edna said they are no longer able to offer that.

Phil,

Of the two shooters I referred to, Ed had purchased his 28" barrel used and put it on an SPX. He couldn't swap a uesed barrel, could he? Supermoto got his 930 the week before a match he was planning on shooting. He wanted to get familiar with the gun, and make sure it ran. The person that cut his barrel and threaded it, was very obliging and did it while he hung around the shop. (Not something done very often, trust me) Supermoto does lack patience sometimes :roflol: If in the same boat, I'd have the barrel cut too. Both guys got the gun set up the way they wanted in a very short time, and no shipping.

Supermoto does lack patience sometimes :roflol:

I don't lack patience sometimes... I lack it all the time. :goof:

The Remington reduced recoil slugs are dead on at 50 yards for me. I guess I'll keep the Centurions for a close up slug stage

The Remington reduced recoil slugs are dead on at 50 yards for me. I guess I'll keep the Centurions for a close up slug stage

Mike,

You'll find slugs to similar to .22LR in respect, that every gun has one or two that it really likes, the rest the gun kind of tolerates. If the Centurians shot good groups, I'd find a way to zero them.

I have a couple of questions about the 930. Is the 24" Edna barrel threaded for choke tubes?

What sights are on it?

If running a 24" barrel what legnth extension can I run with out it extending past the barrel?

Is there one place to buy all the add ons from? I.E. Extension, spring, follower, bolt knob, barrel/mag clamp?

I can get the 85238 for $475 with the Deer and Field combo. 24" Slug barrel and 28" Field Barrel. Is this as good of a starting point as the Turkey Model?

Thanks

MAHA

I started with 28" waterfowl ($440). Got the 24" turkey unported via Edna. Added a Wilson follower, Nordic+4 tube,a cheap clamp, a sling plate, and the SPX bolt knob (the nordic tube is less a shell lengths or less shorter than the barrel). Between the two barrels I ended up with half a dozen chokes and a couple of sets of the clip on sights, but that may have been an oversight on someone's part. If you could sell both barrels the Deer and Field combo sounds like a better way to go. I think you could get everything from Mossberg and Midway.

Hey Phil,

How are you doing?

Unfortunately, the barrels can no longer be exchanged anymore:( . Hey and thanks for your compliments :] very nice of ya'll !

What sights are on it?

Thanks

MAHA

I started with 28" waterfowl ($440). Got the 24" turkey unported via Edna. Added a Wilson follower, Nordic+4 tube,a cheap clamp, a sling plate, and the SPX bolt knob (the nordic tube is less a shell lengths or less shorter than the barrel). Between the two barrels I ended up with half a dozen chokes and a couple of sets of the clip on sights, but that may have been an oversight on someone's part. If you could sell both barrels the Deer and Field combo sounds like a better way to go. I think you could get everything from Mossberg and Midway.

By the way this is Edna :) my middle name is yvette

Edna from Mossberg? If that's you, thanks for all the help you've given to 930 owners. Mossberg has an awesome shotgun, if they would just offer it with an unported barrel from the factory they would have a huge hit with 3 gun shooters. I can't stop bragging about mine to the local guys, I think they're getting sick of it :D

Hi Edna / Yvette

Nice to see you on the Board. Thanks for all you have done to help us out in the past. You could be empolyee of the month if you can convince the Bean Counters to even just offer

a non ported gun even with no other changes.

Time to start offering them in the 24" non Ported bbl on the shelf at a dealer near You.

The Rest of the Shotgun MFG wish they had the opportunity to just offer what the shooter wants by simply omitting one operation during MFG and adding a SKU to the Line UP

rather than developing a whole new shotgun.

You get my Vote Either way.

Dan

Hello Edna/Yvette,

So the real question is, when are you going to start shooting 3-gun?

The truth is 3-gun matches are few and far between here in CT.

Thanks for trying to help us out!

David E.

Great question! actually i do want to try it, just dont know where here in Texas to at least go watch. ;)

Check this link for the Texas Multi-gun Championships. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=107216 That's going to be a BIG match. You'll see the best shooters there with the best equipment.

Not sure where you are located in Texas (all gun websites are blocked at my work except for this one), but I live in El Paso and everyone from Austin acts like it's the center of the universe so you probably aren't too far away.

Check this link for the Texas Multi-gun Championships. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=107216 That's going to be a BIG match. You'll see the best shooters there with the best equipment.

Not sure where you are located in Texas (all gun websites are blocked at my work except for this one), but I live in El Paso and everyone from Austin acts like it's the center of the universe so you probably aren't too far away.

Thanks! I will check it out. I'm located in Eagle Pass. Like 7 hours away from Austin or less.

Yvette, you really should come on out to the Larue three gun. And NEVER turn down an invite to shoot with Benny.

Benny, I really wish I could have talked you into shooting that stage with pistol only! Would have been one of those epic stages thats talked about for years! Sorry you couldn't finish the match.

ETA: Yvette, your only 4.5 hours from the match!!! Head up 57 to San Antonio, then take 281 north to Burnet. Turn right on 29, to around 4 miles past Bertram. Thursday afternoon is registration, I could buy you dinner that evening.

Edited by Cyclic

Can we still order the barrel?

I am chomping at the bit to buy a 930 and want to make sure that I can get the 24" barrel.

Thanks

MAHA

Yes, we still offer the barrel, but...it's a process of 2-3 weeks.

Edna from Mossberg? If that's you, thanks for all the help you've given to 930 owners. Mossberg has an awesome shotgun, if they would just offer it with an unported barrel from the factory they would have a huge hit with 3 gun shooters. I can't stop bragging about mine to the local guys, I think they're getting sick of it :D

Yes, it is me Edna :) You are very welcome! But hey thank you all also! I'm with you on that it would be sweet if it were to be offered with the complete firearm. Hopefully, since I have brought it up alot they will take it into consideration. But lets hope so. Hey its okay to bragg! Its Mossberg your talking about :D!

Yvette, I'm like 3 hrs from you.I practice at the commanche ranch which is on hwy 277 about 30 min from you towards carrizo springs. You can call & come down here also & shoot with us.

Not far at all..thanks for the invite :)

I am ready to buy a Mossberg, but really dont want to go thru the 2-3 week hassle of ordering a barrel, then selling the barrel i have. I will not break even, so a $500 shottie will cost me a bit more. Mossberg really needs to jump on this.

Edited by gotigers

Yvette, you really should come on out to the Larue three gun. And NEVER turn down an invite to shoot with Benny.

Benny, I really wish I could have talked you into shooting that stage with pistol only! Would have been one of those epic stages thats talked about for years! Sorry you couldn't finish the match.

ETA: Yvette, your only 4.5 hours from the match!!! Head up 57 to San Antonio, then take 281 north to Burnet. Turn right on 29, to around 4 miles past Bertram. Thursday afternoon is registration, I could buy you dinner that evening.

So when is the actual competition??? Awsome! in San Antonio? or what city exactly? I'm very interested to learn about the sport.I doubt it on a weekday :( I have work then practice.

The Larue 3 gun is April 15th through 17th. Sign in is thursday the 14th. So we'll be out there shooting friday, saturday and sunday till around lunch. It's about 45 minutes north of Austin depending on start point/reference. On the map it is located on Hwy 29 between Bertram and Liberty Hill. I basically gave you directions to get here. Make sure you bring a camera and show Mossberg just how big 3-gunning is. You could try and take friday off for market research. Which means you could drive down thursday evening, get a free dinner. Overnight at a local hotel, and up bright and early to witness some shooting. Take lots of pictures, make sure you wear a Mossberg Factory shirt, and bring some swag for the crowd. Stay as late as you want, Larue provides food all day. Once you are completely tired and thinking about what guns you need to build/buy so you can compete/shoot with us next time, you can head home. Once home a full report should be typed up and presented up the chain. You guys know just how kick az the 930 is right? Listening to the three gun crowd will take 930 sales to a much higher level than you can imagine.

But, no matter what, come down atleast one day and enjoy the shooting and friendliness by our community.

Edited by Cyclic

I am ready to buy a Mossberg, but really dont want to go thru the 2-3 week hassle of ordering a barrel, then selling the barrel i have. I will not break even, so a $500 shottie will cost me a bit more. Mossberg really needs to jump on this.

Look up GunCat on this forum. He cut down my barrel to 22" and rethreaded it for the factory chokes. He had it turned around and on it's way back to me the day after he got it.