Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

I started to make a smart a$$ remark about Mossberg....then I remembered that not too long ago (until Rich Cole and Brownells got into the mix) getting parts for Benelli and Beretta guns would take divine intervention… :blink:

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, Mossberg's service leaves a lot to be desired. I called, waited 15min to talk to a rep, and then got put on hold so long it transferred me back to the main line. I wasn't in the mood to wait again. If you call, I recommend you immediately ask the name of who you are speaking to and what their direct line is in case you get disconnected.

I wanted to order a spare lifter (carrier?) to send to c-rums. Anyone had success getting this part from Mossberg? Someone should just make an aftermarket lifter for $85-100. I'm sure they would do a decent business.

Along the line of aftermarket replacement parts, has anyone tried the replacement follower that midway sells? Any reason other than the stainless/red looks?

I'm in the same boat. I called Mossberg Customer Service, they want to know the serial number of the my 930 JM. After I gave it to the CS rep, he tells me he can't sell me a spare carrier (Mossberg's term for the lifter) because the JM series is new, they aren't selling parts for it yet. I would rather send a spare lifter to C Rums and have the original handy just in case.

Anyone tried a regular 930 lifter in their JM series?

Wow, Mossberg's service leaves a lot to be desired. I called, waited 15min to talk to a rep, and then got put on hold so long it transferred me back to the main line. I wasn't in the mood to wait again. If you call, I recommend you immediately ask the name of who you are speaking to and what their direct line is in case you get disconnected.

I wanted to order a spare lifter (carrier?) to send to c-rums. Anyone had success getting this part from Mossberg? Someone should just make an aftermarket lifter for $85-100. I'm sure they would do a decent business.

Along the line of aftermarket replacement parts, has anyone tried the replacement follower that midway sells? Any reason other than the stainless/red looks?

I'm in the same boat. I called Mossberg Customer Service, they want to know the serial number of the my 930 JM. After I gave it to the CS rep, he tells me he can't sell me a spare carrier (Mossberg's term for the lifter) because the JM series is new, they aren't selling parts for it yet. I would rather send a spare lifter to C Rums and have the original handy just in case.

Most likely its the same thing

Check this thread WAY back there and find the contact info for Joe at Mossberg. He was very responsive and helpful. We have to understand they are not used to dealing with people like us. Most of their stuff is bought, shot, and never heard from again. Based on the look of a lot of the stuff they sell, i bet a bunch of it never gets shot at all! I don't think the "tachticool" guys call and bother them.

As to the lifter - it is an authorized repairer part only. Try ordering one through a service center. Joe might also be able to help. I just found his email - jzakher@maverickarms.com. Good luck!

Edited by Mark Woodfield

• 2 weeks later...

From looking at 2 930s side by side, I can't see any difference between the JM and a regular 930 lifter/carrier/whatever. But like is stated above according to the manual everything in the trigger assembly is a factory repair only deal.

Got my 930 JM 22" the other day and spent a couple hours cleaning out all of the packing grease. Going through each part piece by piece and the "rear shell latch" looks like crap. Must have been a bad casting or something or it's been buried in we ground for a year and they knocked off the rust and refinished it. :surprise::angry2: wiping a patch over it would literally shred the patch is how rough it was. I called Mossberg and asked if I sent them a picture would they send me a new one and the CS rep said yes. We shall see and like a dummy I didn't get a name. Finally shot it today, ran great so far about 75 birdshot and 15 slugs for POI.

Edited by shooting for M

I shot 50 shells on trap with good results, 9 slugs and 9 buck. It's hard to say with the POI on slugs, should have shot from a rest, but it seems to shoot 4-6" high on slugs at 25 yards. Not a single glitch or hiccup, but I'd already cleaned the grease out before running it the first time. So far I'm super pleased and love it. I'll likely get the lifter welded as the only major modification I do.

Edited by ChrisMcCracken

Mine is still jamming ocassionally, tried some expensive shotshells, less problems, but still hiccupped. looking at the feed ramp area of the chamber, looks like maybe some of it was missed. good angle from 8oclock to about 5 oclock, but pretty square from 4 to 5, thinking about trying to clean that up a little and break the edge and smooth it up some. just hits the bottom of the shell on the bottom of the chamber and catches. Anyone have a good pic of what that area looks like on theirs (that runs good anyhow). my round count is about 140 now.

I want one of these. Is there a reason to go with the 10 shot one over the 9 for our sport?

My friend has a regular 930 18.5" barrel and I like how it handles. I don't think i would like the 24" model. The 8+1 22" model looks great.

I want one of these. Is there a reason to go with the 10 shot one over the 9 for our sport?

My friend has a regular 930 18.5" barrel and I like how it handles. I don't think i would like the 24" model. The 8+1 22" model looks great.

Just picked up an 8+1 (22") last weekend and being a 3Gun newbie...It is a great gun.

Just FYI, I was function testing my 22" today and lost count loading. It fit 9+1! I was pretty excited, but I guess I need to make a plug for those 8+1 or else matches.

after two emails to Mossberg with no response, I was able to look at another Mossberg 930 and compare them side by side, my carrier stuck out the bottom a little further than the SPX model I was comparing to, and the carrier in mine was obviously sitting off to the left, looking at it with the gun loading port up. it was hitting on the bolt release. After playing with the SPX, his didnt touch any part inside the gun. My JM was jamming about every 3rd rd. Frustrated, but at least with a solid direction to go in, when I got home, I tore the carrier out and started tweaking on the arms, moving he carrier to the center of the loading port, it was still brushing the bolt release, but took it outside and shot 40 rds. Initial jam on live rd tossed into the ejection port and hitting the bolt release, but only one and I tried 20 after that, then fired all the shells, various kinds, and not one jam while firing. I only had about 20 min to tinker with it at the time. This morning, spent about and hour fine tuning the carrier position by a series of bends in the carrier arms, now the carrier misses the bolt release, and moves freely. the bolt cycles faster. I tried dozens of manual loads, tossed the rounds into the load port at various angles and could not make it malfunction. shot 75 rds of various types of ammo. the only malfunction I had, was a fail to eject with the previous problem ammo, bulk back winchester universal 7 1/2 1 1/8oz load @ 1200 fps from wally world. it just didnt come out of the chamber completely, all the federals and remington cheap ammo, ran without a hitch. so i went and bought 10 boxes of Remington 1oz, 7 1/2 @ 1290fps and am comfortable that I have corrected the problem.

Not sure what is the carrier. Is it the shell lifter that was bent? Seems pretty thick steel. Wonder how assembler at Mossberg did that, and more importantly, how it was missed?

My JM was dirty, as if it was function tested. Wonder how yours slipped through.

Glad to hear you diagnosed and fixed the problem. Probably would have taken a lot longer if you sent it in.

Mark

dont have any good pics of the before, i have one that is off angle and doesnt show it real well, so far no after pics, and im not good at posting them, if you like, I can send it directly do you. the back of the carrier was over left, near the trigger guard, and pushed right towards the barrel, if it was resting withough any force on it from the bolt catch, it ran down the entire left side of the loading port, heavily engaging the bolt release bar. When I got done tweaking it every which way, the entire carrier is now centered and just clears the bolt catch bar at rest. I can push the carrier in and it does not touch the bar anymore. truing it up cured the off angle feed problem. Originally, it was so far off, it was leaving a mark from dragging on the inside of the receiver. it also was dragging so hard on the bolt release and the side of the bolt, that it was slowing down the cycling of the gun. I couldnt believe how much snappier the bolt was, when I hit the release. curing the left/right thing seemed to minimize how far the carrier stuck out the receiver also.

Not sure what is the carrier. Is it the shell lifter that was bent? Seems pretty thick steel. Wonder how assembler at Mossberg did that, and more importantly, how it was missed?

My JM was dirty, as if it was function tested. Wonder how yours slipped through.

Glad to hear you diagnosed and fixed the problem. Probably would have taken a lot longer if you sent it in.

Mark

yes, carrier is the lifter, seems that diff manufacturers call the same parts diff names. I have referred to it as the lifter several times and depending on who I talk to, they either correct me or ask for clarification, sorry for confusion.

had to fit my barrel to the reciever as my barrel is cant to the right side. Instead of me sending it put to mossberg,

i just went ahead and filed the square notched at the bottom end of the barrel till it lined up. now that it is, went out and shot the gun but poi shifted.

just need to weld and make sure it fits snuggly. hope this helps some of you.

Bought a 24" JM930 yesterday afternoon. This gun feels and handles very similar to my SLP. I like it so far....o except for that I almost tore my thumbnail off doing practice reloads with it last night. The carrier wil be off to C-Rums tomorrow.

Has anyone seen some horrible PI on reduced recoil Remington slugs with these guns. Mine is incredibly 4 inches right and close to 6 inches high at fifty yards. I did add an extended IC choke but don't see how that can be the problem. No doubt I have aging years but any ideas on why it would be so far off. It is brand new.

Has anyone seen some horrible PI on reduced recoil Remington slugs with these guns. Mine is incredibly 4 inches right and close to 6 inches high at fifty yards. I did add an extended IC choke but don't see how that can be the problem. No doubt I have aging years but any ideas on why it would be so far off. It is brand new.

What are you using for sights? If you are using just the front bead you need to check you fit. If you are using multiple bead sights, like a turkey sight, check to see where it hits at 16yds and adjust accordingly.

I check for fit at 16 yds by firing multiple rds at a Target dot until a definite hole emerges and see where the hole is in relation to the target.

What are you using for sights? If you are using just the front bead you need to check you fit. If you are using multiple bead sights, like a turkey sight, check to see where it hits at 16yds and adjust accordingly.

I check for fit at 16 yds by firing multiple rds at a Target dot until a definite hole emerges and see where the hole is in relation to the target.

I'm running the HiViz turkey sights an even on the lowest setting my slugs were hitting quite high at 50yds. I swapped in the down .250 stock spacer and am hoping that will correct the issue. I see significantly less rib than with the zero stock spacer. I won't get to the range to check it until Tues night.