Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

Im thinking that the sighting system needs to stay the same the entire match... Might be up to the match director but the local matches I RO wouldnt allow sight system changes on the shotgun.

http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/truglo-tg950-trubead-universal-turkey-sight-p-17267.html

Best price I've seen, even with shipping.

Realize the discussion is about slugs, but can this set up be used effectively for the shot portion, and if not,

does anyone remove the rear sight during a match?

Mark

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried the tension re=setting on the tube and barrel clamp with no real discernible changes in slug accuracy. I then purchased a set of TRU•POINT™ XTREME TURKEY / DEER UNIVERSAL, SKU# TG960 from Truglo, and that did the trick. The raised front sight, and the ability to adjust windage has made the Mossberg a real competitors choice. At the first three gun of the year this past Sunday, I placed 8 out of eight slugs from 50 yards to 25 yards right where I aimed the gun. (Didn't say I pointed well, but that is another story.)

The course also combined steel plates, and poppers which threw a clay bird in the air also. No misses except for my fault. I am very pleased with the performance of the weapon. I watched two Benellis and two Saigas flat out stop running, and several jams, but the Mossberg never missed a beat. Very happy with the platform. I would not buy the sights from Optics Planet however, they indicate they are in stock, but lo and behold, they did not have them and I was not informed of this until a week later. Crap service.

I tried the tension re=setting on the tube and barrel clamp with no real discernible changes in slug accuracy. I then purchased a set of TRU•POINT™ XTREME TURKEY / DEER UNIVERSAL, SKU# TG960 from Truglo, and that did the trick. The raised front sight, and the ability to adjust windage has made the Mossberg a real competitors choice. At the first three gun of the year this past Sunday, I placed 8 out of eight slugs from 50 yards to 25 yards right where I aimed the gun. (Didn't say I pointed well, but that is another story.)

The course also combined steel plates, and poppers which threw a clay bird in the air also. No misses except for my fault. I am very pleased with the performance of the weapon. I watched two Benellis and two Saigas flat out stop running, and several jams, but the Mossberg never missed a beat. Very happy with the platform. I would not buy the sights from Optics Planet however, they indicate they are in stock, but lo and behold, they did not have them and I was not informed of this until a week later. Crap service.

Is it any more difficult shooting clays or shot on target with full sights? Does it slow you down looking for alignment or do you just use the front sight the same as always? I may end up doing the same to mine.

anyone know what brand and model of FO sight is on the JM Pro, perhaps there is a taller version of it available. I targeted mine last week with 3 kinds of slugs, all were 8-10" high at 25 and 50 yards. At 50 one of the reduced recoil federal's started printing right a couple of inches. Looking at the current platform, it would take a very tall front sight to be able to put and use a rear sight on. the stock front sight is also very wide, I like a thinner setup.

The sights I added from Truglo even come with two rear sight, a twin dot set up and a ghost ring which also has the green dots on the sides. It is really a great system, had not problem acquiring the clay birds at all. This will get your Mossberg on the target fast, and make it accurate for your needs. I was using Remington low recoil slugs BTW.

The sights are worth every dime. The day was cloudy and the visibility from the red optic and green dots were allowing me to pick up the 50 yard paper target, white plates, and the birds coming up. It was good enough that I could shoot a popper, move to the next popper, hit it and come back to the clay bird and hit it before it broke up on the ground.

I added a riser under my front sight. I used 1/8" Aluminum for a trial run since it is easy to work with. Drilled and tapped the rib, screwed it down and went and played. I planned on changing it to steel, but i'm just too lazy i guess. The spacer allowed me install the rear sight riser and adjust the POI dead on at 50yds. Looks a little bit ghetto, but who cares! I like shooting my ghetto rig and beating the guys with the high dollar guns. Not that it happens often, but it has happened.

100 or so rounds today in a match with my JM 590 and no issues at all. Matter of fact I ran just as good as a couple of other makes of shotgun. May send my lifter out to C-Rum soon but so far very happy. I was running cheap Federal 1 1/8oz 7.5 loads and everything cycled 100%.

I tried to order a 22 or 24 inch one from my local dealer. They can'f find one. Does anyone know of any wholesalers that offer them?

I had favorites on 5 dealers and ended up buying from Gallery of Guns as soon as one showed up. From what I have seen you have to jump as soon as one comes in stock and that is not often due to the value at the price point (and political reasons).

Hey folks...been a while since I was on.....got wrapped up in other things and had to take a break from my shotgun project. But, I finally finished my 930 build and wanted to post some pics. I started with a 930 waterfowler paid $525.....then I bought a 24" non-ported barrel from Joe at Mossberg another $170....Just added the Choate 9+1 extension and Choate bolt handle and a Briley light modified extende choke tube for another $107 bucks.....so, now I am into it for $802.....Wish I had known about the JM model when I started but I had already bought the waterfowler....No biggie though...part of the fun is in the build for me....Anyway, it turned out great...I know I will get several folks saying I should have gotten the Nordic tube.....But, i have used Choate in the past and had no problems and needed to save money wherever I could....When I first put the Choate tube on, it was hanging up about 3 shells from the end hand cycling.....I pulled the spring and bent the end going into the follower and now have np problems hand cycling....Haven't had a chance to fire it yet...gonna do that this weekend....wish me luck and here are the pics.

post-35830-0-00676900-1339103171_thumb.j

Does anyone have a link to take-down instructions for the trigger section on the 930? Specifically I have seen a few posts where all I need to send to C-Rum is the shell lifter, not the whole trigger assembly. I have never taken one down to that extent and do not want to do it by trial and error. That reminds me I need to contact C-Rum to see what the lead time is and get on his schedule.

Does anyone have a link to take-down instructions for the trigger section on the 930? Specifically I have seen a few posts where all I need to send to C-Rum is the shell lifter, not the whole trigger assembly. I have never taken one down to that extent and do not want to do it by trial and error. That reminds me I need to contact C-Rum to see what the lead time is and get on his schedule.

There are 2 pins holding the trigger group in place. Cock hammer, place on safe, close bolt. Knock out pins, pull out trigger group. Move carrier up and down, and you will see it pivots on a pin. Pay attention to spring and arm that

apply pressure to carrier. Simply pull out pivot pin and store spring and arm. Send off carrier... If you are concerned you might forget how to reassemble, take a phone picture of assembly with spring in place.

Mark

This may help: Shotgun World Forum ;)

Later,

Chuck

PS: There is also good stuff over at http: Mossberg Owners Forum

Woohoo!!!....finally got all my 3 gun gear together....Mossberg 930 with choate 9+1 extension and clamp, choate bolt handle, Tru-Glo FO front sight, and opened up the poading port.....S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm 5" Pistol with no mods yet....S&W M&P 15 with no mods yet.....Double Alpha Belt, California Competiton Works 4 shell caddies, Bladetec M&P holster that I got (FREE) with my 9mm range and carry kit, HSGI Taco pistol and rifle mag pouches (these are great...they will work with any rifle or pistol mags AK, AR, 308 Magpuls, double stack, single stack, etc.)...Gonna get a 8 round 3 gun gear side saddle for the shotgun and I think I will be ready to roll....Now, just need somewhere around Dothan, Alabama to shoot.....suggestions will be appreciated......Thanks

post-35830-0-38260600-1339960804_thumb.j

post-35830-0-58177900-1339960831_thumb.j

post-35830-0-47849300-1339960882_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered some spares from Mossberg a couple months ago and they finally arrived.

It looks like they either shipped me the wrong latch or they upgraded this part since I bought mine. (Picture attached)

Any thoughts?

ETA: Checked the invoice. It's a rear shell stop for a 935. Called them up and they're shipping me the correct part.

post-22399-0-60985700-1340676254_thumb.j

Edited by GTHappy

Well, now that I have finally made it through this entire thread (started reading last week a few pages at a time), I guess I will add my impressions. I found a "deal" on here for one of these shotguns and scooped it up for $575 delivered. It came with a set of HiViz sights still in package and the Nordic +1 cap on the end of the tube. It's the 22" version, but now with the same capacity as the 24". I think that everything about this model is pretty slick so far. I've only had time to get about 40-50 rounds through it at this point, so I'm still forming my opinion.

I am having the issue where tossing a shell into the ejection port of the locked open gun and hitting the bolt release leads to running the round up against the rear of the chamber and not into it. I saw where "Smokecloud" had this issue and remedied it by tweaking the arms of the carrier/lifter. I thought of easing the edge into the chamber a little. Anyone else still seeing this and correcting in other ways? Anyone come up a with a way to get that super-sticky recoil pad to shoulder a little easier without hanging on shirt, etc.?

I've just recently finished setting up an SX3 and been shooting it for about a year now. This def gives it a run for its money and I have less than half as much in 930. The SX3 is a bit lighter though.

Well, now that I have finally made it through this entire thread (started reading last week a few pages at a time), I guess I will add my impressions. I found a "deal" on here for one of these shotguns and scooped it up for $575 delivered. It came with a set of HiViz sights still in package and the Nordic +1 cap on the end of the tube. It's the 22" version, but now with the same capacity as the 24". I think that everything about this model is pretty slick so far. I've only had time to get about 40-50 rounds through it at this point, so I'm still forming my opinion.

I am having the issue where tossing a shell into the ejection port of the locked open gun and hitting the bolt release leads to running the round up against the rear of the chamber and not into it. I saw where "Smokecloud" had this issue and remedied it by tweaking the arms of the carrier/lifter. I thought of easing the edge into the chamber a little. Anyone else still seeing this and correcting in other ways? Anyone come up a with a way to get that super-sticky recoil pad to shoulder a little easier without hanging on shirt, etc.?

I've just recently finished setting up an SX3 and been shooting it for about a year now. This def gives it a run for its money and I have less than half as much in 930. The SX3 is a bit lighter though.

I wrapped electrical tape around the outside edges of the recoil pad. That made it a bit less likely to catch on my shirt and it makes it a little easier to pick it out if there are a couple of JMs in the squad.

Well I got the rear shell stop finally and put it in today. Started out good enough but then started locking up again....the carrier is getting stuck on the shell stop,looked at the carrier and its slightly bent again so I tried to straighten it out. I fire some slugs and wouldn't cycle correctly so Iam sending it to Triangle Shooting Sports. Anyone else send theirs out? Fingers crossed. Their going to fix the 8 inch high @ 50 yards too.

Well I got the rear shell stop finally and put it in today. Started out good enough but then started locking up again....the carrier is getting stuck on the shell stop,looked at the carrier and its slightly bent again so I tried to straighten it out. I fire some slugs and wouldn't cycle correctly so Iam sending it to Triangle Shooting Sports. Anyone else send theirs out? Fingers crossed. Their going to fix the 8 inch high @ 50 yards too.

Yep, sent my 930 to Bennie because it would shoot one and dump the next round out the bottom. He fixed it, did some other stuff and now it runs like a scalded jackrabbit. It turned out that there was a bent pin on the shell stop/release. He replaced that and now it runs 100%. Thank you Mr. Bennie, I've actually gotten to finish a match where the gun ran flawlessly. Still finished really low, but hey, I'm still learning.

Ah that sounds familiar as well. The shell wasn't even going into the chamber area lol Glad to hear that yours runs. What was the turn around time? Man I'am looking forward to getting to finish a match lol