Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Explain Why You like shooting Revolvers Or

IPSC_PRO

I had a big K boom with my open glock and started shooting my old 610 while the glock was down. I forgot how much fun it is beating autos with a revo, I don't finish on top overall with a revo but usually better than half way. And besides when I show up at some clubs some people say "not larry I hate getting beat by a revo" and the open gun is running, but is in the safe and has not been to a match in 6 months.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

1) Revolvers are fun!

2) I hate chasing brass (aka my little friends).

3) Growing up, revolvers were what a real guns looked like.

4) I like the challenge. Running a revolver well requires more practice and dedication.

5) Revolvers start more conversations at matches (ymmv).

6) Revolvers function with a wider variety of ammunition than do some autos without playing with recoil springs.

7) I can live with a loaded revolver on a daily basis more easily than an auto; no worries about chewing up ammo by loading/unloading; usually can look at a revolver to see if it is loaded; no worries about bad magazines.

8) Revolvers do not require a lot of lube and do not need to be run "wet."

9) A fine revolver is a thing of beauty whereas some autos are just things.

10) I am proud of the work that I did on my 625, and it runs smoothly and reliably; I am but a beginner compared to many on this forum, but my 625 is the slickest revolver I have shot.

Oh, I could go on and on...

Edited by Luv2rideWV

I really like taking a technological step back.

I like challenging myself - if there aren't any other revolver shooters, I shoot production and just push myself that harder. Even with 8 minor and potentially more competition, I will keep shooting 6 minor and pushing to achieve my personal best.

I have NEVER met a revolver shooter who wasn't cool, laid back and couldn't laugh at themself

I can count to 6 (sometimes)

Lee

Shooting a revolver makes me a better shooter. Mastering the trigger and the revolver reload and economy of movement made be a better shot. Once you practice shooting revolver with one hand, weak hand only etc and get good with it it brings a certain pride and joy to me.

Taking a recent defensive handgun course I was running my plastic fantastic G19, even shooting with the weak off hand the trigger felt like a little .22 target pistol to me after working the revolver.

I like shooting revolvers because,

1.) I saw Jerry do it and I was amazed at what he could do with one and that inspired me to shoot revolvers in competition.

2.) I enjoy the challenge of reloading a revolver while standing and especially while running

3.) Very few people shoot revolver in USPSA at Rio Salado, so I am different

4.) I like beating guys running autos especially the ones I can joke with about it.

5.) I like when I get compliments about how it is so cool that I can shoot and reload a revolver as fast as I do.

6.) I like being told I am crazy for shooting a 6 shot gun on a 40 round count stage at a hose masters match.

7.) I have learned to like not being able to miss one shot and to make my shots count or else I will have to do another reload.

8.) Lastly, I like the challenge and creativity required to break down a COF that isn't 6 shot friendly (which is damn near all of them).

Well I started out shooting autos. Moved back home and met Bubber. Started shooting wheel guns for fun and now my autos collect dust. I'm fully invested as I even run a dedicated revolver forum and travel all over to compete with the wheel gun... in my opinion you can't find better people than the ones that compete in revolver division.

Because I hated them for so long. Just like reading for enjoyment, it took me finding out for myself what's enjoyable about revolvers rather than that being the only handgun my father would allow me to shoot growing up. And once I discovered how awesome they are I had 3 within 3 months and have plans for at least 2 more just have to pony up the cash.

I like that they are made out of steel and wood.

During practice, my brass never hits the ground. This saves me having to tumble the brass before reloading.

I don't have to get down on my knees to pick up my cases.

I don't lose brass. (even at lost brass matches because I get my moonclips back)

The 617 (22 lr) revolver is the world's best crosstrainer for when you don't feel like shooting up your centefire ammunition. Same trigger pull, same weight.

Jerry Miculek is just "cool".

I can run Steel Challenge at an 88 powerfactor. The autos can even function at this level. It give me an advantage.

If I beat a bunch of autos it's looked upon with a lot of respect. If I lose, it's simply dismissed--they beat a revolver, big deal. I never look bad.

And the biggest reason of all-- your talent will go further in Revolver Division. If for example you're an "A" class shooter and you go to a big match such as the Steel Challenge and you're shooting an auto you will finish 50 shooters from the top. And your competing against all of the sponsored shooters.

If you go the same match with a revolver as an "A" class shooter you will actually have a shot at the podium. Huge difference. I gave this advice to a IDPA Glock shooter and he switched to revo and is this years defending SSR national champion. He would have never been able to win this title with the Glock. Competition was just too deep and filled with sponsored shooters. Now that he has earned that title, 20 years from now, he'll still be able to tell his grandchildren that he was a national champion. It just doesn't have the same ring to it as telling your grandkids that you were a master class shooter.

I can legally hunt deer with my 627. And the only thing that I have to do to the gun is drop in my 215 gr. cast bullets with a butt load of WW 296 behind them. I'm extremely ready for deer season--with the gun I practice with.

If I feel like it, that same 627 (8 3/8" bbl.) can be taken to an IHMSA silhouette match and in the production standing class, can be quite competitive at dropping the 200 meter rams. Most autos simply don't have this kind of flexibility.

i like shooting revolvers because 9 rounds in single stack is just too long to go between reloads.

For a serious reply, I like revolvers becasue they're so darn sexy to shoot and they make me look sexy too. Plus they make me work harder and a better shooter (along with Single Stack). I enjoy beating the semi autos, but a lot of times I'll enter Open and minor and compete with the wheelie. For Steel matches I'm as quick as most and shoot a lot less ammo to get my hits since I'm a little more limited on ammo capicity. I've got way more revolvers now than bottom feeders.

1. started out shooting with revolvers

2. I find myself generally more accurate with revolvers, even in DA

3. it is rhythmic

4. they are more aesthetically pleasing

5. lots of versatility in loadings

6. I hate chasing brass around

7. magazines are annoying

I did a few matches with revolvers and speedloaders a while ago and they were fun even though I didn't do that great

I'm wanting to get back into competitive shooting and I am trying hard not to choose to focus on revolver division...

Edited by polymerfeelsweirdman

1 - Other than the GSG 1911-22 pistol I just bought this week I only own revolvers (S&W Model 10 and S&W 638).

2 - I like the challenge of figuring out how to best shoot a 30 round stage six-shots at a time.

3 - I like the challenge of shooting Steel Challenge having only one spare shot per string.

4 - It's gratifying to hear semi-auto guys say you shoot well.

5 - I've already spent time shooting production/limited 10/limited with Glocks and an STI Edge.

6 - If no one else shows up you'll win your division! A win is a win, right?! :)

All well-rounded handgun shooters should know how to shoot a revolver competently.

On the other hand, all well-rounded handgun shooters should be proficient with auto-loading pistols also. :)

Hey i am well rounded....wait you did not mean that way...nevermind,,,,:)