Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Explain Why You like shooting Revolvers Or

IPSC_PRO

I like the way a revolver looks. I like the way the cylinder releases to the side. I like the way it feel to pull the trigger of a revolver in double and single action. I like the way the cylinder rotates as I'm pulling the trigger in double action. I like the feel of pulling the hammer back and feel and sound of the click. Put all that together and add the actual shooting part and it's just makes me happy;)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am happy and proud when I finish a long course with a time often lower than pistol shooters'.

It is a hard task to shoot fast and accurately knowning there is NO SPACE for additional reloads!

May be Virginia Count is out for O/L/M/P division but it is the rule for RSD!

When I shoot revolver in competition (and in other arenas) I feel more focused. I know that there is no room for additional reloads (although I see a number of revolver shooters making them intentionally as a matter of course). <_<

I have fun shooting .45 Colt in competition, and using an uncommon revolver to do it. My accuracy is usually very competitive, and time is my greatest challenge.

Knowing that every shot NEEDS to count makes for a different mindset than with an auto. When you know that you have 10+ rounds at your disposal before needing to reload it makes it easier to make "just in case" shots on targets beyond the 2 for paper or 1 for steel required.

I would imagine if revolver and auto shooters had a limited number of rounds for a match (say a match that required 215 rounds and the shooters only were allowed 230) then a higher percentage of revolver shooters would FINISH the match, and many auto shooters would run out before they could finish. Given an equal number of revolver and auto shooters, I think that higher number revolver shooters would finish. Added to that the scores of the auto shooters would suffer more than revolver shooters I believe with the ammunition limitation.

Lessee...in no particular order:

1. Ammo versatility:

a. From my 686, I can shoot everything from full-house .357s to target wadcutters to standard Short Colt to Speer primer-only rubber bullets with no FTFs, FTEs or cycling issues.

b. I can experiment with powder charges, crimps, OALs, and bullet style with no FTFs, FTEs or cycling issues.

c. Due to the relatively low pressure, I can reload my brass a bunch of times.

2. Chasing brass: A non-issue.

3. The double action trigger:

a. It's tough to master (we never really master it), but there's a certain Zen to it.

b. It's not easy to shoot a DA revolver accurately in DA. It's not easy to shoot a DA revolver fast in DA. And it's definitely not east to shoot a DA revolver fast and accurately in DA. I enjoy the challenge and feel a sense of accomplishment when I'm doing well. It's also not something a lot of people can do, which adds to the sense of accomplishment.

4. Reloads: Same as the double action trigger. See 3a and 3b.

5. Dry fire Revolvers are very amenable to dry fire and reloading practice.

6. Aesthetics: They just look right to me.

7. Grips: For at least popular models, there are plenty of grip options, so it's possible to fine-tune the gun to me, rather than the other way around.

#1. It's a lot more fun to shoot old school wheelguns, from the reloading sequence, to double action trigger pull. Slows you down a little and gives you more of a challenge.

#2. The way it affects other people around me. More often than not, it puts a smile on everyone's faces because you're shooting a revolver. Giving them some reason to laugh at and be happy. Helps to cut the tension of competition and increases the overall positive feeling of the day.

There's a built-in excuse when you shoot a revo and have a bad day, but it feels great to beat up on the bottom feeders when you have a good day!

Bottom feeders? I like that;) ONe other thing I would like to add is the fun of reloading my revolver in the heat of competition. Although I have never done so yet. I can just imagine how it would be. I have seen vids of guys reloading so fast and so smooth. They all used moon clips. I'm just guessing that in a uspsa type competition, it wouldn't be quite as fast or as smooth. One reason would be movement. Moving while reloading a revolver would probably be slower than reloading and then moving, but I'd like to do just that at times in the course. Practicing the reloading skill is fun. I practice with my eyes closed just for fun sometimes.

Always reload on the move, never reload and then move. It's much faster, but watch the 180! Avoid standing reloads. Revo is won and lost on reloads.

I "look" the reloads in by aligning the holes with my eye, if I don't have much or any movement. I'll do it blind if I have to watch where I'm going. The goal is to break the first shot as soon as you plant your feet.

Some guys can use speedloaders as fast as moonclips, but I'm not one of those guys.

Then again, I'm not setting the world on fire, so ymmv. Make up dummies and practice, practice!

Shooting revolver is somewhat like dating a full figured, less than stunning woman

-it's comfortable

-it will almost never disappoint you

-it's not finicky

-you can feed it nearly anything

-it doesn't care much about OAL

-it's stout, reliable, and durable

-you don't need to clean it much

-you can dryfire it all the time

Sure your buddies may laugh and call you crazy but who cares? :roflol:

Dave

Shooting revolver is somewhat like dating a full figured, less than stunning woman

-it's comfortable

-it's not finicky

Dave

That's some FUNNY sh!t. :roflol:

-it's comfortable

-it's not finicky

Dave

I think Dave has it all covered. :cheers: I mean the reasons not her face! :surprise:

:rolleyes:

I havent shot that many revolver type matchs but the folks at the ones I have shot are just

really good people.

And revolvers are fun to work on/other guns are fun also=revolvers are special.

Just a welcome change all around!

Jim/Pa

Sailors :blink::goof::devil:

Always reload on the move, never reload and then move. It's much faster, but watch the 180! Avoid standing reloads. Revo is won and lost on reloads.

I "look" the reloads in by aligning the holes with my eye, if I don't have much or any movement. I'll do it blind if I have to watch where I'm going. The goal is to break the first shot as soon as you plant your feet.

Some guys can use speedloaders as fast as moonclips, but I'm not one of those guys.

Then again, I'm not setting the world on fire, so ymmv. Make up dummies and practice, practice!

I made 12 dummie rounds. Loaded up two metal moonclips and started practicing on my Wessinger 625. It was fun, fun, fun. I'm learning the beast way to hold the loaded clip. The best way to incert the rounds into the cylinder. I'm using the strong had loading method only because that's the method I use when loading my 686 with hks speedloaders. I think that's not the only reason. I think loading with the strong hand is more fun. It's a stronger reloading method. I'm holding the cylinder in place with my strong hand which for me makes for a more positive,firm reload. I loaded the first moon clip the wrong way and struggled incerting each round into each "notch". I haven't tried the rimz polymer clips yet. My son did a couple of reloads too. The Wessinger is going to be his gun if we compete together. I am assuming I will be using the Fletcher 625. We shall see.

I like shooting revolvers because of their reliability and simple operation. I only shoot S&W revolvers, and do all my own custom work. Autos and Single Shots are male and Revolvers are female.(More holes). So as a gun doctor who specializes, that makes me the Gunocologist. :rolleyes:

I like shooting Revo first of all because of the revo shooters themselves. We are out there to compete and win but we are not going for the Caddillac so we have fun with each other. No matter how bad you do we will still kick you when you are down, in a fun sorta way. There is more to do with Revo. It is not hit the sweet spot hit all your targets and then get to the spot. We look for places to hit targets from different positions and hit the targets. If we find an edge or angle we share with the other revos shooters and warn them when we see them forgetting a target on their walk through. And I just love when a R.O. asks "How do you remember all that stuff" When I shoot targets from different positions than the rest of the shooters. :sight: later rdd

Toolguy I still need tto take a few classes to get my Gunocologist degree. :roflol:

Edited by Bubber

Shooting a revolver in a squad of guys shooting Glocks feels like showing up to a street race in a 32 Ford where everyone else is rolling a Turbo charged Honda. You dont expect to be first at the finish line, but you are darn sure that you are going to have fun getting there with class and style. B)

Don't forget the open and limited shooters that complain how long we take. I might shoot the stage in twice the time as you (6-20 seconds or so slower) but I don't take 5 minutes at load and make ready (5 draws, turn on the dot, adjust the dot, check every mag, load a mag, chamber, remove mag and replace same ((must get that 29th round in there)) adjust all mags on belt, etc.). And then the joy of beating them every once in a while. And not to forget all the reasons above by others, yes revo shooters are the best of the breed, in my opinion