Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp Cleaning

RH45

Mix up a little and drop a lead bullet into it. Leave it in there for a while. Seeing is believing.

As for the other crud in your barrel, the 50/50 peroxide and vinegar mix will not touch it. I usually clean the barrel with Outers, then soak in the mix for a while, brush with a stainless steel brush, and repeat soak if necessary and rebrush. Finish with a good scrubbing with a little more Outers and coat with a little oil.

Bill

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard of wrapping the comp with tape and using an electrochemical bore cleaner. Supposably it works fairly well. I use ammonia and vinager (sp) and distilled water in my home made ECBC and it works great.

Joe

I've use an outer foulout II to get the lead of the comp

it turns it into a black goop that you wipe out with a q-tip

but it takes hours to get to that point, I gave up and went back to scraping the crud out.

Was putting some numbers on stuff the other day and the lites came on. One electric engraver, (4.99 at Harbor Freight) one new shaft ( 1\8 drill rod and E-clip and a nylon base) long enough to reach in the compensator one electrical outlet. Like a little jackhammer for your gun!!!!

Not even going to show you how much came out of my old pin gun :lol:

clean2.jpg

clean1.jpg

That sounds a lot eaiser than my method....old fashioned dental pick!

Make the jackhammer pick out of brass or aluminum and there's a decent chance of not dinging up anything important as well.

I've done similar with a Dremel-- just put a feeler gauge over the muzzle to keep the crown in shape.

To clean my comp, I use a 50/50 mix of peroxide and vinegar. It will take the lead out of a barrel in a few minutes.

Can anyone out there confirm this ??? :huh:

I'm getting ready to send my blaster off to Tripp for hard-chrome.

PS I have more dirt / carbon than I do lead. Just want to clean it up a little 1st.

The vinegar/peroxide mix is the ONLY thing that would get the lead out of my comp. It tunrs it soft and spongy so you can scrape it out with a popsicle stick.

As for flame-broiled hard carbon: that is the hardest thing on eart to remove from steel. If anybody ever invents any liquid that dissolves it without scrubbing or eating the flesh off your fingers, I will buy a 50 gallon drum.

To clean my comp, I use a 50/50 mix of peroxide and vinegar. It will take the lead out of a barrel in a few minutes.

Can anyone out there confirm this ??? :huh:

Yes, it works very well. As noted, it will pit carbon steel and will eat aluminum (and possibly titanium). I hadn't thought about hard-chromed steel, but I would think it would be okay.

Also, the mixture is supposedly toxic with the lead dissolved into it. Be sure to dispose of it properly.

But the question that's been 'eating' at me (yes pun intended) is does it work on that stubborn burnt-on carbon ???

We all know how hard it is to get most cleaning tools in those little chambers, so I am looking for something that really disolves it away. A liquid if possible.

Probably not the best advise, but here goes anyway!

Hang pistol barrel with muzzle pointing down, and spray comp area with carb. cleaner, or electrical parts cleaner(the kind in a spraycan)...until the liquid dripping runs clear. If the stubborn stuff stays stuck, I just use a large bottle of Hoppe's(soak awhile), and repeat above process. My comp isn't spotless, but it is cleaned to my standards.....

Don't forget to run some patches through the bore after doing this, to remove anything that may have been blasted into it!

Scott B

A while back I took a crud-filled comp and a pile of the match freebie sample cleaners and went to town.. by far the best at pure baked-on-carbon was the new Hoppes 'elite' stuff. Didn't work great for lead or anything else, but it took down the carbon like nothing else.

A while back I took a crud-filled comp and a pile of the match freebie sample cleaners and went to town.. by far the best at pure baked-on-carbon was the new Hoppes 'elite' stuff. Didn't work great for lead or anything else, but it took down the carbon like nothing else.

I've had good luck with the Slip2000 Carbon Cutter. The green stuff in a jar. I use it on my open gun comps and AR-15 bolts and carriers. 10-15 minutes in the stuff and the carbon just melts off.

I've had good luck with the Slip2000 Carbon Cutter. The green stuff in a jar. I use it on my open gun comps and AR-15 bolts and carriers. 10-15 minutes in the stuff and the carbon just melts off.

I saw some demos of it at the Steel Challenge, but nobody gave me a sample jar, so it wasn't in the test ;)

Hey guys - Just got my first Open gun yesterday and man am I psyched. This forum is great, I can't belive how much information is here. Thanks to all the veterans for passing their knowledge on to us noobs. Anyway, a** kissing aside, I was wondering what affect this 50/50 Peroxide/Vinegar lead remover would have on bluing?

• 3 months later...

Is it bad that I finally convinced a friend to clean out his comp and we got over 100 grains of lead and carbon out of it. He was actually suprized to see that the botom of the comp was squared off.

It is AMAZING how much "stuff" will build up in a comp. I use a battery powered dremel with a small skinny bit....some people will tell you NOT to use a dremel but it works BEST for ME......granted BE CAREFUL not to get it into the sides of the comp.....use the small skinny bit and you should have NO problems!!

Randal

OK, thanks for the tip. I have no trouble cleaning the last chamber of the comp but those first three are murder the closer you get to the barrel. I am looking for any help I can get at this point.

Joe W.