Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp Cleaning

RH45

I bought a used open gun in .38 super, a while back that the previous owner had apparently shot lead through, because the comp has lead in it. I scrapped the biggest chunks out, with a jewler's screwdriver, then tried soaking it in mineral spirits for a week, thinking that may soften it up, or help release it. That didn't help, a bit.

I then soaked it in Kroil for a week with no apparent results.

Anybody out there any ideas??

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lynn,

I thought of borrowing a dremel tool, but, my eyes aren't what they used to be, and I didn't want to screw anything up. That is also why I am going to an "open" gun. I was HOPING there was something that somebody knew of that I could soak it in to remove it.

I don't use lead. I pretty much only use Zero bullets.

I never really thought of trying a search. I'm not real computer literate, and if some of this stuff is spelled wrong, that tells you that if there is a "spell check" I haven't found it yet.

Thanks!

Randy

RH45,

I also use Zero bullets (115gr fmj) but they have exposed lead on the base. The powder melts some of the lead and ends up in the comp.

Be careful with the dremel and carbide cutters. My comp has a very smooth finish inside of the chambers and the lead has very little to "grab" onto. I can get a small screwdriver or ice pick and the lead "pops" out in large chunks. If the comp finish is not smooth the lead has something to hold onto and can really be hard to remove.

One of my buddys had a nice comp but got lazy one time and used the Dremel and carbide cutter trick to clean the comp. The cutting bit left small scrapes and notches inside of the comp and the lead could not easily be removed with a small hand tools again.

Leo

Hello Randy,

I've used the cheapie $45.00 portable Outers Foul Out to clean the lead out of my comp many times. It takes a while but it does a pretty good job. To save on the Lead Out chemical and any possible barrel pitting I plug the barrel and tape up any side vents in the comp with duct tape. Then I insert the Foul Out rod through the exit port in the comp using one of the Outers O-rings to seal the port and rod. I clamp the barrel horizontally in a vise and fill the comp chambers with the Lead Out chemical and turn on the Foul Out. Every couple of hours I clean off the collected lead from the rod and top off the Lead Out chemical.

I heard rumors but have never been able to verify them about the Foul Out pitting barrels if left too long so I block off the barrel when I'm cleaning the comp because it can take several hours or longer if it's really lead fouled.

Nolan,

I bought one of the "foul outs" when they first came out. I don't remember what guns I tried it on, but, it didn't do anything for any of the guns I tried, so, I returned it to where I bought it from. I very well COULD have got a bad one, that seems to be the story of my life. Maybe I'll buy another one, and give it a try.

Thanks for the information!

Randy

Randy: when he said lead he was talking about the Zero bullets you are using; they have an exposed lead base that causes lead to be deposited in the comp. Switch to a Jacketed Hollow Point (JHP for short) since the base of JHPs do not have exposed lead. Good luck & let us know what you discover. C.

I went in to my reloading room to look at my bullets. They are Zero 125 grain jacketed, hollow points. I don't see any lead at the base. The only place I see any lead, is if I look in to the hollow point.

I think I have a couple of quarts of Hoppe's around here, somewhere. I'll take some and put it in a jar, just so it is high enough to soak the ports on the comp. I'll let you know the results, in a few days.

I wouldn't let it build up, it was that way when I bought it. Maybe, it isn't hurting anything, but, I think it looks awful.

Thanks for all the help!!

Here's my secret way of getting lead out of a comp. Plug both ends of the barrel and tape everything up except the comp chamber and put it in the bead blaster with some heavy beads. looks brand new in no time. Don't forget to unplug the barrel and give it a good cleaning. Soaking in Hoppes never worked very well for me and it will attack the locktite if left long enough.

All the above are good suggestions, and I have a few to add.

I shoot lead bullets in my open gun for practice and after about 400 rounds of practice the comp does get a little lead buildup. My solution is to shoot some WD 40 in the comp before I start and then shoot 10 115gr full power loads through at the end of the practice session. This usually cleans out all of the lead. It seems to work better if the gun is still warm from the practice. Shooting the 115's the next day does not work as well.

If this doesn't work I use the dremel tool carefully and put some WD 40 in the comp afterwards.

My open teammates, all shooting leadt through their S_I for practice, usually clean the comp/barrel by dipping them in Hydrogen Peroxide 120 volumes strenght (33% concentration): this will produce lotsa bubbles and will scrap the lead out of the comp.

I always use a Dremel tool to clean the compensator of my gun. And to prevent any build-up I use the Carter's Comp Spray as well.

But like Erik says, there's always a new build up.

Using the Dremel is the easiest way to clean the comp, but use it with care!

DVC, Henny.

PaulB: If I shoot lead through my limited, or IDPA guns, I also run a mag of jacketed through afterwords. It is a lot easier than using a lead remover, or a lead removing cloth, for cleaning the barrell, but, on the open gun, the lead is in the ports, where the bullets don't touch them.

Skywalker67: As of right now, I have been soaking the comp in Hoppe's #9, for about 36 hours, as was suggested on a previous post. If I get time tonight, I'll see if that helped. If it didn't, I'll get some H.P., and give it a try.

Eventhough it may work the best, with my poor vision, I'm afraid to use a Dremel.

Where do you suggest the best place to get some of the "Carter's" spray?

Thanks everybody for the help!!!

RH45, got your on the lead in the ports and in the hollows. My 115gr bullets over N105 will even blow this lead out if it hasn't been totally impacted by sitting around too long or multiple layers. The comp literally shoots the lead up and out with the gases. It works for me and hope it's just as easy for you.

I wouldn't recommend it but, an old guy (who now has passed away) use to soak his comps in mercury. When they were pulled out, they were clean! Like I said before, not recommended. Very poisonous!!!

I taked my comps off and heat them up with a torch. Let cool, then pick the chucks out, then sandblast. Look like new when finished. This was my standard practice after heavy pin shooting. My comp would rotate loose anyway after several thousand rounds. Make sure you where sufficient breathing masks for lead.

Normally I pick at the lead with dental tools or worn small screwdrivers.

I've got a good source for teflon mold release used on glass filled plastics, rubbers and nothing works. Believe me, no product helps much.

Paul

I have used a mixture of hdydrgen proxid and white vinager 50 50 mix.

This will remove lead deposits from everything ie: scope lens, barrel mounts.

!!!CAUTION !!! THIS CAN DO DAMAGE TO SOME TYPE OF FINISHING!!

My comp and barrel are stainless and fit in a Zip lock baggie. let it soak for a few minnits depending on how dirty it is. Works great

Well, after about 72 hours, I pulled it out of the Hoppes #9. I could see gray stuff, in the hollows, of the comp. I took a jewlers screwdriver to it, and it wiped right off. Now, what I have left, in the hollows, is some crusty, black stuff, that is hard as a rock. Do you suppose this is a carbon build up?

Any ideas on anything to soak in, that will remove it, without taking off the bluing, or eating the metal??

Thanks again for all the help, so far!!

I shoot all lead out of my super for the past seven years. Lots of them. what I did was made a scraper out of a screwdriver that fits the chambers of the comp. I clean the comp out after the gun is hot from a rapid mag or two. Then I add the wd40.

• 2 months later...

I normally drop a few drops of FP10 oil in my comp ports at the end of practice and run a mag full of JHP's major loads through it. This seems to work well for me. I agree it has something to do with the heat from running it, then the JHP's and the oil just kinda force the lead out.

I use almost nothing but lead for practice.